The Student Room Group

Compelling circumstances - extra gift year - enough evidence?

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression after getting out of an abusive relationship. I have a medical note from my doctor and have been referred for counselling and I am in touch with the wellbeing team at university who want to get me a statement for support with my studies.

The issue I am having is that I am wanting to retake this year but as I used my gift year already from switching courses after first year I was wondering if this would be enough evidence.

My doctor is sure that I will be better by September to start a fresh year, I am just really worried about not being able to return due to funding issues.

Is this enough evidence?
Reply 1
Original post by Beehinch
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression after getting out of an abusive relationship. I have a medical note from my doctor and have been referred for counselling and I am in touch with the wellbeing team at university who want to get me a statement for support with my studies.

The issue I am having is that I am wanting to retake this year but as I used my gift year already from switching courses after first year I was wondering if this would be enough evidence.

My doctor is sure that I will be better by September to start a fresh year, I am just really worried about not being able to return due to funding issues.

Is this enough evidence?

Your doctors note needs to state that the reason you dropped out was due to the anxiety and depression. It's not enough for the note to just say that you have this - many students succeed at university despite having similar difficulties. One of the reasons people get rejected for CPR is because their evidence doesn't go into enough detail on this.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
Your doctors note needs to state that the reason you dropped out was due to the anxiety and depression. It's not enough for the note to just say that you have this - many students succeed at university despite having similar difficulties. One of the reasons people get rejected for CPR is because their evidence doesn't go into enough detail on this.

Thank you. it was the abusive relationship that caused the symptoms that meant I couldn't cope with uni anymore. The wellbeing team at my university say that they can help with evidence and a supporting statement of this. Do you know if this is something that SFE usually consider?
Original post by Beehinch
Thank you. it was the abusive relationship that caused the symptoms that meant I couldn't cope with uni anymore. The wellbeing team at my university say that they can help with evidence and a supporting statement of this. Do you know if this is something that SFE usually consider?

Hi Beehinch,

Anything that has affected your study will be considered. As the reasons depend on your circumstances you should send as much information as possible.

Any evidence you're submitting from a 3rd party (wellbeing team, GP etc) should be on their headed paper, be signed and dated, confirm the reason you could not continue with your studies and when this took place.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending