The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ohhello92x
I agree with you there with driving more and everything becoming 2nd nature. I passed on my 3rd attempt at the beginning of last month, and had my car for about 3 weeks (I think) now and I just drive around at every opportunity I get, so driving to and from work/uni and driving into town, etc. It's just getting that confidence without an instructor by your side and being alone whilst driving is the main thing really :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I notice as well that the whole multi-tasking thing just becomes easier as you think about everything less and less. My friend who passed his test a year ago still can't hold a conversation when he's coming up to a roundabout, for example - either he's talking on the approach and he stops talking whilst he's concentrating, or if you're talking to him you can tell he's not really listening. I was the same tbh, but now I can concentrate properly on a conversation because I'm not even really thinking about what I'm doing, it's just so automatic. Took a good while to get to that point, but I've now driven over roundabouts hundreds and hundreds of times and second nature just takes over so you don't have to give it so much conscious thought, I suppose you just automatically act on what your eyes see because you've been in the same scenario so many times.
Original post by Jimmy Carr
I notice as well that the whole multi-tasking thing just becomes easier as you think about everything less and less. My friend who passed his test a year ago still can't hold a conversation when he's coming up to a roundabout, for example - either he's talking on the approach and he stops talking whilst he's concentrating, or if you're talking to him you can tell he's not really listening. I was the same tbh, but now I can concentrate properly on a conversation because I'm not even really thinking about what I'm doing, it's just so automatic. Took a good while to get to that point, but I've now driven over roundabouts hundreds and hundreds of times and second nature just takes over so you don't have to give it so much conscious thought, I suppose you just automatically act on what your eyes see because you've been in the same scenario so many times.

Yeah exactly, since passing my test I find when I drive alone I don't stall as much but when I have someone in the car I stall more :colondollar: but to be fair that's gotten better with me not stalling as much and it's getting less and less frequent :redface:! I also find that I'm still getting used to parking in between parked cars as I've never really got the practice to actually do reverse park in between parked cars (maybe the odd once or twice) when I had lessons so it's just getting that practice in when going into a car park and parking :colondollar: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
when coming up to a junction i slow down and put it in 1st as i roll up, then brake and clutch down (and potentially stop depending on road). Is this right or should i be in 2nd longer as im worried ill stall if i dont go into 1st.
Original post by Rainbowcorn
when coming up to a junction i slow down and put it in 1st as i roll up, then brake and clutch down (and potentially stop depending on road). Is this right or should i be in 2nd longer as im worried ill stall if i dont go into 1st.

You won't stall in 2nd unless you're going like 5mph, at which point you should be pushing your clutch down anyway.
Original post by coldplasma
You won't stall in 2nd unless you're going like 5mph, at which point you should be pushing your clutch down anyway.

ah, but when i come to junctions, assuming i need to really slow down should i just brake (then go or clutch down) or clutch down straight away? also when i clutch down i need to go to 1st, so is what im doing right?
You should make sure you are slowing down gradually on the approach. Approaching a junction too fast can be a serious error in a test, but braking sharply on the approach also can, so you need to find a balance. Plan ahead and use your best judgement for ensuring the smoothest approach and that will keep the examiner happy.
Changing gears, starting on first gear, dual carriage ways. I love driving, but thats where I struggle most.
ah, but when i come to junctions, assuming i need to really slow down should i just brake (then go or clutch down) or clutch down straight away? also when i clutch down i need to go to 1st, so is what im doing right?

Brake until you slow down enough that you can feel the engine starting to 'grumble' a bit, THEN put the clutch down. Takes practice to get the feel of it, but it'll come.
Had my first lesson in the rain today and normally I rely on sound to work out whether I've got the biting point or not, but found it really difficult to hear what was going on in the rain. I was either revving the engine way too much without realising because I couldn't hear it or I was lifting off the clutch too much and stalling.

So if your hearing is restricted because of heavy rain or something, then how do you know you've got the biting point? I can never really feel my feet on the pedals so I won't realise that I'm revving or not pressing the gas if I can't hear anything in the rain.

This is making me want to slow down lessons a bit and go back to 1 a week instead of 2 a week, so that by the time I'm ready I can do my test in summer/autumn when hopefully it will be much more dry.
You can come to a halt in any gear. You'll only stall if your clutch isn't down at the point of stopping. Or say you're in fifth and have to break hard, If you don't change gear before pressing accelerator again.

I try to remember to put into first when stop just because I have habit of trying to set off again in whatever gear I was last in 🙄

Personally when I was learning the hardest thing was filtering the information I was seeing. I don't think everything's should be fully automatic either. You might know the road but different drivers and different concentration levels each day. A lot of people text whilst driving. A lot of people also don't know how to use the lane so on a roundabout or realise they're in wrong one at last minute. I don't talk on roundabouts so I can concentrate especially ones with 3+ lanes. Not the single lane ones 🙄
Original post by Petulia
Had my first lesson in the rain today and normally I rely on sound to work out whether I've got the biting point or not, but found it really difficult to hear what was going on in the rain. I was either revving the engine way too much without realising because I couldn't hear it or I was lifting off the clutch too much and stalling.

So if your hearing is restricted because of heavy rain or something, then how do you know you've got the biting point? I can never really feel my feet on the pedals so I won't realise that I'm revving or not pressing the gas if I can't hear anything in the rain.

This is making me want to slow down lessons a bit and go back to 1 a week instead of 2 a week, so that by the time I'm ready I can do my test in summer/autumn when hopefully it will be much more dry.

You can also tell you've got the biting point when you feel the car dip, or when the revs drop on the rev counter
Original post by cherryred90s
You can also tell you've got the biting point when you feel the car dip, or when the revs drop on the rev counter

Pretty much this. You can definitely feel the bite if you're concentrating (the vibrations of the car will feel more rigid and powerful), and the hood of the car will dip down. Just get in a car with the handbrake on and practice feeling it.
(edited 7 years ago)
any tips with nerves??? ive my test in just over a week! or even general tips??
*I will not take any calming pills etc etc
any tips with nerves??? ive my test in just over a week! or even general tips??
*I will not take any calming pills etc etc

Get enough sleep, and make sure you eat and drink something on the day of the test. Also, just try not to take any notice of the examiner and what they are marking down, as that may make you even more nervous, and just pretend it's your instructor sitting there instead of the examiner. Also, just think of it as a normal lesson where you need to pass :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have my test in less than a month, and i'm terrified they'll give me a manoeuvre i cant do. i'm absolutely awful at reversing around corners and i can't parallel park, but everything else is perfectly fine!!
Get enough sleep, and make sure you eat and drink something on the day of the test. Also, just try not to take any notice of the examiner and what they are marking down, as that may make you even more nervous, and just pretend it's your instructor sitting there instead of the examiner. Also, just think of it as a normal lesson where you need to pass :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, and yeah i can imagine that id get pretty stressed when id see examiner write something haha. :smile:
thanks, and yeah i can imagine that id get pretty stressed when id see examiner write something haha. :smile:

You're welcome :smile: aw bless. If it makes you feel any better you do have the option of letting your instructor sitting in the back of the car on the test if you think it'll help with your nerves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome :smile: aw bless. If it makes you feel any better you do have the option of letting your instructor sitting in the back of the car on the test if you think it'll help with your nerves :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think that would just stress me out more as extra pressure, also hes already 'joked/said' he doesnt want to:wink:
Original post by baznoy
i have my test in less than a month, and i'm terrified they'll give me a manoeuvre i cant do. i'm absolutely awful at reversing around corners and i can't parallel park, but everything else is perfectly fine!!

Why are you terrified of that? It sounds like you're underpracticed at those things and you should practice it incessantly until you get it every time.
i think that would just stress me out more as extra pressure, also hes already 'joked/said' he doesnt want to:wink:

Ah fair enough:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending