The Student Room Group

Quick question from a confused international student

To make this short I just want to know if I'm applying for a university and the deadline for September 2017 is the 1st of May 2017 can I take the GCSEs required by the school in May/June, as in, is there an option to apply first then send scores/certificates later? Or should I have taken the tests May/June this year?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I can't find this information anywhere.
Reply 1
Original post by hobocop
To make this short I just want to know if I'm applying for a university and the deadline for September 2017 is the 1st of May 2017 can I take the GCSEs required by the school in May/June, as in, is there an option to apply first then send scores/certificates later? Or should I have taken the tests May/June this year?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I can't find this information anywhere.

The deadline for equal consideration is 15th January, not 1st May.

You can apply by 15th Jan and say you have pending grades in your A-levels (or GCSEs*). An offer may then be given on condition you achieve the necessary grades by August.

*Why are you taking GCSEs at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
The deadline for equal consideration is 15th January, not 1st May.

You can apply by 15th Jan and say you have pending grades in your A-levels (or GCSEs*). An offer may then be given on condition you achieve the necessary grades by August.

*Why are you taking GCSEs at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My boyfriend lives in the Netherlands, that's where I wanna study but I couldn't find anywhere to ask questions and I figured some things there could be similar to how things work in the UK, most universities there accept 3 GCSEs and 3 A-Levels and the deadline for most is May 1st.
Reply 3
Original post by hobocop
My boyfriend lives in the Netherlands, that's where I wanna study but I couldn't find anywhere to ask questions and I figured some things there could be similar to how things work in the UK, most universities there accept 3 GCSEs and 3 A-Levels and the deadline for most is May 1st.

International students don't need GCSEs if you have local equivalents.

Deadlines and requirements are different in every country...

So hold on, you aren't applying to the UK at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
International students don't need GCSEs if you have local equivalents.

Deadlines and requirements are different in every country...

So hold on, you aren't applying to the UK at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I was going to before my thing with my current partner got serious, and I don't have any certificates the universities require, I have European citizenship because of my dad but none of the tests from my country are on the "Approved qualifications" list for foreign qualifications. So I have to chose something from the list so I chose the GCSEs and A Levels because I speak english. I also wondered this about universities from the UK but never got around to asking.
Original post by hobocop
No, I was going to before my thing with my current partner got serious, and I don't have any certificates the universities require, I have European citizenship because of my dad but none of the tests from my country are on the "Approved qualifications" list for foreign qualifications. So I have to chose something from the list so I chose the GCSEs and A Levels because I speak english. I also wondered this about universities from the UK but never got around to asking.

They aren't on the approved qualifications list? Where do you live?
Reply 6
Original post by hobocop

What course and universities are you considering?
Reply 7
Original post by Barbastelle
They aren't on the approved qualifications list? Where do you live?

Brazil, we have a test here called ENEM, but I don't know if just that is enough, and regardless that test is too hard and the whole test taking process is too stressful, I'd rather take another one if I have the option.
Original post by hobocop
Brazil, we have a test here called ENEM, but I don't know if just that is enough, and regardless that test is too hard and the whole test taking process is too stressful, I'd rather take another one if I have the option.

Is there a particular university or college in the Netherlands that you have an interest in applying to? If you contact them they should be able to advise you on what qualifications they will accept from Brazil and which options are open to you. Personally I don't know about Dutch entrance requirements and I don't know anyone on this site from the Netherlands (although there probably are some) so this is the best thing I can suggest :h:
Reply 9
call the actual Dutch university
they will most likely speak English anyway and they will give you an accurate answer
Reply 10
Original post by hobocop

Every university is different.

Here is what Surrey says: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/south-america/brazil
and Bristol: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/brazil.html
and UEA: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/international/country/brazil#requirements

All refer to their foundation programmes as a potential route

Have you started A-levels? You do realise A-levels are usually a 2 year course.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
Every university is different.

Here is what Surrey says: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/south-america/brazil
and Bristol: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/brazil.html
and UEA: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/international/country/brazil#requirements

All refer to their foundation programmes as a potential route

Have you started A-levels? You do realise A-levels are usually a 2 year course.

Yes, I've been studying for the A Levels for over a year now. And thanks for the links.
Reply 12
Original post by hobocop
Yes, I've been studying for the A Levels for over a year now. And thanks for the links.

Ok.

So which course / universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by jneill
Ok.

So which course / universities are you considering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linguistics, I've been looking into every school that is known for offering a decent linguistics course
Reply 14
Original post by hobocop
Linguistics, I've been looking into every school that is known for offering a decent linguistics course

Have you contacted any about their requirements and your academic profile?
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
Have you contacted any about their requirements and your academic profile?

I've sent a few emails now I'm just waiting for a response.
Reply 16
Original post by hobocop
I've sent a few emails now I'm just waiting for a response.

Maybe try calling, and then follow up with an email summarising the conversation. Emails are easy to ignore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Maybe try calling, and then follow up with an email summarising the conversation. Emails are easy to ignore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll do that.
Do let us know if you're considering UEA and need us to follow up any emails.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending