The Student Room Group

What would you class as chubby?

I’m just curious to know as I’ve seen quite a large variety of responses on other threads. I’m 5’1 and 152lbs (and currently trying to shift it 🤧) I’m definitely chubby because of my height to weight ratio (but since I’m a pear shape most goes to my hips and thighs) but would others find this chubby? And where is the line between chubby and fat for you?
it depends on the height, i guess? fat is subjective
Reply 2
I think chubby would be anything within (and to the right of) the yellow area. :/

Original post by Froppy
I think chubby would be anything within (and to the right of) the yellow area. :/

I'm in the yellow (fairly far right too), and tall (5'9" female). I personally think I look really fat, but someone else has told me my figure is great. To me, chubby is the yellow but it depends on how it's proportioned- a lot on the face, all of the arms and all of the legs looks chubby. My weight is mostly carried by my boobs (36F) and stomach, with thighs as an issue. But my shoulders are broaf so it eases the blow, and my calves and forearms are great (with the latter being skinny for my size).

Regardless, people in the yellow should try to lose weight before they get to orange, but it isn't a necessity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Froppy

BMI isn’t at all accurate in terms of measuring a healthy or otherwise weight. Think of it more as a rough guide.
Original post by bookloverlolly
I'm in the yellow (fairly far right too), and tall (5'9" female). I personally think I look really fat, but someone else has told me my figure is great. To me,

I was always told not to go off of the BMI scale because it doesn’t take into consideration muscle weight compared to weight from fat so a body builder could be classed as morbidly obese.
Original post by Anonymous
I was always told not to go off of the BMI scale because it doesn’t take into consideration muscle weight compared to weight from fat so a body builder could be classed as morbidly obese.

There's always outliers, but if you use a bit of common sense it's a good tool to use.

Are you a body builder or an athlete with significant muscle mass? No? Then it's probably a good tool.
Original post by SophieSmall
There's always outliers, but if you use a bit of common sense it's a good tool to use.

Are you a body builder or an athlete with significant muscle mass? No? Then it's probably a good tool.

Most people have some degree of muscle. Just one pound of muscle could take you from being a good weight to overweight. And not everyone can tell how much muscle weight they have compared to fat. Is it a good tool? Not always
I'm in the white of the BMI chart above (5 ft 6, 104 lbs) but look normal. If my weight goes over 115 (barely in the green) it looks chubby ish on me and I do get told I could afford to lose half a stone. So for me chubby is the bottom half of the green, over a BMI of 22 is way to big on me. However that's personal, what BMI looks big on one person may look thin on another of the same BMI
Honestly the society we're in even having a bit of a tummy someone would call you fat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending