The Student Room Group

Asthma?

I'm not sure if this is enough cause to get checked for asthma or if i'm just making mountains out of mole hills. I would appreciate a little advice. I guess i'll end up seeing somebody at some point anyway to stop myself worrying, but in the meantime at least it'd be good to know if people think i'm crazy :P
Anyway, here's a bit of background and the sort of stuff i'm noticing that's making me think about asthma...
I'm 21, female, have some health issues including hypothyroidism. I don't exercise at all (cos i'm too tired- hypothyroid n all that), but used to be relatively active and I don't think i'm crazy unfit or anything.
I've noticed that when I had some sort of cold recently I was wheezing and continued to for a while after (think it's stopped now) and I tend to feel like my breathing is more affected than it should be a lot of the times I have colds.
At times I will feel tight chested or short of breath. It's not always triggered by the same thing, but I have noticed it sometimes when I suddenly increase activity (like run for a bus), do basic things that don't usually affect me (like walking upstairs), get up from laying down.
I yawn a lot. Like a bunch. And I tend to get yawning fits when i'll feel like I need to yawn constantly or need to take a deep breath.
I sometimes whistle when I breath through my nose, but i'm pretty sure it's not just a snot blockage or something.
I get slight heartburn-ish and acid reflux-like symptoms from time to time. Like a discomfort in the chest or somewhat sick feeling in my throat.
I tend to get short of breath or tight chested in cold air, especially when it's sudden like walking out the front door in winter. It can also happen when i'm a bit stressed.
I'll sometimes get an odd dry/ tickly kinda feeling in my throat. Seems to happen more when i'm laying down, but i'm not sure.
I have had a couple of "episodes" where for a few days or weeks these sorts of symptoms were worse. I've even ended up having an ECG test once.

I have had my blood pressure and things like that checked and it's all normal, but i've never had any breathing related tests as far as I can remember. Does it sound like it's worth making an appointment or am I just more unfit than I realise?
Being short of breath during exercise or being affected by weather sounds like a good reason to get checked out. Better to be safe than sorry
it could be. but then it could be a symptom of your other conditions. have you ever had it as a child. youve answered what you need to do. how unfit are you and are you seriously overweight/underweight.
I would get it checked out, your symptoms may be suggestive of asthma.
Is there a family history of asthma?
Reply 4
Original post by paulbarlow
it could be. but then it could be a symptom of your other conditions. have you ever had it as a child. youve answered what you need to do. how unfit are you and are you seriously overweight/underweight.

Yeah I guess I kinda have answered myself. Nothing as a child that I saw anybody for, don't think I had any issues with breathlessness or anything either. I'm on the higher end of healthy weight. I'm by no means fit, but I like to think i'm not disastrously unfit. I don't do any exercise, but I think i'd be able to do light exercise at least. For me my only limit for a good while tends to be my chest, other stuff like tired muscles comes later. And I can keep going with less demanding stuff like climbing, exploring landscape or walking around for quite some time (hours) as long as I don't get the chest stuff. I would have thought if my issues were just down to fitness it'd be a bit more consistent too, like I'd always have issues with stairs or a sudden jog, not just sometimes. But that said I always thought asthma would be more obvious so I guess neither are what I would necessarily think.

Original post by Mrs House
I would get it checked out, your symptoms may be suggestive of asthma.
Is there a family history of asthma?

No family history that I know of. Thanks for the response.

Original post by claireestelle
Being short of breath during exercise or being affected by weather sounds like a good reason to get checked out. Better to be safe than sorry

Thanks for the response. I guess I just don't want to keep going to the doctors all the time. It's pretty regular for me since I have a few issues and I get the impression they think i'm a bit of a wimp.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I guess I kinda have answered myself. Nothing as a child that I saw anybody for, don't think I had any issues with breathlessness or anything either. I'm on the higher end of healthy weight. I'm by no means fit, but I like to think i'm not disastrously unfit. I don't do any exercise, but I think i'd be able to do light exercise at least. For me my only limit for a good while tends to be my chest, other stuff like tired muscles comes later. And I can keep going with less demanding stuff like climbing, exploring landscape or walking around for quite some time (hours) as long as I don't get the chest stuff. I would have thought if my issues were just down to fitness it'd be a bit more consistent too, like I'd always have issues with stairs or a sudden jog, not just sometimes. But that said I always thought asthma would be more obvious so I guess neither are what I would necessarily think.

Oh and thanks for your response btw.
I'm also thinking it may not just be fitness related cos it isn't just with exercise. It can come on from drinking or eating too much in one go too. Like i'll have to take a moment to recover as if i'd ran for the bus. I don't know if i'm just being oversensitive to normal stuff or something though. I told my doctor about the yawning stuff before and they suggested I might not know how to breathe properly... what the _ does that even mean? They gave me instructions and everything. XD
Yeh the problem lies with inhaling. In fact you should be more athletic because you lungs have been training against the constant contractions. But you'll still be athsmatic. If you get an inhaler things will be normal and you know you can die from an attack also.
Reply 7
Original post by Anfanny
Yeh the problem lies with inhaling. In fact you should be more athletic because you lungs have been training against the constant contractions. But you'll still be athsmatic. If you get an inhaler things will be normal and you know you can die from an attack also.

I've never had anything I would consider a proper "attack". I'm not sure how minimal asthma can be, but if I do have it it's definitely not bad. I'll get uncomfortable and might need to take a moment sometimes to recover, but it's never been really bad.

The thing you said about inhaling kinda makes sense to me though. I read something that says you can need to breathe quicker when you have asthma and if you're breathing as frequently as every two seconds you're breathing too fast. I guess this is cos you don't do enough from one breath so you kinda need to double it. Anyway, i've always noticed when I try to match people's breathing that i need to breathe in sooner, but I just assumed it's cos i'm smaller and will have smaller lungs.
So that breathing too quickly and not inhaling properly stuff does sound a bit like me.

I dunno, I guess it's probably unlikely that I do have asthma, but it seems it's just likely enough that I should at least look into it a little.
Thanks for your comment. I don't know much about asthma so it's good to hear a little more about it so I actually know what i'm considering. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've never had anything I would consider a proper "attack". I'm not sure how minimal asthma can be, but if I do have it it's definitely not bad. I'll get uncomfortable and might need to take a moment sometimes to recover, but it's never been really bad.

The thing you said about inhaling kinda makes sense to me though. I read something that says you can need to breathe quicker when you have asthma and if you're breathing as frequently as every two seconds you're breathing too fast. I guess this is cos you don't do enough from one breath so you kinda need to double it. Anyway, i've always noticed when I try to match people's breathing that i need to breathe in sooner, but I just assumed it's cos i'm smaller and will have smaller lungs.
So that breathing too quickly and not inhaling properly stuff does sound a bit like me.

I dunno, I guess it's probably unlikely that I do have asthma, but it seems it's just likely enough that I should at least look into it a little.
Thanks for your comment. I don't know much about asthma so it's good to hear a little more about it so I actually know what i'm considering. :smile:

Well you put more effort into inhaling because the airways are restricted. If you feel uncomfortable you are best getting the inhaler (brown one) if you don't you won't know how much you are being irritated. Doctors will sort you out if you speak to them they'll sort you out. I get bloodshot eyes and constricted pupils and a headache but I only notice that I have felt strangled because I have recovered using the brown one but you should seek medical advice definitely good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Anfanny
Well you put more effort into inhaling because the airways are restricted. If you feel uncomfortable you are best getting the inhaler (brown one) if you don't you won't know how much you are being irritated. Doctors will sort you out if you speak to them they'll sort you out. I get bloodshot eyes and constricted pupils and a headache but I only notice that I have felt strangled because I have recovered using the brown one but you should seek medical advice definitely good luck!

Thanks for the advice. Guess i'll make a list and go see my GP at some point. :smile:
I'd never really had a proper asthma attack before I got diagnosed (aged 23) but suspect I'd really had it for years. Everyone just kept telling me I was unfit, but now I look back on it I just think, in retrospect, I've always been at a healthy weight and I can't possibly have been that unfit. I think it was just that it was pretty mild and mostly exercise induced when I was younger, and therefore didn't get picked up on. It got more noticeable when I started uni and it began to be triggered more by other things.

So yes, it can be mild enough to not be so obvious; it was only after I got diagnosed and put on a preventative inhaler than some of the more minor symptoms became more noticeable when I wasn't having them any more (like I spent a long time thinking it was just unfitness and that everyone to some extent felt the same way running for the bus in the cold for example). I don't know whether if mine hadn't got a bit worse (I came down with a virus in freshers week at uni and was matching some of the symptoms that really flag up for an asthma diagnosis, like night time coughing and more frequent breathlessness) whether I'd have got diagnosed or just gone on feeling uncomfortable and unfit a lot of the time. I remember thinking for quite a while (like years) before hand 'I wonder if this might be asthma' and I wish I'd got it checked out sooner. So I would definitely say if it's a thought you've had, it's worth getting it looked into.
Original post by heidigirl
I'd never really had a proper asthma attack before I got diagnosed (aged 23) but suspect I'd really had it for years. Everyone just kept telling me I was unfit, but now I look back on it I just think, in retrospect, I've always been at a healthy weight and I can't possibly have been that unfit. I think it was just that it was pretty mild and mostly exercise induced when I was younger, and therefore didn't get picked up on. It got more noticeable when I started uni and it began to be triggered more by other things.

So yes, it can be mild enough to not be so obvious; it was only after I got diagnosed and put on a preventative inhaler than some of the more minor symptoms became more noticeable when I wasn't having them any more (like I spent a long time thinking it was just unfitness and that everyone to some extent felt the same way running for the bus in the cold for example). I don't know whether if mine hadn't got a bit worse (I came down with a virus in freshers week at uni and was matching some of the symptoms that really flag up for an asthma diagnosis, like night time coughing and more frequent breathlessness) whether I'd have got diagnosed or just gone on feeling uncomfortable and unfit a lot of the time. I remember thinking for quite a while (like years) before hand 'I wonder if this might be asthma' and I wish I'd got it checked out sooner. So I would definitely say if it's a thought you've had, it's worth getting it looked into.

Thanks for your input. It's nice to hear i'm not totally crazy for considering it. Do you mind if I ask how you did get diagnosed in the end? Are there tests or does the doctor just kinda decide?

Quick Reply

Latest