The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
Got a question about NHS courses? Ask Rob.

Rob is a student advisor at the University of Brighton. He works mainly to support Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Profession students with their funding and other financial issues.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Friday 10 February.

Hi Rob

I am a Northern Irish student, who has already done a three year degree in Belfast. I am very eager to go on to study Occupational Therapy. Would I be eligible for student funding in England or Scotland?
Reply 2
Iam with Refugee Status in the UK and would like to study Mental Health Nursing. Am I eligible for NHS Funding?
Reply 3
Hi Rob,

I'm hopefully going to be studying an undergrad in Speech and Language therapy. As all the funding and bursaries have now been cut, is there any other support available specifically for people on NHS courses?
Reply 4
Hi guys, I've graduated uni 3 years ago after doing a BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies degree, however i don't think i have achieved the classification (2:2) needed to go on to do a masters in social work. I have realised social work is what i want to do and have spent a lot of time looking to see how i will be able to afford tuition fees as i have already had my full student finance loan. I have also came across NHS social work bursaries, does anyone know if i will be eligible to receive this to cover part of the tuition fees if i apply to a university to study a BA (Hons) social work as a second degree to start in 2018/2019?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Jfay90
Hi Rob,

I'm hopefully going to be studying an undergrad in Speech and Language therapy. As all the funding and bursaries have now been cut, is there any other support available specifically for people on NHS courses?

Hi, thanks for your question.
You will no longer be able to get an NHS Bursary for this course, however, it is now funded through Student Loans. You will be able to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your fees and a Maintenance Loan to help towards your living costs. And depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply for additional allowances too, for example if you have children or maybe a disability or learning difficulty.
If you find that you are having to travel further to a placement than your normal travel to university, or maybe require additional accommodation to attend a placement, you will still be able to reclaim these additional costs.

Your main application will be to Student Finance England, but you may also need to make an additional application to NHS Bursaries to reclaim placement costs, or if you have children and wish to apply for the £1000 Child Dependents Allowance. The exact details of this application are undecided yet, so you will have to check these details nearer the time.
Original post by Jfay90
Hi Rob,

Original post by BNL
Iam with Refugee Status in the UK and would like to study Mental Health Nursing. Am I eligible for NHS Funding?

If you are studying a Nursing Degree, funding will be provided through Student Loans and your Refugee Status would make you eligible to apply. It might be a good idea to contact the Student Finance Helpline 0300 100 06 07 before applying, to confirm that you have the right evidence in place.
Original post by Johare94
Hi Rob

I am a Northern Irish student, who has already done a three year degree in Belfast. I am very eager to go on to study Occupational Therapy. Would I be eligible for student funding in England or Scotland?

I am not an expert on cross nation funding, but my understanding is that you would be applying for funding from Student Finance Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, I believe they would not fund you to do a second degree, even though it is a Health Profession. I would recommend that
you confirm this directly with their helpline - 0300 100 0077.
Original post by Shan_lin
Hi guys, I've graduated uni 3 years ago after doing a BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies degree, however i don't think i have achieved the classification (2:2) needed to go on to do a masters in social work. I have realised social work is what i want to do and have spent a lot of time looking to see how i will be able to afford tuition fees as i have already had my full student finance loan. I have also came across NHS social work bursaries, does anyone know if i will be eligible to receive this to cover part of the tuition fees if i apply to a university to study a BA (Hons) social work as a second degree to start in 2018/2019?

Thanks in advance.

I can only offer advice based on the current regulations; there are lots of changes occurring at the moment and the rules may be different in Sept 2018. I would strongly recommend that you confirm the funding details nearer the time; it might be a good idea to check directly with the university you are applying to.
Under the current rules, you would be able to apply for funding from Student Finance for Social Work, even though you already have a degree. You would not be guaranteed a Social Work Bursary even if you do get a place on the course as the number of these available are capped. It would certainly be worth talking directly to the admissions tutor for the course you are applying, to discuss entry requirements for the post graduate course if that is you preference, and depending on the relevance of the content of your current degree, they may also be able to advise you about joining the Social Work undergraduate course in Year 2.
Thanks for all your questions and thanks to Rob for his answers. If there's anything else you want to know have a look at our resources on our student finance zone.

Latest

Trending

Trending