The Student Room Group

Let him down nicely...

Last night a guy that I like asked me out. Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him. I told him I would think about it as at the time I wasn't sure as to whether or not I should say yes. I've decided to say no but an unsure as to how to say it without hurting him..
He is a nice guy but I can't date him. I know that when I say no he is going to be hurt and I don't want that! Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bham369
Last night a guy that I like asked me out. Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him. I told him I would think about it as at the time I wasn't sure as to whether or not I should say yes. I've decided to say no but an unsure as to how to say it without hurting him..
He is a nice guy but I can't date him. I know that when I say no he is going to be hurt and I don't want that! Please help!

He should respect your decision. Make sure you say it nicely and explain why etc... Explain that you do not mean to hurt him but this is the best decision for you.:smile:
Reply 2
If you can't date him, you can't date him. There's no need for an ambiguous response that will lead to him asking a third time. Just say you're not looking to date anyone right now. Rejection hurts but that's part of life, he'll get over it.
Original post by UWS
If you can't date him, you can't date him. There's no need for an ambiguous response that will lead to him asking a third time. Just say you're not looking to date anyone right now. Rejection hurts but that's part of life, he'll get over it.

Exemplary advice.:smile:
Obv your choice but I don't see why you can't date him if you like him? If you don't feel you know him well enough, well why do you like him at all if you don't want to know him better?
I'm confused - surely, if you like him, get to know him better?
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
Obv your choice but I don't see why you can't date him if you like him? If you don't feel you know him well enough, well why do you like him at all if you don't want to know him better?

I want to get to know him more before I date him. I fancy him because he is a nice, genuine guy and he really knows how to make me smile. But I haven't known him for too long and I just feel that I should get to know him a bit more before I can call him my bf.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag

That is the plan. But I don't want to date him yet...
Original post by Bham369
I want to get to know him more before I date him. I fancy him because he is a nice, genuine guy and he really knows how to make me smile. But I haven't known him for too long and I just feel that I should get to know him a bit more before I can call him my bf.

Spoiler

Awwwww:frown: I am sorry to hear that, maybe you should give this guy who clearly wants to go out with you a chance? See how things go?
Reply 9
Original post by adorable16
Awwwww:frown: I am sorry to hear that, maybe you should give this guy who clearly wants to go out with you a chance? See how things go?

Thing is he isn't the only person I have feelings for. If I did date him I would be lying to him and myself...
Original post by Bham369
Thing is he isn't the only person I have feelings for. If I did date him I would be lying to him and myself...

I see your point.
You having feelings for a few people is normal, but you need to at least give him a chance.:smile:I think anyway:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tiger Rag

You can like someone in a strictly platonic way. There's nothing wrong with telling someone you have no more feelings for them than as friends.
Original post by Bham369
Thing is although I really like him I don't feel I know him enough to date him.

That's just silly, surely if you like someone enough then you do everything you can to get to know them better. So, obviously you don't like him :tongue: As for the hurt? There's no need to feel guilty, he's a guy so he'll have to learn to cope with rejection at some point in his life.
Reply 13
Original post by adorable16
I see your point.
You having feelings for a few people is normal, but you need to at least give him a chance.:smile:I think anyway:smile:

But would I not be lying to him? I don't want to do that!
Original post by Bham369

Spoiler

If you like him but you're not ready yet, tell him that. Say you want to go on a couple dates to get to know him a bit better before you commit, it's always worth a try. But if you honestly don't see yourself ever wanting to get in a relationship with him, that is completely fine and you don't have to. Just be honest with him. The fact that you're worrying about this shows that you're a good person so probably feel a bit bad about hurting his feelings, but ultimately, you have to do what's best for you and what makes you happy. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Bham369
But would I not be lying to him? I don't want to do that!

Maybe you should tell him the situation you are in?
So he understands and maybe it can be more of a hangout then a date?
And when you are satisfied you can discus further relationship aspects?
Reply 16
Original post by Philip-flop
That's just silly, surely if you like someone enough then you do everything you can to get to know them better. So, obviously you don't like him :tongue: As for the hurt? There's no need to feel guilty, he's a guy so he'll have to learn to cope with rejection at some point in his life.

I am trying to get to know him better. Like I have said before I fear it may just be a crush and nothing serious.

As for rejecting him. I know that he will have to get used to it but I'm not sure what to tell him...
Original post by Bham369

You can't go out with him, but you love him in a sisterly way?
Reply 18
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
You can't go out with him, but you love him in a sisterly way?

No. I have a crush on him. I like him as more than friends...
Reply 19
Original post by Bham369

It's nice that you've thought it through instead of saying no outright. Just let him know you're not looking for a relationship and you're not ready for one in your life just now. Maybe over time you might grow to like him more and change your mind, here's hoping he still likes you by then and the tables don't turn haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending