The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Stalling. I drove home from school today and stalled like 3 times in a row at a busy roundabout even though I never usually do! Ugh it's knocked my confidence so bad, maybe i just had a bad day.
Original post by Jack22031994
she was creeping at a roundabout (slowly), and way before she had got the white line, the examiner hit the brakes . Her instructor isn't happy about it.

Oh no! That's not good :frown:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Another lesson down.
Seem to be a lot better on the breaking - still at war with the clutch when breaking by the looks of things (although I did stop successfully a lot more than previously). He had me reversing into a parking bay as well which went quite well (although it's awful judging how far the kerb is from your back wheel).
Original post by Muttski
Another lesson down.
Seem to be a lot better on the breaking - still at war with the clutch when breaking by the looks of things (although I did stop successfully a lot more than previously). He had me reversing into a parking bay as well which went quite well (although it's awful judging how far the kerb is from your back wheel).

Ah that's good:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Muttski
Another lesson down.

That's good that you're making progress. In terms of braking, put the clutch down just when you're about to stop and roll it into 1st gear before you've actually stopped, that also helps to not forget what gear you're in try and move off in 3rd, lol
Meeting & approaching on narrow roads when you have parked cars on one or both sides. Sometimes I struggle with judgment & stuff in them situations, that's definitely my main achilles heel. Plus generally I need to be more confident behind the wheel & always keep concentration.
Guys I've finally passed my driving test today with 6 minors! Such a relief 🎉🎉🎉🎉💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 807
Original post by ohhello92x
Guys I've finally passed my driving test today with 6 minors! Such a relief 🎉🎉🎉🎉💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!!!! :smile: Over the moon for you :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Congratulations!!!! :smile: Over the moon for you :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you :hugs:!:biggrin:
Can't believe I passed :biggrin: part of me thought I had failed :colondollar: but oh well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that she's changed her car 4 times :angry::angry:
Reply 810
Considering changing my test to a later date as I don't feel ready. My test is in about 2 weeks and haven't had many lessons due to going back to uni and falling really ill (I still am ill).

But the next available date is in the middle of December :frown: not sure what to do.
Original post by fkx
Considering changing my test to a later date as I don't feel ready. My test is in about 2 weeks and haven't had many lessons due to going back to uni and falling really ill (I still am ill).

But the next available date is in the middle of December :frown: not sure what to do.

Aw bless. Well do what you is best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spock's socks
so after a year out of lessons due to my health, i'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when i first started and thought i'd make another :colondollar:

i think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or i don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, i was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

posted from tsr mobile

congratulations on 11 gems!! :2012:
Reply 813
Original post by caitlintheshark
congratulations on 11 gems!! :2012:

Thank you :hugs:
Reply 814
Original post by ohhello92x
Aw bless. Well do what you is best

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on passing btw!

I think I am going to change it and look for cancellations, its on the 24th of this month so not too long to go but I don't feel ready.
Original post by fkx
Congratulations on passing btw!

I think I am going to change it and look for cancellations, its on the 24th of this month so not too long to go but I don't feel ready.

Thank you :biggrin:!

Ah fair enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A problem I have which I think is specific to me is that when I take one hand off the wheel to change gears, I start drifting even if I focus on the road. It's so annoying and I can't help it a lot.
Even worse, sometimes when I'm changing gears am not sure if I'm in 3rd, 4th, neutral or what and I panic and then stall - it happens rarely though, but if I make this mistake it knocks my confidence and I continue making other stupid mistakes.
I'm pretty much that person everyone looks at to feel better about themselves.
Reply 817
I decided that two weeks wasn't going to be enough, so changed my driving test.

It's now in the middle of December, which gives me a month and a half to get ready for it. I think I'll go back to doing weekly lessons as well.

Anyone else have their test coming up?
Original post by fkx
I decided that two weeks wasn't going to be enough, so changed my driving test.

It's now in the middle of December, which gives me a month and a half to get ready for it. I think I'll go back to doing weekly lessons as well.

Anyone else have their test coming up?

Aw fair enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My driving instructor just got a new car and I hate it so much, I want to cry every time I have a lesson lol

Hill starts and stops are honestly my worst enemy, I have no idea what I'm doing and end up panicking and stalling :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending