The Student Room Group

Can friends with benefits work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by retro_turtles
Doubt it, one of you is bound to fall for the other over time.

Indeed. its a natural consequence of the release of Oxytocen during sex.

My own experience is that women always get overly attached. No bad thing and understandable given how much i love myself. :colone:
Original post by hezzlington
I think by 'work', it means you don't fall out after it ends.

That could happen anyway, you might get bored of one another for instance. It's not a binary choice between friends forever and some extra sex on the side with a 25% chance of thermonuclear war.
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed. its a natural consequence of the release of Oxytocen during sex.

My own experience is that women always get overly attached. No bad thing and understandable given how much i love myself. :colone:

:lol:
We weren't, she was worried about stds :rolleyes:

Which is a legitimate concern ofcourse! I wouldn't have a 'friends with benefits' (that label is kinda cringey) if I was also sleeping with other people. I'd be an exclusive but technically not exclusive friend with benefits.

I'm naturally quite monogamous.

I rather invest everything I have into one person at a time.

Spoiler

I see. It's still a bit confusing though. I couldn't exactly ask someone to not see other people if we were just friends with benefits.
so you mean you make a new friend and you get benefit money? I can't say I approve but then I would like if I made a new friend and got benefit money too, though I don't see the link unless your friend works at the benefit office in which case sounds corrupt but maybe you became friends after they sorted out your benefit money who knows. Also if they are of the opposite sex this can be good because it might potentially lead to a no strings attached casual sexual relationship.
No then you may/may not get tax credits
Reply 26
so what was it then?

I never told her I wasn't sleeping with other people. We at no point had the discussion "what are we" etc. We're just friends. And we sleep together. I don't really see how that's anything other than 'friends with benefits'.

A casual relationship which involves two people who like each other so much that they only have sex with each other? Lmao. Idk all this ''no strings attached'' is bs anyways. There are always strings, but more transparent.

I think this arrangement usually fails because most people can't be emotionally intimate without seeking more. And the level of intimacy in this kind of relationship is amazing because it doesn't come with some of the ''burdens'' of an actual relationship.

I also think romantic friendships can offer for some people a type of intimacy that committed relationships can't cause they might not feel as limited? :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
Me and a close friend of mine were on a night out recently and ending up getting together, the same thing happened a few nights later so we've kinda decided on a friends with benefits situation as neither of us want a relationship, Can this actually work without ruining our friendship??

Depends on the other person. Are they gonna go round sleeping with you and other people? Friends with benefits usually entails this. If they sleep with just YOU for a while, will you then get jealous if try it on with other people?? Usually, that's the case even if no feelings are developed... I genuinely would not recommend it. They probably will lose respect for you as a person too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rarely.
Not in the long term, no.
Don't really know to be honest, the only example of it I've seen is one a friend of mine had but the girl got a bit attached.

It's not something I'd be able to pull off but other people treat this sort of stuff a lot more casually than I do.
Original post by Anonymous
Me and a close friend of mine were on a night out recently and ending up getting together, the same thing happened a few nights later so we've kinda decided on a friends with benefits situation as neither of us want a relationship, Can this actually work without ruining our friendship??

no it will not work.
it will change EVERYTHING,
As long as it's not more than 16 hours or you'll lose your jobseekers allowance.
Doesn't usually work in the long run because someone always gets feelings at some point
Original post by Rock Fan
Doesn't usually work in the long run because someone always gets feelings at some point

So?

You both can go into the FWB agreement having feelings for eachother, but acknowledging the timing isn't right for any progression of the relationship.
So?

You both can go into the FWB agreement having feelings for eachother, but acknowledging the timing isn't right for any progression of the relationship.

Not saying that can't happen the problem is when someone develops feelings they tend to want a bit more and end up with their heart broken which in turn is where things get messy.
Depends on the two of you as people. If you're both relaxed about sex and the FWB runs its course before either of you develop any feelings then yeah in theory it could be fine. The problem is that if you already like each other as people and you start having sex you're really not a long way off a relationship so it's very easy for one person to cross that line and if the other doesn't feel the same then there are problems.
Yes it can, but you need rules.

1: The first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club- whatever happened between us would stay just between us. I wouldn't mention it to my friends neither should he.
2, Respect- only do what you're comfortable with.
3. Honesty- don't hide any doubts or feelings you may have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
YO, ANYBOdY WATCH LUCIFEr lmao spoiler they can't work together properly, just make sure to set rules
Hey why not. If you're both in a place in your lives where your friendship is important to you and you both don't fancy the idea of going out and having one night stands - then go for it. I think it could also be fun for you guys, and as long as you know the boundaries etc, etc, s'all good.

Only issue is that you could potentially find that your boyf/girlf who you end up with, might feel uncomfortable about your friendship haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending