The Student Room Group
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website

University of Gloucestershire 2017 students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeyItsClaudiaT
I've confirmed University of Gloucestershire as my firm choice and I am studying magazine journalism and production! Anyone else starting this September and what course are you doing? :smile:

ive got an unconditional to study animation!
The University of Gloucestershire
University of Gloucestershire
Cheltenham
Visit website
Original post by teecake_
I'll be starting in September! I'm studying Film Production on Park Campus☺️

Whoop for anyone whos got a room in Park villas :wink:
I was actually looking to see if anyone had posted on here about Pittville Student Village as that's where I'll be living, but I ended up on this thread instead. Not sure if you look back at this thread or not but I'm doing magazine journalism and production too :smile:
I'm a mature student studying psychology 😀 anyone else ?
I know this is an old discussion but I’m looking for advice on which accomodation to apply to next year? I’ll be at Park campus - Do you think I should apply for the halls on campus or Pittville? I really like the look of Pittville but am worried about the reliability of buses every day !!
Reply 65
Pittville is nice but buses are like every 30/45 minutes and I know people that have to leave their lectures early to get the bus or be waiting 45 minutes on some days. It’s like a 30 minute walk to Park. I’m at Eildon and Merrowdown and even tho it’s the cheapest block it’s the best 😂 They don’t do tours of eildon and merrowdown tho and it’s a lot better than the virtual tours look but I’d go for the annexe if you look at it but there’s only like 18 rooms in the merrowdown annexe, unless your an international student, the eildon annexe. Some of my friends live on park in the villas and they love it but it takes them a while to get into town and are constantly on campus coz of it, so I’d live off campus unless u wanna be there all the time 😊
Reply 66
Pittville is nice but buses are like every 30/45 minutes and I know people that have to leave their lectures early to get the bus or be waiting 45 minutes on some days. It’s like a 30 minute walk to Park. I’m at Eildon and Merrowdown and even tho it’s the cheapest block it’s the best 😂 They don’t do tours of eildon and merrowdown tho and it’s a lot better than the virtual tours look but I’d go for the annexe if you look at it but there’s only like 18 rooms in the merrowdown annexe, unless your an international student, the eildon annexe. Some of my friends live on park in the villas and they love it but it takes them a while to get into town and are constantly on campus coz of it, so I’d live off campus unless u wanna be there all the time 😊
Reply 67
Original post by emmax1d

I've got to agree there not only is Pittville on the outskirts of Cheltenham but in order to go anywhere such as to University or just to town you have to wait around for a bus, not unless you've got a bike of course personally in my own opinion it's nice at the Merrowdown Annexe, the rooms are fairly big for what you pay and the en-suite is nice which is a plus. It's only a short walk to Uni as well as to town, can't go wrong staying there if you ask me :smile:
Original post by emmax16

Original post by Ducky05
I've got to agree there not only is Pittville on the outskirts of Cheltenham but in order to go anywhere such as to University or just to town you have to wait around for a bus, not unless you've got a bike of course personally in my own opinion it's nice at the Merrowdown Annexe, the rooms are fairly big for what you pay and the en-suite is nice which is a plus. It's only a short walk to Uni as well as to town, can't go wrong staying there if you ask me :smile:

Thank you both. I have seen both Pittville and Park villas through a tour, but as you’ve said the Merrowdown Annexe doesn’t have a tour and I can’t find the virtual tour online! I wouldn’t want to stay at accommodation I haven’t seen, where can I find photos of the room size (and how big is the wardrobe?) ? The location of these halls sound great though :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by megrpricey
Thank you both. I have seen both Pittville and Park villas through a tour, but as you’ve said the Merrowdown Annexe doesn’t have a tour and I can’t find the virtual tour online! I wouldn’t want to stay at accommodation I haven’t seen, where can I find photos of the room size (and how big is the wardrobe?) ? The location of these halls sound great though :smile:

Here you go:
http://virtualtours.glos.ac.uk/

On this glos site you just need to select what hall and on what campus you want to check out and then have a full 360 degree view of the rooms for both Annexe (with en-suite) and normal Eildon and Merrowdown with share toilet ect
Original post by megrpricey
I know this is an old discussion but I’m looking for advice on which accomodation to apply to next year? I’ll be at Park campus - Do you think I should apply for the halls on campus or Pittville? I really like the look of Pittville but am worried about the reliability of buses every day !!

Hey, I'm currently living at Pittville and study at Park, for me I personally think it's great. As the others have said it's a bit far from everything but i really do not see that as a problem. The buses run every 30 mins and i do not see them as a problem. I always take a bus in the morning but often walk back, yeah it's a 40 minute walk but it's really not bad. With quite a lot of people doing the walk ,you'll most likely know someone who is always up for walking home too. December is where i found myself getting the bus back simply since it was colder and darker, if you have to wait half an hour for the bus go sit in the bar or library and get a bit of work done it really isn't a problem. The walk to town is around 20 mins but really doesn't feel far again, especially since you can walk through the park and that. If you like going out there's also the boogie bus which is a free direct bus to MooMoo and one on return that goes straight to pittville so that's not an issue. The only problem with Pittville and its distance is food shopping, only because the shops are in town and carrying them back is always annoying (depending on how much you get at a time). I've done a couple of food shops with my house mates and that's easy, straight to the door, but its cheaper to go to town since there's Lidl and Iceland and stuff. Hope this helps with your decision, if I were you I'd deffo apply for Pittville and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions
Original post by stephiem1999
Hey, I'm currently living at Pittville and study at Park, for me I personally think it's great. As the others have said it's a bit far from everything but i really do not see that as a problem. The buses run every 30 mins and i do not see them as a problem. I always take a bus in the morning but often walk back, yeah it's a 40 minute walk but it's really not bad. With quite a lot of people doing the walk ,you'll most likely know someone who is always up for walking home too. December is where i found myself getting the bus back simply since it was colder and darker, if you have to wait half an hour for the bus go sit in the bar or library and get a bit of work done it really isn't a problem. The walk to town is around 20 mins but really doesn't feel far again, especially since you can walk through the park and that. If you like going out there's also the boogie bus which is a free direct bus to MooMoo and one on return that goes straight to pittville so that's not an issue. The only problem with Pittville and its distance is food shopping, only because the shops are in town and carrying them back is always annoying (depending on how much you get at a time). I've done a couple of food shops with my house mates and that's easy, straight to the door, but its cheaper to go to town since there's Lidl and Iceland and stuff. Hope this helps with your decision, if I were you I'd deffo apply for Pittville and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions

Thank you so much, this is a massive help! Nice to hear a response from the point of view of someone at Pittville :smile:

Firstly, as you said about food shopping, do most places deliver to your door? It does seem like it’d be a bit of a pain to walk 20 mins to buy a load of food, only to struggle on the way back!

Also, out of curiosity, can you get an annual bus pass or something? Or do you have to pay the £1.40 or whatever the fee is each time? I do personally really like the look of Pittville, the rooms look more spacious than other accomodation blocks, the set up is quite nicely done and I like the idea of a student village, but obviously with it being so far away it makes the decision slightly more difficult haha!
There is Regency Halls right in the centre of Cheltenham that has available accommodation. En-suite shower rooms with shared kitchen - all for £99.00 p/week (all utilities & wifi included) £250.00 deposit to secure room.
I’ll be studying Media Production in Glos in sept! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending