The Student Room Group

Parents make me depressed...

Hello,
As an overweight sensitive person, i have been bullied all my life and that hurts my feelings a lot. Since i entered my sixth form all my friends have become mature and stopped poking fun at me and i really appreciate that. However, the problem is my parents. Every minute of the day they make fun of me and it's really getting to me now. I'm very depressed about this. Yes i talked to them about how i feel and they said they are trying to help me.
It's not helping
They make fun of me in front of their friends i even stopped going out to meet up with friends because of that, i even stopped going down to meet guests.
I really do love my parents, but i'm really starting to hate them as they emotionally hurt me everyday. To them i'm overreacting...but I'm not.
What do i do...
Reply 1
Start running a calorie deficit - take your health seriously.

That being said, your parents or anyone shouldn't be bullying you. You have to take a stand, trash talk back. Don't let them get away with it
Reply 2
Original post by zayn008
Start running a calorie deficit - take your health seriously.

That being said, your parents or anyone shouldn't be bullying you. You have to take a stand, trash talk back. Don't let them get away with it

Okay, thank you..i'll try my best to lose weight and ignore them
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, thank you..i'll try my best to lose weight and ignore them

Don't see it as losing weight, see it as leading a healthy lifestyle to improve your health and well being. Even just putting in the effort and leading a healthy lifestyle will stop their crap talk since they'll see you're doing something about it. I wouldn't ignore them, that's what you're doing now, stand up against them.
Reply 4
Original post by zayn008
Don't see it as losing weight, see it as leading a healthy lifestyle to improve your health and well being. Even just putting in the effort and leading a healthy lifestyle will stop their crap talk since they'll see you're doing something about it. I wouldn't ignore them, that's what you're doing now, stand up against them.

Okay :smile: Thanks for the kind advice.
The thing is i know they love me and all, they always help me with my work and stuff and want a good future for me.
I can't talk back cause i respect them too much.
But thanks, i will cut junk food and eat more fruits as of today :smile:
Reply 5
The thing is i know they love me and all, they always help me with my work and stuff and want a good future for me.

I suggest you start here.
Reply 6
do you want to lose some weight?have you try any diet?
Reply 7

Raised up well:clap2:
Your friends used to make fun of you? Okay if that's in year 9 or below but year 10 & 11... is just a no no
Get some thicker skin
My mum made me really paranoid she called me a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: when she was drunk and just kept being abusive. Horrible woman.
Original post by MagnifiWilly
Get some thicker skin

Original post by MagnifiWilly
Get some thicker skin

Easier said than done
My mum made me really paranoid she called me a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: when she was drunk and just kept being abusive. Horrible woman.

I'm sorry that happened to you :frown:
Original post by emerald7770
Your friends used to make fun of you? Okay if that's in year 9 or below but year 10 & 11... is just a no no

Yes they made fun of me up until yr11 and in sneaky ways as well. Say a fat movie character pops up or something on screen they'd compare me to her/him/it. When shopping they would make snarky remarks like 'haha you lost weight..(not really)' 'No point going to that shop, nothings gonna fit or hinting it etc' trying to make me feel bad about clothing sizes etc.
It was horrible. Glad they changed now :smile: I've laughed it off most of the time, but deep inside it does really hurt
Im not obese..just overweight.
Original post by Profesh
I suggest you start here.

Original post by diyu98
do you want to lose some weight?have you try any diet?

Yeah well i'm looking into diets atm..determined to lose weight :smile:
Have a serious conversation with your parents and ask them to stop as its really bothering you. Same with friends and make sure you're friends with the right people. Maybe they think it's a joke etc but try and make them realise it's affecting you

Hope the problem gets better and you manage to become happier from it :redface:
Original post by AndrewSCO
Have a serious conversation with your parents and ask them to stop as its really bothering you. Same with friends and make sure you're friends with the right people. Maybe they think it's a joke etc but try and make them realise it's affecting you

Hope the problem gets better and you manage to become happier from it :redface:

Thank you for you kind words :smile:
I know it's difficult, but try not to care. Love yourself. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending