The Student Room Group

International student : how to see a gynecologist?

Hi all :smile:

I am a French student coming to the University of Edinburgh starting next week for a year of exchange programme. I would like to ask how appointments for sexual health matters work in Edinburgh.

More specifically, I have a couple issues I would like to discuss with a gynecologist (though none of them involve urgent symptoms or anything, more like concerns with my nexplanon implant), and I would also like to have a complete health screening down there. As in, not only an std test, but also for thrush, a check-up of whether the good bacteria are doing okay, and an estrogen level test. I also need a booster shot for a hepatitis B vaccine.

I have no idea who I should turn towards to proceed with all that, should I register with a GP first? Go to a clinic?

Thank you for your kind help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
You need to register with a GP and they will talk to you and decide what do you or don't need. You may not get a complete health check up unless needed though but again your GP will advise.
Reply 2
Okay, great. Thank you for your quick and helpful reply :smile:
Register with a GP and I think they'll refer you if you need one :smile:
Original post by yeon
Hi all :smile:

I am a French student coming to the University of Edinburgh starting next week for a year of exchange programme. I would like to ask how appointments for sexual health matters work in Edinburgh.

More specifically, I have a couple issues I would like to discuss with a gynecologist (though none of them involve urgent symptoms or anything, more like concerns with my nexplanon implant), and I would also like to have a complete health screening down there. As in, not only an std test, but also for thrush, a check-up of whether the good bacteria are doing okay, and an estrogen level test. I also need a booster shot for a hepatitis B vaccine.

I have no idea who I should turn towards to proceed with all that, should I register with a GP first? Go to a clinic?

Thank you for your kind help :smile:

GUM clinic or GP most can be done at the first one and faster some you may have to visit GP for.

Quick Reply

Latest