The Student Room Group

URGENT:Dropping out of Nursing after 1st Year!!

Hey Guys

I really need some advice!!

I am in situation where I no longer would like to study Adult Nursing as its just not for me, I have tried to hard to push myself through these months to complete this year, which I will as I do not want to be considered as a drop out.

I have now missed the UCAS deadline so I will be considered as a late applicant for a different course that I had in mind prior to choosing Adult Nursing. Will Universities still accept me for a totally different course?

Above all due to this decision I am now even more confused as to who I should inform about my finance as I do get NHS bursary and student finance (Maintenance loan). Who do I inform after I have completed the first year? Will student finance give me enough fund for the degree I want to pursue which is for four years. Do I need to pay back any of the funds- I am aware that I will need to pay off the student finance maintenance loan which is £3000 I believe.

Also when do I actually inform the University that I would like to withdraw my application with them?

Hope someone is able to help!!!

Thank you!

Regards

Bhavika437
Original post by Bhavika437
Hey Guys

I really need some advice!!

I am in situation where I no longer would like to study Adult Nursing as its just not for me, I have tried to hard to push myself through these months to complete this year, which I will as I do not want to be considered as a drop out.

I have now missed the UCAS deadline so I will be considered as a late applicant for a different course that I had in mind prior to choosing Adult Nursing. Will Universities still accept me for a totally different course?

Above all due to this decision I am now even more confused as to who I should inform about my finance as I do get NHS bursary and student finance (Maintenance loan). Who do I inform after I have completed the first year? Will student finance give me enough fund for the degree I want to pursue which is for four years. Do I need to pay back any of the funds- I am aware that I will need to pay off the student finance maintenance loan which is £3000 I believe.

Also when do I actually inform the University that I would like to withdraw my application with them?

Hope someone is able to help!!!

Thank you!

Regards

Bhavika437

Firstly - contact the university offering the new course to see if they'll accept a late application. Explain your current situation and ask whether they would expect/prefer you to complete the year and whether they need a reference from your current university or from your old school/sixth form.

Then - based on what they say - if they're positive then get your application together ASAP including your reference.

Student funding covers the length of your new course plus 1 gift year - your first year on nursing will count as that gift year (so as long as you don't drop out again or need to resit a year then you'll be funded for your new course whether it's 3 years, 4 years or longer).

Withdrawing from your course mid year might mean you'll be asked to repay any overpayment of loans/bursaries. You might be better off completing the year if that's something you're able to do. You may also find you're eligible for accommodation if you leave early. Speak to your university student services team to find out about this and the specific financial implications.

You'll only be committed to withdrawing from your course if you fill out the forms for your current university to withdraw. Applying elsewhere (even asking your tutor for a reference) does not commit you to leaving.
Reply 2
Thank you so much!!

I have spoken to the University that I am going to apply too and they have considered me. I am just awaiting for my reference which will hopefully be given by this week, and hopefully I get accepted.

Do I need to inform NHS bursary and student finance as soon as I finish first year or should I inform them now? The thing is I am using the NHS bursary and student finance maintenance loan to pay for my accommodation fees. I am based in London so it is pretty expensive living here.

I will continue to study Adult Nursing for this year as there would be so much hassle in term of finance especially with my accommodation.

Once again thank you so much for replying!
Original post by Bhavika437
Thank you so much!!

I have spoken to the University that I am going to apply too and they have considered me. I am just awaiting for my reference which will hopefully be given by this week, and hopefully I get accepted.

Do I need to inform NHS bursary and student finance as soon as I finish first year or should I inform them now? The thing is I am using the NHS bursary and student finance maintenance loan to pay for my accommodation fees. I am based in London so it is pretty expensive living here.

I will continue to study Adult Nursing for this year as there would be so much hassle in term of finance especially with my accommodation.

Once again thank you so much for replying!

Speak to your university student services team about when and how to leave and the financial costs/benefits of leaving before the end of the year. They'll be able to look at the specific amounts of bursary/loan you might have to repay at different dates and whether there's a charge for leaving accommodation early.
Reply 4
ok Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest