The Student Room Group

Do the subjects I take for A-Level truly matter? (Going into Y12)

I've been looking at different university entry requirements and it seems most of them look at the UCAS points rather than the subjects you took, so I was going to ask you guys whether it mattered as to which subjects I really took? I'm not expecting to go to a university such as Oxford/Cambridge though definitely a Russel Group uni or whatever.

These are the subjects I was planning to take, I was initially going to take Maths however I only just scraped an A and don't really think I would do too well at A Level.

- English Literature (love English and I did very well at GCSE)
- Biology (it was easy for me at GCSE and I kind of enjoy it)
- Media Studies, it was in the block I had to choose from. I feel like it'd kind of be an easy grade, per say? I've always been good at English hence why I'm choosing to take it at A-Level.
- I was going to take either Computer Science or Film Studies; hear me out on this one! Probably the most difficult choice so far. I want some diversity in my choices, hence why I'm hesitant to take Film Studies since it's so similar to Media/Lit or whatever, I also know it's probably not a 'respectable' A-Level however I have been told that points matter more than the subject itself.

I want to take CS too however the courses I've been looking at from different universities don't require you to have an A-Level in Computer Science, seeing how it's recently new, they only look at UCAS points, so I don't really think it is too big of a problem.

Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do as a career path. It was initially something to do with Architecture but since I'm not taking Physics/Maths I highly doubt that's a possibility. With the subjects I'm taking I'll go into something English based or possibly Software Engineering.

Thank you, I could really do with some advice. I'm young still. :frown:
Original post by Wikia
I've been looking at different university entry requirements and it seems most of them look at the UCAS points rather than the subjects you took, so I was going to ask you guys whether it mattered as to which subjects I really took? I'm not expecting to go to a university such as Oxford/Cambridge though definitely a Russel Group uni or whatever.

These are the subjects I was planning to take, I was initially going to take Maths however I only just scraped an A and don't really think I would do too well at A Level.

- Media Studies, it was in the block I had to choose from. I feel like it'd kind of be an easy grade, per say? I've always been good at English hence why I'm choosing to take it at A-Level.
- I was going to take either Computer Science or Film Studies; hear me out on this one! Probably the most difficult choice so far. I want some diversity in my choices, hence why I'm hesitant to take Film Studies since it's so similar to Media/Lit or whatever, I also know it's probably not a 'respectable' A-Level however I have been told that points matter more than the subject itself.

I want to take CS too however the courses I've been looking at from different universities don't require you to have an A-Level in Computer Science, seeing how it's recently new, they only look at UCAS points, so I don't really think it is too big of a problem.

Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do as a career path. It was initially something to do with Architecture but since I'm not taking Physics/Maths I highly doubt that's a possibility. With the subjects I'm taking I'll go into something English based or possibly Software Engineering.

Hi. What unis and courses are you looking at? I don't think any of the Russel Group ones often make offers based on UCAS points (I may be wrong). Do you mean unis require grades without specifying a subject, like AAB?

Which A levels you take are probably more important for sciences than arts, but respected A levels which are related to your course will help your application. To do computer science you need A-level maths, so if you don't like maths much I'd rule it out, and build you subject choices around English. Maybe another essay-based subject like history? Media and film studies are seen as softer subjects, don't take both but one is fine as a fourth subject.
Reply 2
If you want to do Computer Science, you really need to do Maths. You describe loving English, so perhaps that the humanities path is a better one to go down? You could do English, Media Studies, History (?) and then a 4th if you want (but doing 4 A-levels is not required really).

Is there any particular reason that you are drawn to Computer Science?
Original post by Wikia

If it's not too late, read this about A-level choices: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320/informedchoices.pdf. As pointed out by others, RG (and other good) unis make offers based on A-level grades not total points. Choosing both Media and Film Studies would be unwise because of their similarity and their perceived weakness.

As advised above, Maths verges on being a necessity if you want to study CS.
Reply 4
Original post by jpxw
If you want to do Computer Science, you really need to do Maths. You describe loving English, so perhaps that the humanities path is a better one to go down? You could do English, Media Studies, History (?) and then a 4th if you want (but doing 4 A-levels is not required really).

Is there any particular reason that you are drawn to Computer Science?

Sorry but this is very wrong, it is frustrating seeing people advise against doing computer science if you don't take maths. I have two friends who got a b at GCSE, worse than op and didn't do a level and they both go to Newcastle and are Doingvery well. Maths is only Vital at the very top Unis like top 5-10 so the minority, but in the field it isn't required and op could easily become a software engineer without like many people do.

Same for economics and accounting and finance, maybe it is more important here however to do maths a level, but again it is the minority of Unis who require it; particulary for accounting and finance.

Op, doing be out of by having to be forced to do a level maths, there's a reason the large majority of Unis don't require it. you will be in a great position still with an A in GCSE, they also provide lots of extra classes if required at uni if help with maths is needed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sindyscape62
Hi. What unis and courses are you looking at? I don't think any of the Russel Group ones often make offers based on UCAS points (I may be wrong). Do you mean unis require grades without specifying a subject, like AAB?

Which A levels you take are probably more important for sciences than arts, but respected A levels which are related to your course will help your application. To do computer science you need A-level maths, so if you don't like maths much I'd rule it out, and build you subject choices around English. Maybe another essay-based subject like history? Media and film studies are seen as softer subjects, don't take both but one is fine as a fourth subject.

Again, the maths is really not required to do computer science, with an A in GCSE op could still apply to many top Unis, it is only the very top mathematical ones that require it. Most are fine with a B+ at GCSE and some midtable ones even a C+.
Make sure you look at a lot of unis entry requirements to see if they specify subjects. Usually only maths and english are specified for specific courses.
Original post by revisor1233333
Make sure you look at a lot of unis entry requirements to see if they specify subjects. Usually only maths and english are specified for specific courses.

E.g. maths a level may be required for accounting. It depends on what you wna do at uni
Original post by Wikia

You don't need maths or physics to study architecture
https://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/CareersInArchitecture/ThinkArchitecture.pdf

You do need to be a draw-er and to be able to produce a portfolio of drawing and 3d studies (ideally from life not photos)
Original post by alexp98
Again, the maths is really not required to do computer science, with an A in GCSE op could still apply to many top Unis, it is only the very top mathematical ones that require it. Most are fine with a B+ at GCSE and some midtable ones even a C+.

I've looked through the Russell group list and Cardiff, Queen Mary University London, Queen's University Belfast and Newcastle (and Lancaster, which isn't Russell group but highly ranked) don't require maths while
Leeds and Liverpool will accept Computing instead of maths. So yes, it's definitely possible to do Computer Science as a degree without A level maths. However, it does restrict your choices a lot, and if you don't enjoy maths, you may not enjoy computer science.

The OP seems to have much more passion for English, so I'd advise focusing on that- a conversion course after an English Literature degree could help them go into computing as a job.
Whilst there are universities who will accept you without Maths for Computer Science most of the leading universities do require Maths at A level. In the South/ South West Bath, Bristol, Exeter and Southampton do require A level Maths. In the West Midlands Warwick requires it and Birmingham require Maths or Computer Science A level. Amongst other leading universities wanting Maths are Durham and the London Universities of UCL and Imperial. there are a number of others who require it so check things out before deciding on your A level subjects
Original post by swansea jack 1
Whilst there are universities who will accept you without Maths for Computer Science most of the leading universities do require Maths at A level. In the South/ South West Bath, Bristol, Exeter and Southampton do require A level Maths. In the West Midlands Warwick requires it and Birmingham require Maths or Computer Science A level. Amongst other leading universities wanting Maths are Durham and the London Universities of UCL and Imperial. there are a number of others who require it so check things out before deciding on your A level subjects

Agreed, it is actually only the top 15 that do require it which is why it confuses me how people say it's vital because over 95% clearly don't. The 'math' required is very different anyway and they start from scratch :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending