The Student Room Group

Why are some people against homosexuality?

Scroll to see replies

They're scared of the unknown. Shame really. Love is love.
Original post by EternalLight

Too much pressure is being placed on heterosexuals these days to support and agree with the act of homosexuality.

Where are heterosexuals being pressured into supporting and agreeing with the act of homosexuality?

The problem is people confuse free speech and debate which challenges views, such as branding homosexual acts immoral, with being pressured into supporting homosexual acts.
Original post by Anonymous

How does homosexuality benefit anyone? It means someone is incapable of fulfilling their goal in life. Gay people are a failure of nature. No offence.

Population control, "gay uncle" theory, etc. Why is your idea of a "benefit" to humanity restricted to reproduction?

How do acts of love benefit anyone? How does kissing benefit anyone? How do sexual acts which do not include unprotected vaginal sex benefit anyone?

Why don't we all just become reproductive sex robots?

By "natural" I don't mean it is physically unnatural, evidently it exists and does not seem like it was man made. But it is not healthy or normal, in the same way that any other defect or illness is not healthy despite it being naturally caused.

How does it fit into the definition of a defect or illness? Does a heterosexual person who only wants to engage in sexual acts which do not reproduce suffer from a defect or illness?
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you think God created us to be gay? Gay people are quite the anomaly muslims aren't the only religious group against homosexuality CATHOLICS also despise it. Homosexuality is an abomination of nature it is not normal for a child to be raised by only one gender. Please do not convert to islam we dont need people like you.

Why are you posting this behind Anonymous?
Original post by Getinthegutter
I have nothing against queers, I just do not like the promotion of it via TV programmes such as corronation street and Eastenders which greatly over represents gay people, there is nothing wrong with it but i do not want it shoved down everyones neck. I bet if you compared the gay characters in coronation street with the national trends they are greatly over representative.

Heterosexuality is promoted way more than homosexuality. The majority of characters on a TV show are straight. A lot of TV shows don't even have major gay characters. We are not greatly over represented. Only white gay men are overrepresented on TV. Have you ever thought that maybe us LGBT people are sick of having straightness shoved down our throats? When we are represented on TV we are often just the gay best friend to a straight character.
I know they don't choose their sexuality, humans are naturally attracted to beauty. I am straight but I know a beautiful woman when I see one.

The issue arises when they ACT upon those immoral desires. Being attracted to the same sex isn't a sin in Islam, acting on it is. The solution then is to have some self control over your desires and don't engage in the act, from a religious standpoint anyway.

How is love immoral?
Again you're confusing the terms. Loving someone is not a sin, having homosexual feelings for someone is not a sin. ACTING on those feelings is what makes them a sin and in the Bible people who engage in homosexual acts are regarded as evil and immoral.

Do the research for yourself.

Actually in Islam the punishment for homosexuality is death, not just the "act" but just being gay.

https://sunnah.com/urn/2015030
Do you think God created us to be gay? Gay people are quite the anomaly muslims aren't the only religious group against homosexuality CATHOLICS also despise it. Homosexuality is an abomination of nature it is not normal for a child to be raised by only one gender. Please do not convert to islam we dont need people like you.

I mean, if God created humans as is believed by the major religions, then by extension yes, he created some to be gay?

If you're taking 'normal' to literally mean most common, then you're still stretching to say it's not normal to be raised by one gender, given the number of single parents. If you're taking it to say same-sex parenting is a bad thing, then almost every scientific study into it is working against you, so you'd be hard pushed to make a solid argument to support that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
"I have nothing against gay people but I am against gay people"

I don't have anything against them, they can choose to live their life however they want. But yes I judge it and I don't believe it is a good thing.

Original post by Goldfish4343
And now you are calling homosexuality an illness. Me being gay doesn't harm anyone. Does oral sex or sex for fun help anyone? And what is the goal in life? To have children? So people that can't have children have also failed?

Correct, anyone who cannot reproduce is a biological failure. But we don't celebrate people who can't reproduce in the way that gays are celebrated and embraced.

Also call me conservative but in terms of our society men and women have different roles and in families there should be 1 man and 1 woman. If someone wants to be 2 men together then they have the right to do that but again it is not something I personally support or believe in.

Original post by blue2337
1. and 2. it's clearly natural due to the fact that homosexuality is found in hundreds of animal species all over the world. Swans can be gay... If you're taking defects as your reason and lambasting homosexuals for being outside of the 'norm', I'm pretty sure brown eyes were originally a defect? Our pancreas has become a defect, because it's good for nothing except exploding, and yet we don't rail against that? Humans weren't meant to survive cancer and yet we've been working f*cking hard to fix that.

How on earth is that an argument? Look to other species in the animal kingdom and you find rape, murder, cannibalism. Since when did "well animals do it so we should too" become a thing?

Original post by blue2337
But for real, are you seriously arguing that procreation is every person's sole goal in life? Are you serious? There is so, so much wrong with that I can't even begin to take you seriously. First off, homosexuality may have been an impediment in the Stone Ages (where homophobia belongs), but we have a population growing at unbelievable speeds. The fostering system is crumbling under the weight of children without parents or a suitable home life. Gay people are helping you all, so be grateful - imagine if the entire world was 100% straight... the rates of population growth would be unbelievable, and resources would be even more stretched than the way they are now? Maybe homosexuality 'evolved' as a way of checking population growth? Like secondly you say 'how does it benefit anyone?' but that's just a crock of s***, why does it need to benefit anyone? If someone's gay, and they accept who they are, their sexuality isn't done as a benefit but it's a part of who they are and they can't change it, and they're certainly not doing it to help you and your life. That's like asking why someone with brown hair has brown hair if it doesn't benefit them. It's just how they are, you sockmonkey.

Yes, from a biological perspective you have one purpose, to reproduce and pass your genes on.

As I said above, we should not be embracing and validating these lifestyles. Of course they should not be discriminated against, should have legally the same rights as anyone else, but we should not encourage the lifestyle of homosexuality.
Correct, anyone who cannot reproduce is a biological failure. But we don't celebrate people who can't reproduce in the way that gays are celebrated and embraced.

But they can reproduce, they choose not to.

It is not unknown for lesbian couples to have their own children.
I tend to lean towards the idea that everyone can do whatever they want as long as they're not infringing upon other's rights. Homosexuality is fine, heterosexuality is fine. Same-sex marriage is fine, but no church should ever be forced to perform same-sex ceremonies.

People simply living their own lives and loving who they want does not in any way infringe upon my rights as a Christian. Being gay is not a choice or a sin. In my church, only the 'act' is a sin, in the same way that a heterosexual 'act' is a sin outside of wedlock.

(Plus same-sex couples not reproducing is no bad thing- they're picking up the slack and adopting the unwanted babies from good christian folks who won't get abortions) :u:
Original post by Meany Pie
How is love immoral?

The sexual act is immoral.

Original post by Meany Pie
Actually in Islam the punishment for homosexuality is death, not just the "act" but just being gay.

https://sunnah.com/urn/2015030

"Whoever you find doing" describes the act.

The act!

THE ACT!

THE ACT!!!

The act!

THE ACT!

THE ACT!!!

How is the act immoral?

It says homosexuality, the act of homosexuality is being homosexual.
It's a common misunderstanding that people choose to follow a religion.

Oh, so you accept the well known fact that your religion is propagated (mainly) through child indoctrination ?

That was easy !

To demonstrate this I challenge you to genuinely believe in Islam for 1 week, to genuinely with all your heart believe Allah is God.

The issue with this is that Islam can be followed, but anyone with rational and logical thinking will reject it.

You are saying that religion in general cannot be chosen to follow, but infact, it is only certain religions that I wouldn't follow.

Point I'm making is faith comes from the heart. It's simply not a choice.

Ah I see, so presumbly Allah decides who will be a Muslim (for their life) and who will not be a Muslim (for their life).

It therefore follows that your (already flawed) concept of "life being a test", is even more flawed by your own admission.

Therefore, life cannot be a test and your religion is sinking quick (academically of-course).
While I'll agree that your parents religion does have an impact on what religion you will follow

The vast majority of the time, it doesn't merely have an "impact", but rather it decides it.

I still maintain that once you believe in said religion, that belief is not controllable, I can't just switch it off.

So you don't believe that Ex Christians, Ex Muslims, Ex Jews etc etc (apostates) exist ???
Original post by Nathan Scott
Lol did you just try to convert me?

Oldest trick in the book.
Original post by mil88
Oh, so you accept the well known fact that your religion is propagated (mainly) through child indoctrination ?

That was easy !

It's common sense that children are influenced by their parents decisions but once you have the ability to investigate other religions most Muslims stay Muslim and do not convert to some other religion.

Ah I see, so presumbly Allah decides who will be a Muslim (for their life) and who will not be a Muslim (for their life).

It therefore follows that your (already flawed) concept of "life being a test", is even more flawed by your own admission.

Therefore, life cannot be a test and your religion is sinking quick (academically of-course).

The reason why all children go to heaven is because they are unable to investigate Islam for themselves, they are too young. However once you are old enough to understand it all and you have the mental and physical ability to learn about it then there is no excuse not to, except arrogance.

Then Allah will either guide you or he won't. You have to take the first step though :smile:

I would like to see a justification for this.

The act!

THE ACT!

THE ACT!!!

Why?

Someone with emotional and sexual attractions should be able to practice. Only allowing "attraction" to the same gender will inevitably lead to issues later on, namely mental.

Lets do a demonstration now:
You refrain from any sexual acts for the rest of your life, but can still have "attraction" to the opposite gender.

Then we can discuss just how fair your ideology is.
Original post by mil88
I would like to see a justification for this.

Why?

Someone with emotional and sexual attractions should be able to practice. Only allowing "attraction" to the same gender will inevitably lead to issues later on, namely mental.

Lets do a demonstration now:
You refrain from any sexual acts for the rest of your life, but can still have "attraction" to the opposite gender.

Then we can discuss just how fair your ideology is.

I'm not going into this debate again, I don't have the energy to do it all over again and I've done it enough times before.
I'm not going into this debate again, I don't have the energy to do it all over again and I've done it enough times before.

Not to worry.

Judging by some of your replies/posts, I also affirm about you not being able to engage in said debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending