The Student Room Group

Do we reserve the right to be told why an application was denied?

Just got me thinking. One of my options withdrew my application after a few weeks, and didn't specify as to why. I sent an email to the admissions asking for a reason, so I know how to improve for next time in the near future, but I haven't got a reply yet.

Do we have a right to know why we were refused?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel 96
Just got me thinking. One of my options withdrew my application after a few weeks, and didn't specify as to why. I sent an email to the admissions asking for a reason, so I know how to improve for next time in the near future, but I haven't got a reply yet.

Do we have a right to know why we were refused?

On what basis would you have a right? Do you have an obligation to explain why you refuse to do anything?
Well you don't have a 'right' to be admitted, so I cannot logically see why you would have a 'right' to know why you were rejected. However, I imagine the majority of institutions would be happy to sketch out the main reasons for rejection upon request, as they don't have anything to hide about the application's process.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
On what basis would you have a right? Do you have an obligation to explain why you refuse to do anything?

These institutions are maintained by taxpayer's money, right? If it was a private institution, then fine, they can do what they want, but it's not.
Reply 4
Most universities will provide feedback. during the admissions process they have to be impartial and consider each application in context and fairly so they often take notes and document the process for internal evidence and to preserve the integrity of the process. You'll probably never see those documents because they have other people's details but admissions team can write up personalised feedback based on it at your request… thats only if they're willing
Original post by Joel 96
These institutions are maintained by taxpayer's money, right? If it was a private institution, then fine, they can do what they want, but it's not.

Only partly funded by public money. And they still have the right to make their own admissions decisions.
it did not even get to a reject. they were probably over run with applications. its like some jobs they accept a set number of applications then cut off any more. yours would not have been filtered. the only other reason is you failed to meet their basic requirements in which case you did not enter their application process.
Reply 7
Only partly funded by public money. And they still have the right to make their own admissions decisions.

I just want to clarify, I'm not asking whether a current right exists, because I know it doesn't, but it is possible for the government to implement that right. Since it's possible, would you support it?

And we as the tax payers have the right to a transparent admissions system. What point are you even trying to make ?
You dont have a right in law.

You can ask politely for feedback and if they have the time they will give you an indication of where the weaknesses were on your application.

They can be quite busy, but be patient or give them a call.

Btw its not you who would be reserving the right. Reserving is for someone who has the right in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
I just want to clarify, I'm not asking whether a current right exists, because I know it doesn't, but it is possible for the government to implement that right. Since it's possible, would you support it?

UCAS Track will list a rejection reason.
Reply 11
Original post by Bean sprout
What point are you even trying to make ?

That the public have a say in how public-funded services are run.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
UCAS Track will list a rejection reason.

They didn't.

"If you would like feedback about this decision, you should contact _____ University directly. Please note that in order to comply with data protection legislation, they may not be able to discuss this with anyone else other than you."
Original post by Joel 96
That the public have a say in how public-funded services are run.

My comment wasn't directed at you.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger

Btw its not you who would be reserving the right. Reserving is for someone who has the right in the first place.

Fair correction.
Reply 15
Original post by Bean sprout
My comment wasn't directed at you.

Just realised, my mistake.
Original post by Joel 96
They didn't.

"If you would like feedback about this decision, you should contact _____ University directly. Please note that in order to comply with data protection legislation, they may not be able to discuss this with anyone else other than you."

Then look for the university admissions policy for who to contact about feedback.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
Then look for the university admissions policy for who to contact about feedback.

Already have.
At the moment, it looks like they won't be responding. This is the reason I started this discussion in the first place. How am I supposed to improve my application if I don't know what's wrong with it?
Reply 18
Original post by Joel 96
Already have.
At the moment, it looks like they won't be responding. This is the reason I started this discussion in the first place. How am I supposed to improve my application if I don't know what's wrong with it?

Which Uni is it out of interest?
They're probably receiving hundreds of emails regarding offers, requirements and other inquiries. Responding to people they haven't made offers to is probably lower priority right now, perhaps calling them would give you a better chance of getting a reason.
Reply 19
Original post by CasperW
Which Uni is it out of interest?
They're probably receiving hundreds of emails regarding offers, requirements and other inquiries. Responding to people they haven't made offers to is probably lower priority right now, perhaps calling them would give you a better chance of getting a reason.

Since you asked, it's Falmouth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending