The Student Room Group

but will i get into uni tho????? tessglasgows blog lol

hiya im tess n welcome to my crib
not really its just a wee blog on this forum that will most likely just scrolled past lol
but heeeeyyyaaa heres a wee get to know me bit cuz its just a good thing to start off with init

so i am scottish so i dont do gcse's or a levels, instead i have done my national 5's and highers and this year i am working towards some advanced highers.

For my nat 5's i got :
english: A
maths: A
modern studies: A
french: A
Biology: A
spanish: B (rlly annoyed about this tho cuz i was 1 mark under n the a grade was raised by 1 mark)

and in my highers i did the same subjects but spanish and achieved A's in all of them.

This year i am doing
AH English
AH modern studies
H politics
H psychology

and i am applying for law at glasgow, edinburgh, aberdeen, strathclyde and dundee.
i am yet to take my LNAT, not going to lie to you i will most likely be doing this very last minute as i need all the time in the world to have any chance at it.
this year i am really struggling with english as im really not a fan of reading fictional novels and i am really bad at folio so i dont really expect to do well and i am considering dropping it. however, in the other 3 i hope to get A's in them so hopefully i will get my head action and achieve these results.

thats all for today, i might do a post based off of what i am writing in my personal statement work experience wise but thats just what you have to look forward to for all 0 of you reading this right now

taa
T x

(oh yeah edit but i realllyy hate capital letters so i never use them online soz for that lol)
Original post by tessglasgow
hiya im tess n welcome to my crib
not really its just a wee blog on this forum that will most likely just scrolled past lol
but heeeeyyyaaa heres a wee get to know me bit cuz its just a good thing to start off with init

so i am scottish so i dont do gcse's or a levels, instead i have done my national 5's and highers and this year i am working towards some advanced highers.

For my nat 5's i got :
english: A
maths: A
modern studies: A
french: A
Biology: A
spanish: B (rlly annoyed about this tho cuz i was 1 mark under n the a grade was raised by 1 mark)

and in my highers i did the same subjects but spanish and achieved A's in all of them.

This year i am doing
AH English
AH modern studies
H politics
H psychology

and i am applying for law at glasgow, edinburgh, aberdeen, strathclyde and dundee.
i am yet to take my LNAT, not going to lie to you i will most likely be doing this very last minute as i need all the time in the world to have any chance at it.
this year i am really struggling with english as im really not a fan of reading fictional novels and i am really bad at folio so i dont really expect to do well and i am considering dropping it. however, in the other 3 i hope to get A's in them so hopefully i will get my head action and achieve these results.

thats all for today, i might do a post based off of what i am writing in my personal statement work experience wise but thats just what you have to look forward to for all 0 of you reading this right now

taa
T x

(oh yeah edit but i realllyy hate capital letters so i never use them online soz for that lol)

Oooooh good luck! Glasgow uni is beaut and I loved Edinburgh when I went to visit last year - which uni would you most like to go to?
Original post by Fox Corner
Oooooh good luck! Glasgow uni is beaut and I loved Edinburgh when I went to visit last year - which uni would you most like to go to?

My number one is Glasgow just because i live in Edinburgh right now so i would prefer to move away
Right hi hello second post to here wow i am really on it with the posts go me

so uni applications are scary and im currently attempting to write my personal statement. I feel so grateful that law doesnt have early application as i would be soo screwed if that was the case.

i thought i would make a post based on my extra curriculars and skills for two reasons:
1. i thought it could potentially help anyone who is reading this (again like last time all 0 of you)
2. it will help me in writing out my personal statement having everything wrote down somewhere.

soooooooooooo here we go i guess

my extra curriculars are:
Violin (i got grade 6 merit and am working on my grade 8)
Edinburgh Secondary Schools Orchestra
National Youth Choir of Scotland (with this group i have preformed on TV and radio, and at international festivals)
Piano (working on grade 4 but i will not be mentioning this on my personal statement)
Girl guiding senior section (achieved my chief guide award and working towards my queens guide award)
DofE Bronze and working towards my gold
Volunteering at a charity shop
Volunteering in a first year social subjects class
Edinburgh Gang show
School Orchestra (with this group i preformed at the menin gate last post ceremony)
Mentor in Violence Protection

i will only be mentioning a coupe of these as there is not enough space to talk about all of them at all, never mind with any depth that will be required in your personal statement

I have also done work experience and competitions which i will list now

Work Experience at the Scottish Government
Work Experience at Brodies Law firm
Edinburgh Schools mini trials for two years (was a lawyer for both years and won both of my cases)

sooo yeah thats it, these are the main things i will be talking about in my personal statement. I have restricted all of extra curriculars to only one parragraph whohc is currently longer than i would like it to be but i can always make cuts. and dont worry, i know the importance of not just stating that you have done this much, i have spoke about what i have leared from them and what skils i have from these activities and how they relate to law.

thaaanks for reading this far for all 0 of you reading xxxx
Tx
(edited 6 years ago)
Hiya Again!!

I thought I would attatch a photo of my poster so far for my psychology october break homework.

IMG_1714 2.jpg

I havent had any time this week to do any homework as ive had work experience then i spent the weekend at aberdeen for their open day.
Ive now had a change of heart on what im applying to study. Its still law, but with a few adaptions to the first two:

Glasgow: Law with french legal studies
Aberdeen: Law with English law and european legal studies (hopefully spend the year in Norway or Finland)

Welll anyway, its a short post today as i have a looot to do
tess ur a babe and you'll get into Glasgow no problem ily dude
Original post by jessiesteven
tess ur a babe and you'll get into Glasgow no problem ily dude

jess i love you so much man
So I dropped Advanced higher English.

I really had to do this for the best for my uni applications. I was really not confident in my english skills and I was extremely doubtful that I would even pass this subject. I dropped it, primarily, because i didnt want the risk of it being one of my conditions on any potential conditional offers I could recieve from university (i should *tounchwood* get minimum 3 unconditionals but with Glasgow uni i have to sit an LNAT and i also doubt thats going to go well at all), and so i didnt want to work so hard on english just to fail anyway, and result in it eating into my time with my other subjects.
I dont think that only taking 1 advanced higher should affect me too much for uni applications since I did get 5 A's last year. I have also been told that AH modern strudies really does prepare you for law as it is a similar(ish) subject. I hope so, anyway

I feel really bad about dropping this though, I feel like im now underachieving and I should be doing 2 Advanced highers. I also heard my english teacher sounded slightly sad when he found out I had dropped his class, and i really dont want any pf my teachers to think it was because I hated the subject or because they made the class boring for me, because that really is not the case. It ws a long time comomg and i was likely to drop it at a later point anyway.
Original post by tessglasgow
Hiya Again!!

I thought I would attatch a photo of my poster so far for my psychology october break homework.

IMG_1714 2.jpg

I havent had any time this week to do any homework as ive had work experience then i spent the weekend at aberdeen for their open day.
Ive now had a change of heart on what im applying to study. Its still law, but with a few adaptions to the first two:

Glasgow: Law with french legal studies
Aberdeen: Law with English law and european legal studies (hopefully spend the year in Norway or Finland)

Welll anyway, its a short post today as i have a looot to do

Good Luck! So good to have another Scottish GYG blog to look at :smile:
These notes are so pretty too, wish my notes looked like these man x
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Good Luck! So good to have another Scottish GYG blog to look at :smile:
These notes are so pretty too, wish my notes looked like these man x

thank you so much! i agree its so difficult to find any scottish people on here, if u have a blog i will be sure to check it out!
So its another week so another blog post!
I thought i would post on here what music i listen to while studying, as well as how i focus because i am so easily bored and distracted by things.

m u s i c
So for me, Classial music really is the way to go for studying with.
Personally, I love listening to film sound tracks, my favourite by far is the Harry Potter sound track, but the Dunkirk sound track is a recent addition to my faves.

m o t i v a t i o n
The best way i get motivated to do work and actually focus on this work is through watching study youtubers, using apps like Studying amino, the studygram community and by scrolling through TSR and seeing everyone elses amazing results. I really am motivated by my peers success as well, i think a large reason as to why i got 5A's last year was because in my nat5's i got the joint worst result in my friend group despite only getting 1B.
(edited 6 years ago)
H e l l o !!!
Sorry I havent updated in a while, i have a ridiculously busy schedule right now so just dont have the time.
But yeah, heres the update, its just going to be a quick one as nothing much has happened.

p a r e n t s e v e n i n g
So I had my schools parent evening recently. I had a really good report and found out I got 22/30 in my first advanced higher modern studies essay (which im really proud of) and 11/12 in my politics essay. I only had one teacher to see this year as only 2 of my subjects are taken in school and they have the same teacher, and she is so lovely!

u n i a p p l i c a t i o n
i have finished my first draft my personal statement and now i am working on editing it. I have been given a number of tips so i might as well just list them here

Never list things. They would much prefer you to write in depth about a couple of relevant things rather than list loads of irrelevant things.

Wouldnt advice you to use quotes unless you have a great appreciation for the person quoted or you are going to use it ( NEVER use the Nelson Mandela one everyone uses)

While cliques are normally a bad thing, successful applicants are all in common in some way (not sure if i 100% agree with this one but its what a workshop told me)

be strict with yourself when editing as you are not offering a place for yourself, its someone else's job so you need to make sure everything makes sense for anyone to read.

basic one but NO SPELLING OR GRAMMAR MISTAKES !!!

s u b j e c t s
Not much has happened subject wise, none of them are too difficulty right now and they all are reasonably challenging. I have decided the topic on my dissertation and have almost finished chapter one (topic is "Only a serious crime should warrant a prison sentence":wink:, and I have now chosen what my politics assignment will be on (Should the UK ELectoral system be changed from FPTP to PR?).

thats about it now, not much happening education wise however loads happening out of school!

t e s s x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending