The Student Room Group

I stood up for myself at work (Sainsbury's) and now I feel anxious?

So I'm a fashion journalism student and I work part time at Sainsbury's for about a year now. Over summer I've picked up hours and have been full time to earn more money, and as I am saving I've worked insane amounts (fifteenth day with no day off AAAH!) We have a deputy, a manager and a team leader and the team leader I feel like she's been picking on me for talking and more so when she does 'tell me off' she does it in the most patronising way and it seriously winds me up. A few days ago and shouted in my face for no reason, and yesterday five of us were standing in the fitting room (I was meant to be in there) and everyone just came in and started chatting while I kept working. She stormed in and had a huge go at everyone, and everyone ended up leaving until she was just standing there shouting at ME. And with the amount I've been working for the company I decided I didn't want to be spoken to like **** anymore and that I should be more appreciated because I work hard and never finish a job undone! So I spoke up and I said your delivery is really aggressive and I think you're patronising, and to stop shouting at me infront of customers which is just embarrassing! Now I've got it off my chest I feel better and she thanked me for being honest, but I'm just worried that I'm going to get told on by her and sacked now. And I can't lose my job! Opinions?
Sod that, I would have gone ape$%&*. In fact there was one occasion I got suspended for threatening to hit my supervisor if he kept talkin to me like a bastard. I didnt work there for long anyway.
Well it is a good thing that you spoke up to her lol. She does sound really mental though :/ I have no idea why she picked on you and she shouldn't have picked on you in the first place.

I doubt you will lose your job though
Reply 3
You are going to be fine. She has behaved badly, so she would be in trouble too with the manager of the team. You had colleagues there watching while she had a go, and she should know that. With any luck, she will realise she has been unprofessional and will get better at being a leader.
Well done you did the best thing, don't act apologetic, just keep your head high and she won't mess with you. Sometimes you've got to put people in their place especially in retail :smile:
I'm a deputy manager at ALDI and my boss is one of those traditional ones. I remember on my FIRST day he sent me home because I wasn't clean shaven. If you do something wrong, he will let you know. If you do something that "pisses him off", he will shout at you. I once got a mouthful for not lining the boxes straight after I stocked the shelves. I understand that aggressive bosses can be irritating but I always think it's best to take the blow. In saying that, however, your manager might have more respect for you knowing that you have a backbone and will stand up to confrontation. Luckily for you, you're doing a degree and don't need the job so I wouldn't worry about it. I'm trying to work my way up through the company so complaining about the management is the last thing I should do.

Sent from phone. Sorry for the grammar.
(edited 7 years ago)
In my opinion in a job like that it's just not worth risking getting fired - I would just take it, shake it off and move on, you're there to make money not develop your career or have fun and tbh something like the fitting room thing, it's easy to see lots of people talking and assume it's everyone so it's an easy mistake to make

it sounds like your manager was alright with it but I think you got very lucky, I wouldn't push back again like that if you can help it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending