The Student Room Group

Predicted grades and computer science

I was wondering if it still were possible to pursue a computer science offer from a good university with predictions such as BCD in computer science, maths and physics; possibly BCC. I will be retaking all of the AS modules for maths and am actually working hard this year.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by BMsij
I was wondering if it still were possible to pursue a computer science offer from a good university with predictions such as BCD in computer science, maths and physics; possibly BCC. I will be retaking all of the AS modules for maths and am actually working hard this year.

Thanks!

lol, not really
Reply 2
Original post by bigwang
lol, not really

Not surprised to be honest.
Original post by BMsij
Not surprised to be honest.

get better predicted grades? What did you get at AS? Did you speak to your teachers also check out my thread about university. You can also do better and get in through adjustment or clearling
Reply 4
Original post by Epistemolog y
get better predicted grades? What did you get at AS? Did you speak to your teachers also check out my thread about university. You can also do better and get in through adjustment or clearling

Completely flopped my AS. They're the results that you wouldn't really expect someone with GCSEs like 9As and 2Bs to get. Like I barely scrapped a pass on maths and computer science :/ DEED (physics, computer science, maths, economics) is what I got for AS. Guess I'll just place my bets on an excellent A2 and clearance then..
If you can get it up to BBC then you could apply for the science intergrated foundation year at uni of manchester, if you're doing all science related subjects(Abb if not). If you pass you can go onto doing computer science. Extra year but just a thought! Link below incase you cant find info on it :-)

http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/
Reply 6
if you think you can get better grades , then possibly consider a gap year.
Reply 7
Original post by VikkiHanley
If you can get it up to BBC then you could apply for the science intergrated foundation year at uni of manchester, if you're doing all science related subjects(Abb if not). If you pass you can go onto doing computer science. Extra year but just a thought! Link below incase you cant find info on it :-)

http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/

I might be able to get that extra B, although very unlikely its not impossible I guess so not all hope is lost yet. Thanks for the first real and solid advice!
Original post by BMsij
Completely flopped my AS. They're the results that you wouldn't really expect someone with GCSEs like 9As and 2Bs to get. Like I barely scrapped a pass on maths and computer science :/ DEED (physics, computer science, maths, economics) is what I got for AS. Guess I'll just place my bets on an excellent A2 and clearance then..

It's hard man and I am sure you can still do well in life. Also I bet it was a lack of exam practise. After you get the E it's like 6 marks to the next grade. Applying to university with those grades to the ones you are capable of going to wouldn't mkae sense. I suggest you retake the year buddy because year 13 is hard and stress of UCAS etc. Check out my thread I made about universities. In your case I would highly recommend year 12 again with 3 subjects you really like. Good luck!
Reply 9
It's hard man and I am sure you can still do well in life. Also I bet it was a lack of exam practise. After you get the E it's like 6 marks to the next grade. Applying to university with those grades to the ones you are capable of going to wouldn't mkae sense. I suggest you retake the year buddy because year 13 is hard and stress of UCAS etc. Check out my thread I made about universities. In your case I would highly recommend year 12 again with 3 subjects you really like. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice man but I'll stick to working my absolute ass off this year to get a good clearance. Cannot imagine an extra year of school. And yes you're right; my exam practice was a large part to why I flopped so hard - barely made use of any practice papers and exam techniques. But this year will be different I hope. I like to wish you success as well.
Reply 10
Original post by dididid
if you think you can get better grades , then possibly consider a gap year.

Is clearance really not an option?
Original post by BMsij

I think you are capable of better. You wouldn't be doing yourself justice.
Original post by BMsij

it is, email any of the unis you may want to study at next year and ask if they had any clearance/adjustment vacancies for the previous year to give you a vague idea of which unis may offer clearance ( note if the uni offered your course in clearing/adjustment last year it doesn't mean they will definitely offer it again this year) also your choices will be restricted if your relying entirely on clearing/adjustment and maybe risky in that your preferred uni may end up not offering clearance.
Original post by BMsij
I might be able to get that extra B, although very unlikely its not impossible I guess so not all hope is lost yet. Thanks for the first real and solid advice!

You're very welcome. But all if definitely not lost, speak to your teachers and put a plan in to get your grades up so your predicted grades can go up abit. Hope is not lost! You might be able to find some foundation courses even lower at other russel group unis. Try liverpool ive always found that to be the lowest in regards of admissions.

Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by dididid
it is, email any of the unis you may want to study at next year and ask if they had any clearance/adjustment vacancies for the previous year to give you a vague idea of which unis may offer clearance ( note if the uni offered your course in clearing/adjustment last year it doesn't mean they will definitely offer it again this year) also your choices will be restricted if your relying entirely on clearing/adjustment and maybe risky in that your preferred uni may end up not offering clearance.

Oh right fair point. But I think I would rather take a gap year then if the situation is so. Thanks!
Reply 15
I think you are capable of better. You wouldn't be doing yourself justice.

Sometimes capable and deserving don't quite match well haha I guess I have this year to prove that not only am I capable but also deserving :smile:)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Have a look at queen marys SEFP for computer science(minimum of 2 passes at A level AKA EE ). Or even other foundation years, they normally have lower entry requirements. I guess its better to spend the extra year and get into a good uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending