The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Waaay back in the beginning, I used to keep both feet on clutch and gas simultaneously whilst the car jerked around like crazy. For ages, I couldn't figure out how to stop it. After a while, you learn what your car feels like and how sensitive all the pedals are - especially the gas - which barely needs to be touched in the car I drive. Another thing I still struggle with is lane positioning. I'm always far too close to parked vehicles and the curb. Especially with a bay park, which most people find difficult, my advice would be to relax and concentrate hard. Make sure your timing is right. As soon as you lose control of the clutch and it rises even a tiny bit, the speed will prevent you from parking properly so always hold the clutch where it should be, especially when reversing. Don't rush it because if you put the lock on too early or late, you will swing out wide on either side and then it becomes almost impossible to be within the white lines without starting again, so take your time and you should be fine. My instructor told me that you don't have to have your seatbelt on during any of the 3 manoeuvres, which allows you to get the best view of the road in front of you. I find this, combined with checking mirrors is the easiest way to see where the car needs to be heading. Good luck :smile:
Original post by petite-abi
Just had my second mock test yesterday.. 11 minors and 2 serious faults, not much better than my first one which was 11 minors and 6 serious faults. But I just learned that it's what, 15 or more minors for a fail? So if I didn't get those serious faults I'd have passed.. I got one serious fault because was turning left and I took it WAYY too wide, no idea why? Then another serious fault for reverse round a corner. This was because I attempted to park in a bay but another car stole my space, I got all flustered and the car park was very small so there wasn't really anywhere else for me to park. So instructor told me to reverse out round the corner, and I decided to just do it very fast with no observation or control.. this is because when I drive with my dad tbh it's of course much less how things should be done. So I treated it like I was driving with him which is obviously a huge no.. I have my test on April 28th and i really need to pass because I'm going away travelling for 2 months early May so I'm desperate to pass :frown:

Just keep practicing is all you can do, especially maneuvers. So many people make silly mistakes before their test, obviously it's good be consistent when driving but nearly everyone does it. Or OTOH like me, I was doing well in my mocks but completely bodged up on the most stupid thing during my test! It really does just depend on the day. Be confident in your abilities and remember the techniques your instructors taught you. I didn't feel ready at all for my first test and I did fail, but now I'm feeling more sure of myself and hopefully more prepared for the second test. Tests are always a bit of a gamble, as long as your instructor thinks your ready then go with it and trust yourself :-). Good luck.
My first lesson after failing the first test went really well. I've no idea where it's come from but I'm feeling more confident and determined to do well and pass the second test. My instructor said I seemed different too, hopefully in a good way haha. There's not much he can do in terms of learning but I've said I want to continue having a lesson each week until my next test so that I don't lose any skills or my confidence. I don't like even missing a week incase I end up being nervy on something again.
Original post by enyav
Waaay back in the beginning, I used to keep both feet on clutch and gas simultaneously whilst the car jerked around like crazy. For ages, I couldn't figure out how to stop it. After a while, you learn what your car feels like and how sensitive all the pedals are - especially the gas - which barely needs to be touched in the car I drive. Another thing I still struggle with is lane positioning. I'm always far too close to parked vehicles and the curb. Especially with a bay park, which most people find difficult, my advice would be to relax and concentrate hard. Make sure your timing is right. As soon as you lose control of the clutch and it rises even a tiny bit, the speed will prevent you from parking properly so always hold the clutch where it should be, especially when reversing. Don't rush it because if you put the lock on too early or late, you will swing out wide on either side and then it becomes almost impossible to be within the white lines without starting again, so take your time and you should be fine. My instructor told me that you don't have to have your seatbelt on during any of the 3 manoeuvres, which allows you to get the best view of the road in front of you. I find this, combined with checking mirrors is the easiest way to see where the car needs to be heading. Good luck :smile:

I'm fine with the clutch during regular driving but not so confident when it comes to maneuvers. Even though I've always done well with them under guidance I do end up bringing the clutch up a bit too quickly! I don't stall or anything but my instructor says i need to be a bit slower with maneuvers so I don't overcook it.
When I first started my lessons I used to keep my left foot hovered over the clutch 'just incase', probably because my reactions were slower then. Now I don't even think about it.
Original post by MissDetermined
My first lesson after failing the first test went really well. I've no idea where it's come from but I'm feeling more confident and determined to do well and pass the second test. My instructor said I seemed different too, hopefully in a good way haha. There's not much he can do in terms of learning but I've said I want to continue having a lesson each week until my next test so that I don't lose any skills or my confidence. I don't like even missing a week incase I end up being nervy on something again.

That's really good, well done :biggrin:! When I passed on my 3rd attempt, I just kept having lessons in between, think it was just easier for me so I didn't forget anything and just to keep practicing as I never had practice outside of lessons. But hopefully you'll pass next time :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm fine with the clutch during regular driving but not so confident when it comes to maneuvers. Even though I've always done well with them under guidance I do end up bringing the clutch up a bit too quickly! I don't stall or anything but my instructor says i need to be a bit slower with maneuvers so I don't overcook it.
When I first started my lessons I used to keep my left foot hovered over the clutch 'just incase', probably because my reactions were slower then. Now I don't even think about it.

I think I did that when I first started to learn, having my left foot hovering over the clutch :tongue: think it was just a habit I got myself into, and I also remember having the clutch pressed down when approaching a roundabout and I think when approaching the end of the road, again another bad habit :lol: luckily I don't do that now though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
roundabouts​ are one of the toughest for me as my positioning is wrong. Also it's confusing when to put on you indicators.
Original post by ohhello92x
That's really good, well done :biggrin:! When I passed on my 3rd attempt, I just kept having lessons in between, think it was just easier for me so I didn't forget anything and just to keep practicing as I never had practice outside of lessons. But hopefully you'll pass next time :biggrin:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same. I don't have a car to use for practice so it's all lesson based. Probably up to about 40 hrs now. They can't complain at getting paid for doing less work haha. I definitely need to go over a local dual carriage way though next lesson, it's a big one and gets crazy busy at times and is quite often used during a test. Thank you hopefully I will... It's not for another month but keep checking for cancellations.
Original post by ALYAMAANI
roundabouts​ are one of the toughest for me as my positioning is wrong. Also it's confusing when to put on you indicators.

It differs but the general rule is that you approach in the left lane if you're turning left or going straight ahead. Approach in the right if you're turning right. Indicate on approach only if you're turning left or right. You indicate to leave the roundabout before your exit. So if you're going straight, indicate after the first exit. If you're turning right, indicate off after you've passed the second exit.
After typing that, I realise it might be slightly confusing :s-smilie:
Original post by cherryred90s
It differs but the general rule is that you approach in the left lane if you're turning left or going straight ahead. Approach in the right if you're turning right. Indicate on approach only if you're turning left or right. You indicate to leave the roundabout before your exit. So if you're going straight, indicate after the first exit. If you're turning right, indicate off after you've passed the second exit.

That makes sense. Try having to go in the right hand lane, to go ahead AND third exit :O that's what I failed on in my test.
Original post by cherryred90s

My instructor taught me to stay on the outside if you're turning left and Stay on the inside when turning right.
Under any circumstance would i need to indicate just before I enter the roundabout or do I only indicate just before i exit the roundabout.
Also what do you mean by indicate off after you've passed the second exit.
It's just a lil confusing lol
Zebra crossings. Failed my first exam in, I swear to God, literally the first minute because the car in front of me didn't stop for a waiting pedestrian, nd the examiner had to use the brake and clutch. Almost failed my exam the second time, if I didn't look to my left to see someone crossing. Other things were forgetting the handbrake, stalling by not giving the car nough power and driving too close to parked cars.
My instructor taught me to stay on the outside if you're turning left and Stay on the inside when turning right.
Under any circumstance would i need to indicate just before I enter the roundabout or do I only indicate just before i exit the roundabout.

You need to indicate when you approach a roundabout. Indicate left for first exit, no indication if going ahead, and indicate right if you're in the right hand lane and going off at the 3rd/4th exit etc. if you're going ahead you still need to indicate after you pass the first exit if ahead is the 2nd or more exit. And the same for any other exit after that if going right, you switch from right indication to left indication when your exit is the next one. I've probably made it sound more confusing but that's the best i can explain it haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
You need to indicate when you approach a roundabout. Indicate left for first exit, no indication if going ahead, and indicate right if you're in the right hand lane and going off at the 3rd/4th exit etc. if you're going ahead you still need to indicate after you pass the first exit if ahead is the 2nd or more exit. And the same for any other exit after that if going right, you switch from right indication to left indication when your exit is the next one. I've probably made it sound more confusing but that's the best i can explain it haha.

It was good and well written thank you

Yeah outside is left, inside is right.
When you're turning right, you signal right on approach to the roundabout. You then signal left to leave after you've passed the second exit so that the drivers on the roundabout know that you're leaving
Also, don't forget to check your mirrors before any indication, especially roundabouts! It's easily done...
-Storytime-

Had another driving lesson an it was one of those days! (wasn't feeling too good either). To add to that there is always stupid drivers on the A55! (I'm scared of slip roads and dual carriageways).

I was coming out off a slip road, everything was all good. Then I notice that there was another car trying to get on the dual carriageway. So I move into the right hand lane, as there was no room! In the left hand land, there was a lorry that's transports cars (don't know what they're called lmao). All of a sudden, it doesn't decide indicate or anything and just moves over to the right hand lane. (pretty sure they're not suppose to like). So I had brake pretty hard, so I didn't crash into it! And then because it scared me a little I didn't realise that i was about to little come off the A55! So I had to quickly get in the left hand lane to get off!

Then I was on a steep hill and there happens to be a traffic light on it. (I've never stopped on a hill this steep before). Everything is fine, I set off fine, I don't roll back, but I apparently tried to put it in 2nd gear too quick and the car was chugging.

I was also too close to curbs and cars and hesitating at junctions!

Isn't it funny how one lesson I can drive perfectly fine and then i have days like this! Crazy!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spock's Socks
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Release the clutch slowly until you feel the car start to lurch forward, then release the handbreak, at this point if you are at a junction the car will start to move, and if on a hill it won't roll back because you have the bite, and then slowly accelerate.

When I was learning I had to practice being stationary on a hill using only the clutch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, hope you're lessons are going well :smile:!

Just need to vent, I swear literally half the drivers in my town never fail to wind me up with their driving, like today I was driving home, on the first roundabout this driver with a van and how they were positioned on the roundabout while waiting for the lights to change, and then the exact same driver a little while later didn't indicate when they were going to the next lane. Also, on the second roundabout I was approaching the exit, some idiot driver decided to pull out just as I was approaching the exit (if I was a second or two closer then it obviously would've been an accident) so I ended up beeping. Then when I was driving up the hill the driver with the van (the one I described above) decided to pull up along the road without indicating! I think these people need retesting I swear :facepalm: :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe I'm on my 10thlesson now and a lot of it is coming quite naturally which is shocking to me as I'm a ridiculous anxious mess usually, suprisngly not so much behind the wheel!

The only thing that makes me anxious for now is roundabouts, I've only done them once a a couple of weeks ago and that stressed me out a tad. Other than that, doing suprisingly okay. :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending