The Student Room Group

Do braces hurt??

Scroll to see replies

Only when they get twanged.

it doesnt hurt when they fix them in, it just hurts after because they get weak, even when you touch them slightly it hurts, after like 3 days you can virtually eat anything and the pain disappears.
When i got my braces they hurt for a few days and after a month they felt super normal ,but when i go to get them tightened or changed they donot hurt that much as i am used to the pain.It also depends how badly disorientated your teeth are.
Original post by rabs143
Awww that's so rough, they must be worth it ☺️🙊

Yeah at the time it wasn't the best experience but there were positives such as being able to have time off school for orthodontist appointments and my teeth actually became whiter because I had a friend who had braces who didn't clean her teeth properly so her front tooth was brown, that scared me so much that I brushed my teeth 3 times a day while I had braces and they are still pretty white now.
I was actually supposed to be wearing the invisalin i.e. these http://saledentalspa.co.uk/the-importance-of-retention-and-retainers/
for the remainder of my life to keep the teeth in place but firstly as a defiant teenager I was like, nope thats way too extreme and also they broke anyway. I still have the remains in a draw gathering dust at my parents house.
Reply 24
Original post by uberteknik
Only when they get twanged.

Ahaaaa ouch 😂😂
They're fine. It hurts a lot for the first few hours, and a bit for the next few days, but 95% of the time you wont even notice that they're there.
Reply 26
Original post by lavender_rose
Yeah at the time it wasn't the best experience but there were positives such as being able to have time off school for orthodontist appointments and my teeth actually became whiter because I had a friend who had braces who didn't clean her teeth properly so her front tooth was brown, that scared me so much that I brushed my teeth 3 times a day while I had braces and they are still pretty white now.
I was actually supposed to be wearing the invisalin i.e. these http://saledentalspa.co.uk/the-importance-of-retention-and-retainers/
for the remainder of my life to keep the teeth in place but firstly as a defiant teenager I was like, nope thats way too extreme and also they broke anyway. I still have the remains in a draw gathering dust at my parents house.

Wowww id definitely love to have days off 😂😂🙉☺️
Mine ached quite a lot. I just ate soft foods like soup and bread for my meals for about 3 days, but then they are normal.
Reply 28
Original post by DrawTheLine
Mine ached quite a lot. I just ate soft foods like soup and bread for my meals for about 3 days, but then they are normal.

Omggg that's the part I'm really gonna hate cus I love my fooood ugh 😫😫😂
Original post by rabs143
Omggg that's the part I'm really gonna hate cus I love my fooood ugh 😫😫😂

It's literally only a couple of days every few weeks. You'll be fine. Don't make it worse for yourself than it actually is.
Reply 30
Original post by SGHD26716
They do for the first three ish days after you get them. I couldn’t really eat anything which you really had to bite into e.g. pizza. The pain was too much.

It gets better though.

I had my braces in last month.. It lasts longer than 3 days TRUST ME. Getting used to them in your mouth is the hard part, and then having to clean them after every meal cus loads get stuck in your mouth
Original post by Emerald777O
They hurt sooooooo much when it's tightened . It's like periods but happening in your mouth.

I agree with this :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by Nuttyy
I had my braces in last month.. It lasts longer than 3 days TRUST ME. Getting used to them in your mouth is the hard part, and then having to clean them after every meal cus loads get stuck in your mouth

I had braces as well. I was just describing my experience.
Original post by rabs143
Asking cus I need braces but I'm scared it's gonna hurt 😭😂🙉

Honestly, when I had braces it didn't hurt at all. The only thing merely uncomfortable was the process in which they brush your teeth really hard to clean them.

What's also annoying is when they rub against your gums, but otherwise than that. It was fine for me, I didn't feel any pain specifically. I had mine for a year and half by the way.
Original post by rabs143
Wowww id definitely love to have days off 😂😂🙉☺️

It was never the whole day unfortunately on either the morning or afternoon, wishful thinking though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending