The Student Room Group

Query about assessment centre dates/coming back from study abroad

Greetings,

I'm currently on my third year of my law degree at the University of Nottingham and am studying abroad at the university of Queensland, and had a query about assessment centre dates. Basically I'm coming back to the UK for a few weeks of my holiday up until mid to late Jan 2017 and was wondering whether it would be worth making vac scheme applications for next summer? I figured if assessment centres are in January i might be able to fit one in before I go back to Aus if I apply but wasn't sure when the majority of firms conduct their ACs?

Also if not does anyone have any advice on how easy it is for a law undergraduate to get final year vac schemes. I've already completed one at a smaller regional firm but was looking to gain experience at a bigger city firm to see how it compares.

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Plum432
Greetings,

I'm currently on my third year of my law degree at the University of Nottingham and am studying abroad at the university of Queensland, and had a query about assessment centre dates. Basically I'm coming back to the UK for a few weeks of my holiday up until mid to late Jan 2017 and was wondering whether it would be worth making vac scheme applications for next summer? I figured if assessment centres are in January i might be able to fit one in before I go back to Aus if I apply but wasn't sure when the majority of firms conduct their ACs?

Also if not does anyone have any advice on how easy it is for a law undergraduate to get final year vac schemes. I've already completed one at a smaller regional firm but was looking to gain experience at a bigger city firm to see how it compares.

Cheers

I think if the firm did rolling apps it might work out, particularly if you explain the situation. I also heard from some vacation scheme students from my University that some firms were able to modify their recruitment process for those on a year abroad by offering a skype interview rather than an AC/in person interview - though this was not the case with most firms.

I don't see any harm in trying, and if you are unsuccessful you always have next year. No harm in it!
Reply 2
Original post by Ambry
I think if the firm did rolling apps it might work out, particularly if you explain the situation. I also heard from some vacation scheme students from my University that some firms were able to modify their recruitment process for those on a year abroad by offering a skype interview rather than an AC/in person interview - though this was not the case with most firms.

I don't see any harm in trying, and if you are unsuccessful you always have next year. No harm in it!

Thanks both of u thought that might be the case, may as well just apply and explain the situation if a possible interview does come up
Original post by J-SP
No don't do this! Contact the firms you want to apply to first and ask them to explain their rough dates for recruitment process or whether they can do it via Skype.

It could save you so much time in not completing wasted applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in a similar position actually. Currently at McGill and will be spending the second semester of study abroad in Milan. Although I wasn't sure whether to ask recruitment this in case they found it off-putting?

Although worst comes to worst I fly back to England as at least Milan -> UK is more doable than Montreal -> UK.
Original post by J-SP
Why would they find it off putting? You'd have to declare it in your academics anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess my situation is a bit different as my study abroad is more so just a year abroad (as the grades I will get from McGill and Bocconi will not count towards my final degree). This is also my third year of uni (non-law) and so I still have the opportunity to apply the following year - just worried they would be more likely to dismiss my application on these grounds, since its not necessarily crucial I undertake a vac scheme this year if that makes sense. Maybe just paranoia...
Original post by J-SP
As long as you are eligible for the programme (e.g. they accept penultimate year non-lawyers on to the vac scheme) it wont be an issue at all.

Would you require a work permit? If so, that be more of a stumbling block.

Ok will that's calmed some of my fears at least. And no as I'm actually a UK student, just currently killing time abroad as part of my degree :tongue:
Original post by J-SP
You will be fine then. Just check the eligibility - as a non-law student some firms won't take you until your final year, but that wouldn't matter where you were studying. Others will take you on a summer scheme this year though.

Yeah my current strategy is to really labour over the ones for my three or so favourite firms that allow applications this year and if there's time do some others but I won't stress over those. And then based on my success/failures this year I'll know which I should target the following year.
Though I doubt there's such thing as over-preparation given how competitive the market is :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending