The Student Room Group

What do you look for in UCAS references from teachers?

What do you look for in UCAS references from teachers? Would you advise a Cambridge-specific reference be sent?
Original post by new1234
What do you look for in UCAS references from teachers? Would you advise a Cambridge-specific reference be sent?

Just tagging in @Murray Edwards Admissions
Don;t send a Cambridge-specific reference. The UCAs reference, like the PS, should be aimed at maximising your chances at all your choices. That said, we like to get a sense from your school and teachers of how suitable they think you are for studying this subject at a highly-selective university. Comments about your ability, attainment, potential and work ethic are therefore welcome and it can be particularly useful for us to get a sense from them as tto how highy they regard you among your peers/past applicants (best physicist in the year; usually in the top third of English students; as good a Mathemtician as our experienced Maths teacher has taught in 10 years etc.)
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Don;t send a Cambridge-specific reference. The UCAs reference, like the PS, should be aimed at maximising your chances at all your choices. That said, we like to get a sense from your school and teachers of how suitable they think you are for studying this subject at a highly-selective university. Comments about your ability, attainment, potential and work ethic are therefore welcome and it can be particularly useful for us to get a sense from them as tto how highy they regard you among your peers/past applicants (best physicist in the year; usually in the top third of English students; as good a Mathemtician as our experienced Maths teacher has taught in 10 years etc.)

I've just read the reference my teachers have written so far and it's absolutely shocking - there's so many grammatical and spelling errors, and I think one teacher's copy and pasted a paragraph for everyone because he put 'his' instead of 'her' :s Would this jeopardise my application in any way?
Reply 4
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I've just read the reference my teachers have written so far and it's absolutely shocking - there's so many grammatical and spelling errors, and I think one teacher's copy and pasted a paragraph for everyone because he put 'his' instead of 'her' :s Would this jeopardise my application in any way?

Ask them to change it or in my case my tutor is changing it for me!
Original post by new1234
Ask them to change it or in my case my tutor is changing it for me!

Ahh I'm planning on it but worried after I ask them to edit it they'll redraft it and will still have mistakes, and it will just be a continuous loop! Plus there's not much time left before the Oxbridge deadline! Want to know if a badly written reference will give me a disadvantage in any way :s
Original post by gcsemusicsucks

No, your applying not your referee. If you’re unhappy with it, then ask them to correct it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending