The Student Room Group

2017 applicants from germany

Hey there!
I am from germany and I am trying to study in the UK. :smile:

I personally think it is really hard to compare the abitur with a-levels and therefore it is really hard to guess if you have a chance or not.

Experience from current german students or applicants would be great! Sometimes you can feel pretty overwhelmed by the difficulties of a foreign education system. :colondollar:

As to me, I have applied for chemistry/ chemistry with medicinal chemistry to KCL,UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasglow.:bl:

How about you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simone0110
Hey there!

I personally think it is really hard to compare the abitur with a-levels and therefore it is really hard to guess if you have a chance or not.

Experience from current german students or applicants would be great! Sometimes you can feel pretty overwhelmed by the difficulties of a foreign education system. :colondollar:

As to me, I have applied for chemistry/ chemistry with medicinal chemistry to KCL,UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasglow.:bl:

How about you?

You should apply for Oxford if you're interested in Chemistry. Also when are you applying this year? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LisaNikita
You should apply for Oxford if you're interested in Chemistry. Also when are you applying this year? :smile:

I already applied, as I am planning to start university this year!

I hope I didn't choose a misleading title:s-smilie:
Hey there!

How about you?

Come to the St Andrews thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
Come to the St Andrews thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am already in the St Andrews thread, but thanks for your suggestion! :smile:

I just have the feeling that there are no active german applicants in this threat. :s-smilie:

It is very hard to see the people who got in with their a-level grades because you have no idea how good these grades are, if you would transfer them into the german abitur system.

So comparing your grades with them in order for you to see if you have a chance is quite difficult :smile:
Reply 5
Hey there!

How about you?

All you can do is compare yourself with their abitur requirements. And you may find they are higher for the Scottish universities due to the fee arrangements.

Eg UCL
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/chemistry-msci/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
All you can do is compare yourself with their abitur requirements. And you may find they are higher for the Scottish universities due to the fee arrangements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes, they definitely are:sadnod:
Thanks a lot for the link!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Oh yes, they definitely are:sadnod:
Thanks a lot for the link! Unfortunately, not every university has foreign entry requirements this specific as UCL does.

They all seem to publish requirements for German applicants...

Glasgow: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_245404_en.pdf
"Award of Abitur with overall average grade of 1.5 with grade 13 in 4 Abiturprufung subjects."

Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/european-union-undergraduate-entry-requirements/g-l/germany
"Abitur at 1.3 overall with 13 in 2 Leistungskurse subjects, including required subjects."

St Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/entrance-requirements/germany/
"Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochshulreife (Abitur) Offer range: 1.2 to 1.1 overall, with 14 or above in at least two subjects, including relevant subjects."

KCL: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/international.aspx
Assuming AAB : Award of the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur) with 1.5 overall and two LK (Leistungkurse) subjects at grades 13, 13
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
They all seem to publish requirements for German applicants...

Glasgow: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_245404_en.pdf
"Award of Abitur with overall average grade of 1.5 with grade 13 in 4 Abiturprufung subjects."

Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/european-union-undergraduate-entry-requirements/g-l/germany
"Abitur at 1.3 overall with 13 in 2 Leistungskurse subjects, including required subjects."

St Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/entrance-requirements/germany/
"Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochshulreife (Abitur) Offer range: 1.2 to 1.1 overall, with 14 or above in at least two subjects, including relevant subjects."

KCL: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/international.aspx
Assuming AAB : Award of the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur) with 1.5 overall and two LK (Leistungkurse) subjects at grades 13, 13

I have already seen those, but thanks!
I thought that these were just the "general" grades you have to have, but don't they differ depending on the subject you're applying for?

For example for chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/route/USHFCMCSCMC/year/2017-8) you need AAB (which is roughly 1.5 in abitur) or 35 IB points (that would be a 2.2 in abitur). So that is quite confusing. These would be lower entry requirements than the 1.2 that they say you have to have as a german applicant on the link you send me :confused::confused::confused:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
For example for chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/route/USHFCMCSCMC/year/2017-8) you need AAB (which is roughly 1.5 in abitur) or 35 IB points (that would be a 2.2 in abitur). So that is quite confusing. These would be lower entry requirements than the 1.2 that they say you have to have as a german applicant on the link you send me :confused::confused::confused:

As I said, Scottish requirements for EU applicants are often higher due to the funding "issue".
Reply 10
Original post by Nathanaelion
Hey, I am also a German applying to Edinburgh.

I already applied last year for the course, then with predicted grades of 1.5.
My course has a typical offer of
AAA / IB 37. I got the rejection message in March, was never really given a reason.

But this time I am applying with achieved grades of 1.4 and a imo better personal statement, so I hope my chances are better now! :smile:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
What are your predicted/achieved grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

March is pretty late... I can't imagine to wait another 2 months...
Oh I'm sorry for last year. Very fierce of you to try again this year! I am sure you'll make it :smile:

My predictet grade is 1.2 or 1.3 (I am not quite sure which one, my teachter changed it in the last moment I think)

For what have you applied ?:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Cognitive Science in the Science and Engineering School.
The course is not really common, that's part of the reason why I am applying again to the same uni.
In Scotland it is the only uni offering it afaik and in Germany there are also only two, Tübingen and Osnabrück.

If I dont get in, I will probably go to one of the two.

What about you? Do you have a plan B?

Yes the wait is really annoying, but I fear it will be the same this year
- EU students only get the leftovers because of fee status :/

However, if you get an offer before march, let me know please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll definitley let you know! But you have to text me as well! :smile:
I heard that it is 1/3 EU, 1/3 Scottish and 1/3 international, I hope that is true but could also just be rumours.

I am going to take the TMS test (Test für medizinische Studiengänge), because my second choice is to study medicin in germany and you probably know that you have to have a 1.0 / 1.1 in order to get an offer.
But I think that I am also going to apply to some german unis for chemistry, although that would not be my first choice. One of the reasons why I choose to study abroad is that scottish unis offer a mix between chemistry and medicin- basically all I want :smile:

I am also taking psychology with neurosciences under consideration but the grades for this are also really high (about 1.3)
I'll definitley let you know! But you have to text me as well! :smile:
I heard that it is 1/3 EU, 1/3 Scottish and 1/3 international, I hope that is true but could also just be rumours.

I am going to take the TMS test (Test für medizinische Studiengänge), because my second choice is to study medicin in germany and you probably know that you have to have a 1.0 / 1.1 in order to get an offer.
But I think that I am also going to apply to some german unis for chemistry, although that would not be my first choice. One of the reasons why I choose to study abroad is that scottish unis offer a mix between chemistry and medicin- basically all I want :smile:

I am also taking psychology with neurosciences under consideration but the grades for this are also really high (about 1.3)

Hey :biggrin:
The one third thing isn't the case (I'd say) since decisions are based on performance and not on nationality :smile:

But you've good grade and therefore chances are quite high for you to get into uni^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!:smile:
I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...
Original post by BlackSwan98
Hi everyone!:smile:
I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...

Hey there :smile:

Yeah, it's quite a problem. But you are eligible for a student loan from the British government since you're German.^^

The link below should lead you to some scholarships you can apply to. :smile:

http://www.e-fellows.net/Studium/Stipendien/Stipendien-Datenbank/Stipendium-suchen-finden/(page)/1?fundregion%5B0%5D=gro%C3%9Fbritannien+%2F+irland&studysubjectgroup=&studysubjectarea%5B0%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B1%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B2%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B3%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B4%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B5%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B6%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B7%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B8%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B9%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B10%5D=&studysubjectarea%5B11%5D=&phrasesearch=

Hope this might help you and congrats to your offer 🎉🎉👍🏼👊🏼🙏🏼👏🏼😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Cognitive Science in the Science and Engineering School.
The course is not really common, that's part of the reason why I am applying again to the same uni.
In Scotland it is the only uni offering it afaik and in Germany there are also only two, Tübingen and Osnabrück.

If I dont get in, I will probably go to one of the two.

What about you? Do you have a plan B?

Yes the wait is really annoying, but I fear it will be the same this year
- EU students only get the leftovers because of fee status :/

However, if you get an offer before march, let me know please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I promised to let you know so here it is: Got declined today.

Best of luck for you though :smile:
Hey, I promised to let you know so here it is: Got declined today.

Best of luck for you though :smile:

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry 😰
But I'm sure you will achieve what you want to achieve even if you don't go to a British uni. :smile: 🙏🏼👌🏼👊🏼

I wish you all the best and an incredible time in Osnabrück or Tübingen!! 😉👊🏼🙏🏼👍🏼😃👏🏼👌🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tübingen/Osnabrück is my Plan B, and I have not yet been rejected. She was just quoting it :smile:

But I am sure OP gets what you mean.

Luckily, there are plenty of other study options for someone bound to achieve 1.2 in the Abitur :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh.. now I'm terribly sorry... 🙈😂😂😜 I thought she might be quoting it to idk let us know who she is again.. 😂

Which at the moment sounded like the right things.. because she said that she got rejected and since you applied to just one uni I thought it's one person...

So sorry again 🙈

So anyway I hope you get accepted then^^ 👍🏼 and 1.2 is great 👏🏼🙏🏼😃
Reply 19
Turns out you were not the only one. Got rejected just now, too. Wonder if they take in any German students this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god no I am so sorry to thear that. Also because of the grades? It is so hard do deal with the rejection, to be quite honest I am just waiting for the rejection from St. Andrews and when that happens...I don't know. I just was not expecting to be so sad about it.
Try to cuddle someone that you love, that helped for me personally. All my best whises go out to you!:frown:

Ich bin mittlerweile einfach so deprimiert von dem Zulassungssystem in Großbritannien, vorallem in Schottland. Alle Unis werben nach außen hin damit, dass sie ausländische Studenten herzlich Willkommen heißen aber allein wegen dem Geld wird man anscheinend nicht genommen, zumindest kommt es mir so vor. Schottische Schüler mit schon merklich schlechteren Noten (wenn man der Umrechnungstabelle im Internet glauben schenken will...) kommen in den Studiengang und man selbst mit vergleichbaren/ z.T. sogar besseren Noten wird abgelehnt...Natürlich ist der Konkurrenzdruck immens hoch aber dann die Nationalität entscheiden zu lassen fände ich nicht fair. Keine Ahnung ob das wirklich so stimmt aber zumindest wirkt es stark so auf mich, dass man als EU Bürger schnell den kürzeren ziehen kann.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending