The Student Room Group

Are the Admissions Statistics on Wikipedia reliable?

Hi there all, I am currently looking up universities to apply for and I am a bit confused by the data on Wikipedia.

For some of the really high ranked unis I am looking at, it says Exeter gives offers to 91% of applicants.. this doesn't really make sense to me. However Google says that Warwick has an acceptance rate of 14% but Wikipedia has the figure at 84%??

It'd be really assuring if they had such high acceptance rates, but I'm not sure who to believe and I want to ensure that I can apply for universities where I have a realistic chance of an offer.

So it would be really helpful if someone clarified the admission statistics for me :smile:
I found that the statistics can be really confusing to find, however ucas does have some good statistics on their website. If you let me know what you’re looking at for uni I may be able to help find some statistics
Reply 2
Original post by JessicaPace1
I found that the statistics can be really confusing to find, however ucas does have some good statistics on their website. If you let me know what you’re looking at for uni I may be able to help find some statistics

I am looking to apply for Economics / History at LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, Exeter and Durham :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by johnnyb12
I am looking to apply for Economics / History at LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, Exeter and Durham :smile:

Ucas say that you may email [email protected] if you have any questions about applications and data sets for applications, so I may suggest that you email them and they may be able to help you further
Reply 4
Original post by JessicaPace1
Ucas say that you may email [email protected] if you have any questions about applications and data sets for applications, so I may suggest that you email them and they may be able to help you further

thanks!
Hello,
Offer rate and acceptance rate are completely different. Offer rate is the % of people given offers at each university, while acceptance rate is the % of people who are given offers who then firm or insurance that university on UCAS and then who get the grades to get in. So offer rate will generally be much higher. E.g. 84% of people get an offer from Warwick but only 14% choose it as one of there 2 slots and then get in and attend there.
Original post by johnnyb12

Look on Which? university for offer rates for the specific courses you're interested in.

Universities often talk about applications / place because that sounds more competitive - when in reality they offer to most applicants because they know that only a small proportion will firm those offers and then meet the conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending