The Student Room Group

Meeting cousin for first time in 11 years and feeling really nervous

11 years ago my dad and my uncle had a massive falling out and they have hardly spoken to each other since. After the fallout I obviously lost contact with my cousin and I haven't seen her for 11 years. A few months ago my cousin found me and my sisters on Facebook and messaged us telling us that she has disowned her dad because of the way he treated her and she wanted for us to meet up.

I don't have any feud with my cousin so me and my sisters agreed to meet up with her. My cousin is due to come and visit next week and now I'm just really nervous about the whole thing, I am looking forward to seeing her but I'm also nervous because I've not seen her since I was 10 years old.

Does anyone have any tips for me for when I meet her?
Original post by Anonymous
11 years ago my dad and my uncle had a massive falling out and they have hardly spoken to each other since. After the fallout I obviously lost contact with my cousin and I haven't seen her for 11 years. A few months ago my cousin found me and my sisters on Facebook and messaged us telling us that she has disowned her dad because of the way he treated her and she wanted for us to meet up.

I don't have any feud with my cousin so me and my sisters agreed to meet up with her. My cousin is due to come and visit next week and now I'm just really nervous about the whole thing, I am looking forward to seeing her but I'm also nervous because I've not seen her since I was 10 years old.

Does anyone have any tips for me for when I meet her?

It'll be strange for you both, OP. :yep: The only thing you've got to do is be yourself, make her a cup of tea or coffee and chill out and catch up with everything you've missed. It sounds like you used to be close so this could be an amazing opportunity to get an old friend back in your life. It's understandable that you'd be nervous and anyone would be in the situation - but just be yourself and she'll be herself and it'll go great. I promise. :hugs:

Do let us know how it goes!
Just meet her and be yourself - i had a similar experience earlier this year but with a 20 year gap. Met with 2 cousins and their families and im glad that i did. Dont be nervous - dont expect to be best friends just be friendly and things will be fine between you.
Reply 3
Original post by iEthan
It'll be strange for you both, OP. :yep: The only thing you've got to do is be yourself, make her a cup of tea or coffee and chill out and catch up with everything you've missed. It sounds like you used to be close so this could be an amazing opportunity to get an old friend back in your life. It's understandable that you'd be nervous and anyone would be in the situation - but just be yourself and she'll be herself and it'll go great. I promise. :hugs:

Do let us know how it goes!

We did used to be really close until my dad and my uncle fell out. So I am looking forward to getting back in touch.
I agree with the others OP, just be yourself :smile:! Your cousin is probably just as nervous as you are but I'm sure she'll be herself too. Just relax and it'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending