The Student Room Group

I feel disgusting

I have never been allergic to anything in my life and only during the start of half-term I was having an allergic reaction. Went to the doctors and she said I have hives and now I just feel disgusting because they won't go away. She has prescribed me pills but I don't want to take them because I was on antibiotics for 3 months and I am 16 and body can't handle too much medication in a short period of time, especially when I stopped taking the antibiotics 3 weeks ago.

@pjm600
(edited 6 years ago)
I think you should go back to your doctor. Ask if they can help your body recuperate whilst being on another course of antibiotics. They'll be able to recommend what to do next if you have any concerns or questions.
Original post by Beththebunny
I think you should go back to your doctor. Ask if they can help your body recuperate whilst being on another course of antibiotics. They'll be able to recommend what to do next if you have any concerns or questions.

I have stopped taking the antibiotics 3 weeks ago because the doctor said I don't need them anymore.
Original post by TheAlchemistress
I have stopped taking the antibiotics 3 weeks ago because the doctor said I don't need them anymore.

And they haven't gone away?!
And they haven't gone away?!

I was taking antibiotics for 3 months because I have acne after those 3 months my acne went away. So I stopped taking the antibiotics for my acne 3 weeks ago. Now 2 weeks ago I got hives.
As someone with chronic eczema and skin allergies, I can see how it can be unpleasant and uncomfortable. But I don’t think that having an allergy is something to be ashamed of, since it’s extremely common and a natural response to things in the environment that are meant to be an irritant to humans. And there as so many irritants on the world that I would be surprised if you didn’t react to at least one, so I hardly think that your body’s immune response is “disgusting”
As for the medicine, I am also 16 and I take antihistamines daily for my skin issues. I’ve also been prescribed antibiotics at the same time before. From what many doctors have told me, and from what I already know, you’re body can handle it. One you have finished the course of antibiotics, you are fine. Still, I would hardly be worried about taking two at one, as long as the doctor says that they don’t affect each other, as most prescriptions don’t since they are used to treat different things. Being a frequent allergy patient and a person going into biomedical science, I can say that taking th prescriptions is unlikely to have a negative effect.
From someone who knows all too well, neither of us are as fragile or disgusting as you may think, but it’s best to consult your doctor for your concerns
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Troker101
As someone with chronic eczema and skin allergies, I can see how it can be unpleasant and uncomfortable. But I don’t think that having an allergy is something to be ashamed of, since it’s extremely common and a natural response to things in the environment that are meant to be an irritant to humans. And there as so many irritants on the world that I would be surprised if you didn’t react to at least one, so I hardly think that your body’s immune response is “disgusting”
As for the medicine, I am also 16 and I take antihistamines daily for my skin issues. I’ve also been prescribed antibiotics at the same time before. From what many doctors have told me, and from what I already know, you’re body can handle it. One you have finished the course of antibiotics, you are fine. Still, I would hardly be worried about taking two at one, as long as the doctor says that they don’t affect each other, as most prescriptions don’t since they are used to treat different things. Being a frequent allergy patient and a person going into biomedical science, I can say that taking th prescriptions is unlikely to have a negative effect.
From someone who knows all too well, neither of us or a fragile or disgusting as you may think, but it’s best to consult your doctor for your concerns

I called myself disgusting no-one else, I would never do that.
To add to what the above has said, seeing as antibiotics get rid of any bad bacteria AND good bacteria that is in your system, I suggest eating pro-biotic yoghurt. This restores any good bacteria that has been removed. If you're in the UK, Activia is a good yoghurt to try. Very tasty! 😊 As for the antibiotic thing, maybe it wouldn't be that bad to stay on the antibiotics for a long period of time. Obviously, if you do feel different or like you're not functioning properly (as if your body can't take it), go straight back to your doctor. Medicine has developed to much, there must be something you can do to help your situation. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I tried! 😊😊 Hope you feel a bit more comfortable soon 😊
I called myself disgusting no-one else, I would never do that.

Yes I’m not saying you did. I’m try to say that I am in a very similar boat as you, and if I don’t think I’m disgusting for some pretty good reasons, then you shouldn’t either.
Yes I’m not saying you did. I’m try to say that I am in a very similar boat as you, and if I don’t think I’m disgusting for some pretty good reasons, then you shouldn’t either.

Thanks.
im not a doctor but im sure your body can handle it, theyre supposed to help you- i was taking 4 pills a day when i had folliculitis

Original post by faloodeh
im not a doctor but im sure your body can handle it, theyre supposed to help you- i was taking 4 pills a day when i had folliculitis

To add to what the above has said, seeing as antibiotics get rid of any bad bacteria AND good bacteria that is in your system, I suggest eating pro-biotic yoghurt. This restores any good bacteria that has been removed. If you're in the UK, Activia is a good yoghurt to try. Very tasty! 😊 As for the antibiotic thing, maybe it wouldn't be that bad to stay on the antibiotics for a long period of time. Obviously, if you do feel different or like you're not functioning properly (as if your body can't take it), go straight back to your doctor. Medicine has developed to much, there must be something you can do to help your situation. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I tried! 😊😊 Hope you feel a bit more comfortable soon 😊

It's just that I am a very you know OCD girl who gets paranoid quickly and overthinks so it's just hard; because I am definitely not used to this.
It's just that I am a very you know OCD girl who gets paranoid quickly and overthinks so it's just hard; because I am definitely not used to this.

That’s understandable, doctors and medicines are never 100% perfect. But at the same time I hope you that you do take into account the advice of those who are used to it, including the trained professional who is recommending it in order to help you. Physiologically, I am pretty sure that you can handle it and there is usually no problem with taking a prescription with or after another unless directly specified, so, as far as I know, there is no need to be worried taking it after the antibiotics (assuming you follow the instructions). They are designed to help you not to harm you, but again, it’s your decision. Do what you feel like you should, but either way, you are not disgusting for this.
That’s understandable, doctors and medicines are never 100% perfect. But at the same time I hope you that you do take into account the advice of those who are used to it, including the trained professional who is recommending it in order to help you. Physiologically, I am pretty sure that you can handle it and there is usually no problem with taking a prescription with or after another unless directly specified, so, as far as I know, there is no need to be worried taking it after the antibiotics (assuming you follow the instructions). They are designed to help you not to harm you, but again, it’s your decision. Do what you feel like you should, but either way, you are not disgusting for this.

I just don't want these hives in my system....
I just don't want these hives in my system....

Then I would recommend the prescription. I would be an red, itchy mess without mine. The hives are the response to the irritant in your system. The prescription is designed to help so that the irritant has no effect. We all have irritants in our system, many of which our body can control. But if you don’t want to experience the negative reaction of hives, I would personally recommend trying the medicine, or at least consulting your doctor about your concerns.
(edited 6 years ago)

Ugh, GURRL, I feel ya! I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder and health anxiety this year and since having gastroenteritis (throwing up bug) very early this year, I've been so paranoid about what to eat, what to touch and not touch. Ive been washing my hands every 5 seconds! I've been on tablets to stop me from feeling sick ever since. I was put on Ranitidine to stop it, then ranitidine and peppermint oil, then I stopped ranitidine, went back on it, swapped it for omeprazole whilst still on peppermint oil, had to stop omeprazole for a test now I'm back on omeprazole. All whilst having to take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen for a 3 month migraine. If my body can deal with those changes, I'm sure your body would be fine on the antibiotics. However, not every body is the same. But just think, if something did go wrong, doctors are amazing these days! My body had been throwing up the bug, I've lost god know how many pounds because of it, been put on all this medication... And guess what... I'm still here to tell the tale (not tempting fate though). I still have good days and bad days and days where I feel like punching someone in the face because of the pain or nausea I'm feeling, but I'm ok. Not amazing, not horrible, but I'm ok. Hope that helps put you at ease. 😊😊
Ugh, GURRL, I feel ya! I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder and health anxiety this year and since having gastroenteritis (throwing up bug) very early this year, I've been so paranoid about what to eat, what to touch and not touch. Ive been washing my hands every 5 seconds! I've been on tablets to stop me from feeling sick ever since. I was put on Ranitidine to stop it, then ranitidine and peppermint oil, then I stopped ranitidine, went back on it, swapped it for omeprazole whilst still on peppermint oil, had to stop omeprazole for a test now I'm back on omeprazole. All whilst having to take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen for a 3 month migraine. If my body can deal with those changes, I'm sure your body would be fine on the antibiotics. However, not every body is the same. But just think, if something did go wrong, doctors are amazing these days! My body had been throwing up the bug, I've lost god know how many pounds because of it, been put on all this medication... And guess what... I'm still here to tell the tale (not tempting fate though). I still have good days and bad days and days where I feel like punching someone in the face because of the pain or nausea I'm feeling, but I'm ok. Not amazing, not horrible, but I'm ok. Hope that helps put you at ease. 😊😊

At least we can relate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending