The Student Room Group

Driving instructor issues/advice

There's no other way to write about my strange DI experience than to do it in list format:

1. The general creepiness that seemed to escalate as I got nearer and nearer to my test. E.g. At first he would just mention inappropriate sexual things like strap ons, anal, all sorts of weird ****. Also making comments about my boobs and a girl who I knew who he took for lessons boob size. Also, making me drive passed past student's houses and even parking outside where they work and like waiting until they come and speak to him (all girls). Then on one of my lessons he just comes out with "the two best things to learn in life is learn how to drive and learn how to have sex." Wtf?!

2. About 3/4 of the way through my lessons I split up with my bf who was also doing lessons with him. Literally the lesson after I told him he upped the whole creepy game. He started touching/grabbing my arm about 9-10 times a lesson (I counted). He also decided to tell me that I looked/acted/sounded like a girl that he had a crush on at school which was so awkward. Started telling me about his marriage problems and invited me into his house (made it impossible to say no) luckily his wife was there. Once in his house he moved passed me and like rubbed his body up against mine right in front of his wife 😳 I was mortified and terrified.

3. Ripping me off for lessons/prelonging everything (ended up driving with him for about 9 months)

4. Going on his phone for long periods of time while I was driving to the point where I'd have to tell him I needed help e.g coming up to a roundabout etc.

5. Making inappropriate comments about my family. E.g about saying my mum's attractive

6. Taking a mock test and all of a sudden I become the worst driver ever and he's giving me minors for things that I wasn't even doing. And on the way back told me the wrong directions and yelled at me to the point where I nearly cried.

7. Ended up going with another DI and she told me he'd taught me all wrong 🙄

8. After I'd cancelled with him he sent me a text saying "hope it's not me lol" 🙄 and then a few weeks later i was going out with my parents and he randomly texts me that he's just seen me in my dad's car (like he's memorised it 😳). Anyway, it's been about 4/5 months since I cancelled on him and he sends me a message saying "hi love how're you getting on at uni?" Like wtf?!

I really need some advice on what to do bc it really ruined my summer and my experience driving. I have no confidence and failed my test and tbh I never want to drive again. It's just really annoyed me bc I know he's done it/is doing it to numerous other girls my age and it's disgusting bc he's like in his late 50s and some of these girls have just turned 17 😳 and it's so unnerving bc it feels like he's fixated on me.
Tell someone.
Original post by Bethy311097
There's no other way to write about my strange DI experience than to do it in list format:

1. The general creepiness that seemed to escalate as I got nearer and nearer to my test. E.g. At first he would just mention inappropriate sexual things like strap ons, anal, all sorts of weird ****. Also making comments about my boobs and a girl who I knew who he took for lessons boob size. Also, making me drive passed past student's houses and even parking outside where they work and like waiting until they come and speak to him (all girls). Then on one of my lessons he just comes out with "the two best things to learn in life is learn how to drive and learn how to have sex." Wtf?!

2. About 3/4 of the way through my lessons I split up with my bf who was also doing lessons with him. Literally the lesson after I told him he upped the whole creepy game. He started touching/grabbing my arm about 9-10 times a lesson (I counted). He also decided to tell me that I looked/acted/sounded like a girl that he had a crush on at school which was so awkward. Started telling me about his marriage problems and invited me into his house (made it impossible to say no) luckily his wife was there. Once in his house he moved passed me and like rubbed his body up against mine right in front of his wife 😳 I was mortified and terrified.

3. Ripping me off for lessons/prelonging everything (ended up driving with him for about 9 months)

4. Going on his phone for long periods of time while I was driving to the point where I'd have to tell him I needed help e.g coming up to a roundabout etc.

5. Making inappropriate comments about my family. E.g about saying my mum's attractive

6. Taking a mock test and all of a sudden I become the worst driver ever and he's giving me minors for things that I wasn't even doing. And on the way back told me the wrong directions and yelled at me to the point where I nearly cried.

7. Ended up going with another DI and she told me he'd taught me all wrong 🙄

8. After I'd cancelled with him he sent me a text saying "hope it's not me lol" 🙄 and then a few weeks later i was going out with my parents and he randomly texts me that he's just seen me in my dad's car (like he's memorised it 😳). Anyway, it's been about 4/5 months since I cancelled on him and he sends me a message saying "hi love how're you getting on at uni?" Like wtf?!

I really need some advice on what to do bc it really ruined my summer and my experience driving. I have no confidence and failed my test and tbh I never want to drive again. It's just really annoyed me bc I know he's done it/is doing it to numerous other girls my age and it's disgusting bc he's like in his late 50s and some of these girls have just turned 17 😳 and it's so unnerving bc it feels like he's fixated on me.

May I suggest reporting him to the DVSA? Or seek some legal advice.

Also may I ask what was hard about saying “no” to go to his house? :curious:

This thread should be in Learning to drive. I’ll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
My parents have basically told me to just stay quiet about it all. So idk what to do.

And idk why it was difficult to say no tbh. I guess he knew I was one of those people who doesn't like to offend. I know that sounds stupid and I definitely would say no now.
Original post by Bethy311097
My parents have basically told me to just stay quiet about it all. So idk what to do.

And idk why it was difficult to say no tbh. I guess he knew I was one of those people who doesn't like to offend. I know that sounds stupid and I definitely would say no now.

You most certainly shouldn’t stay quiet IMO.

You basically went to a strangers house, why wouldn’t you say no? :hmmm:
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You most certainly shouldn’t stay quiet IMO.

You basically went to a strangers house, why wouldn’t you say no? :hmmm:

Bc at this point I'd been having lessons with him for like half a year. And it was before I split up with my bf so he wasn't being overly creepy. He was really strange like one minute he'd be all professional and then talking about his grandkids and stuff, and then the next he'd be being really inappropriate. Like you didn't know what you were gonna get I guess
you need to report him, don't listen to your parents, staying quiet does nothing. Report him so other students don't have to drive with him, what a weirdo he is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending