The Student Room Group

Grow Your Grades - It's Thyme, Lettuce begin

giphy.gif

Morgan's Grow Your Own Grades Blog

Helllooo! I'm Morgan, I'm 17 and I would like to start off by saying sorry not sorry for the grow/plant puns... I couldn't resist... Also, I know I'm a tad late into the Academic year but hey, it's never too late to start.

My A-levels
ICT - B (Predicted)
Sociology - B (Predicted)
Psychology - B (Predicted)
English Literature - D (Predicted)

My aim over this academic year is to continue to work to my predicted grades - I would love to bring my English up to a C, and maybe bring my ICT to an A if I really work at it.

Universities I'm applying to
Edge Hill - Conditional Offer (Firm Choice)
University of Worcester - Conditional Offer (Insurance choice)
Northumbria University - Conditional Offer
Southampton Solent University - Unconditional Offer
University of Central Lancashire - Conditional Offer

So I'll probably update this as often as I can, mainly with revision notes. Looking forward to everyone else's blogs (feel free to leave yours ^-^)!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

14th November 2017
seporater.png

Revision topic: Christina Rossetti and Duchess Of Malfi (English Lit)
Revision Plan: Re-do each Poem and Character and write key quotes to match the Themes
Video/Song of choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmyUcpA1B6I (BTS - DNA Lyric Video)
Snacks: Half a Hot chocolate and some Shortbread
Anything to add? Well as you've seen, HALF a hot chocolate... My dog - bless her heart - knocked it over and spilt it all over my previous revision, so I'm having to redo that... I was looking forward to that hot chocolate as well. Oh well, accidents happen. I have NO homework which is a blessing, so after re-doing the revision I'm probably going to be chilling in bed watching Youtube and talking to people. Hope you're all having a great evening!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello! First off I'm very much here for the puns! Already loving your structure of this blog, not like any others I've seen. I'm also doing English literature, which modules are you currently studying?? Feel free to check out my gyg and I'll definitely be following this thread!
Reply 3
I'm loving your blog already :love: that title is just genius! I'm definitely going to keep following, I love that snacks section :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by ellopooch
Hello! First off I'm very much here for the puns! Already loving your structure of this blog, not like any others I've seen. I'm also doing English literature, which modules are you currently studying?? Feel free to check out my gyg and I'll definitely be following this thread!

I'm a sucker for puns :h: We're currently doing Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte and Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austin (Comparative Study) with one teacher, and A long long way - Sebastian Barry (Literature Post-1900 Critical Appreciation coursework) along with some Unseen Extracts. We didn't do the AS, so last year we did Hamlet (section 1) and Christina Rossetti and Duchess of Malfi (section 2) (Drama and Pre-1900 property). How are you finding it? And ill be sure to check it out!
Original post by Amefish
I'm loving your blog already :love: that title is just genius! I'm definitely going to keep following, I love that snacks section :tongue:

Aww thank you! :h:

Edit: Don't know why the Lil plants are there... they're not showing up in attachments soo... I don't know..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5

15th November 2017
seporater.png

Revision topic: Schizophrenia (Psychology)
Revision Plan: Re-cap everything in preparation for tomorrows End of topic Test (Hoping to achieve a C? Possible a B?)
Video/Song of choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V82qSnN9eFE&list=PLRQGRBgN_EnqbmAguVJGpJuGx9NwP8ihN (Currently re-watching the entirety of Game Grumps - Breath of The Wild playthrough)
Snacks: Glass of coke and some shortbread (can you tell I love shortbread)
Anything to add? Hello Everyone! So this post is going to be about the 'ugly' side of being me, but I feel like as a blog, I do need to be open. So I have depression (currently on Citalopram) so keeping up my grades is a daily struggle (like most students to be honest). Without going into to much detail, today hasn't been the best. However, I've been trying to get motivated to do my revision because of the test tomorrow. Just "Getting on with it" sometimes doesn't work - for me anyway. So I've set my revision time for the whole night. I've been "revising" since half 5, Doing little bits as I go, so I'm still revising, but not to the intense amount I'm used to/I usually do.
To end things on a more lighter note, I've started working on my app. This will probably be a side project to do on weekends and holidays, but I'll be working on a student app. It will be a task-based levelling app, where it should help students like myself organise their life a bit better, whilst implementing a gaming type reward system. It'll make more sense as development goes on. Speaking of development, I completely forgot to add what my aspiration is, career-wise. I want to become a web developer and either join a major company (my dream would be Sony) or a charity/university.
I guess this is all I have to say tonight. I have some intense revision to get through the next couple of days, so I'll probably update soon. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
wow, we aren't covering any of those texts. Are you finding them interesting? i'm finding our texts pretty mixed and some very challeging. We studied 'a streetcar named desire' which i loved but poetry is much trickier i find. overall its interesting though, definitely a lot of work!
Reply 7
Original post by ellopooch
wow, we aren't covering any of those texts. Are you finding them interesting? i'm finding our texts pretty mixed and some very challeging. We studied 'a streetcar named desire' which i loved but poetry is much trickier i find. overall its interesting though, definitely a lot of work!

They're alright! Christina Rossetti's poetry is a bit annoying (she's so contradicting it's unreal) and hamlets... Well hamlet, it's the actors that make it good so lucky we can reference the Benedict Cumberbatch version. We're doing Wilfred Owen poetry for coursework and his stuff is good considering I find war literature facinating. A long long way is the same. And duchess of malfi (which I thought was duchess of malfoy and I thought it was Draco malfoy parading round in a dress shouting 'POTTER' ) is actually good. They're all 'easy' just drags on. I struggle the most with unseen extracts to be honest. I like to be prepared and it's hard to be prepared for an UNSEEN text :h:
And it's a lot of work and it's my 'worst' subject in terms of grades, but I refuse to just quit
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8

18th November 2017

seporater.png

Revision Topic: Duchess of Malfi
Revision Plan: Getting key quotes for characters for themes
Video/Song of Choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyS-74sRTE (Joe Rogan Experience #835 - Louis Theroux )
Snacks: Shortbread... again
Anything to add? Hello! So it's been a couple days, it's been wild because of my end of topic test, and getting ready for mocks next week. But I'm back baby!! I'm currently on a 'Louis Theroux' kick... again. He's my favourite documentarist/journalist - just an awkward British guy whose... so intelligent about the world and his documentaries are really interesting, if you're into - most of the time - taboo topics, I strongly urge you to watch his stuff, he's great. I'm starting to just put the link instead of the video because it seemed a bit 'Bulky' and I want my blog to have a bit more flow and subtleness to it (she says whilst having a damn cactus line at the beginning of each post).
Today I want to talk about Preparedness for Revision. So many people I know (myself included) leave revision so close to real exams then find themselves going crazy realising they're running out of time and have nothing to really revise from. So this year, I'm making an effort to prepare all my revision material so I don't drive myself to a breakdown next year. And I encourage you all to do it. Even if you e.g. make a booklet for Biology, and you do a page a day or something like that. You don't even have to do it at home, I do most my work in my free's at sixth form, or at my boyfriend's if I'm struggling to do it at home (I'm also partial to rocking up to Costa, grabbing a tea or black forest hot chocolate and doing it there - It's the best thing in the world). So if you get a spare hour, do it in an environment that will get you to do work. I see motivation as a craft, a skill you learn to have. My skill in terms of level would be about a 1, and I aim to get it to a 4 at least for University. From what I've heard, University is very "You do you" in terms of the lecturers will put in the effort to those who put give the effort back to them (This is all from family/friends so don't quote me). I struggle with motivation, and if I'm not in the mood to do something, chances are it's not getting done.
I'll wrap this up for tonight so I don't waffle on too much. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
well its super awesome to see you persist with it! i know the struggle to keep motivated but you sound like you're doing great :smile:
Reply 10

23rd November 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topic: English
Revision Plan: Finish off a Duchess of Malfi/Rossetti essay then Hamlet key quotes/scenes
Video/song of Choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8QFWGZ5UM (The best of Game Grumps - Sonic Boom)
Snacks: Apple and Blackcurrant Squash
Anything to add? Heelloo how are we all? So I've been a bit busy lately... napping. I had to take a break from revision because my attention was just not up to it. UCAS has been bumming me out, I've been waiting over 2 weeks for my referee to press the button, apparently my applications good to go, but it's just my Tutors reference that needs to be checked... which I got told Monday, so it should be done right now. Everyones getting offers, and I'm still waiting for it to be sent off and it's getting my nerves on edge... And there's nothing I can do. So yeah, it's been a stressful week, so I don't have much to write. I'm at a party tomorrow so I'll be recovering over the weekend. Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
Reply 11

25th November 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topic: Duchess of Malfi/ Rossetti, unseen extract
Revision Plan: revise some literary criticisms then write an unseen extract essay
Video/song of choice: https://youtu.be/kTlv5_Bs8aw (obviously the new, Mic Drop - BTS (Steve Aoki remix) it's bomb AF go give it a listen)
Snacks: Some squash
Anything to add? Hello! So... Update... MY UCAS HAS BEEN SENT OFF!! Finally! I'm so happy it's finally out there for my universities to see, I have one conditional offer so far which is for Northumbria and ugh I'm just so happy that it's finally off!! So that's fun. Lately I'm just revising like mad to keep on top of things, but I'm hoping it's going to pay off. I'm not very well (I have a poorly ear that isn't very fun...) But I'm powering through. Sorry for the short update, but I felt the need to quickly post about the UCAS situation! Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
Reply 12

28th November 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topic: N/A
Revision Plan: N/A
Video/song of choice: https://youtu.be/BQ0mxQXmLsk (Havana - Camila Cabello, cus it's a bop)
Snacks: N/A
Anything to add? Quick update guys... I HAVE ALL MY OFFERS BACK. Although I need to think about some things. As you can see at the top of this thread, I have an unconditional... But that unconditional is for a university that wasn't my top two, and the unconditional only applies if it's your firm choice... And that University isn't my top choice. I know I shouldn't be complaining, I've been given an unconditional, some people would kill for it, but do I put the unconditional as my first then the pressure for uni can subside and say bye bye to Edge Hill (which is my top university that I fell in love with when I went), or 'throw away' that unconditional and trust myself to get the grades and just keep it at Edge hill Firm and Worcester Second... I'm going to go check out Solent to see if I like it more than Edge hill, but idk, edge hill is such a beautiful university, and I reeeeally want to go there... So yeah, 'first world problem' is a big mood right now. But I'm so happy I have offers back and universities actually want me! All the stress of school and self doubt has been worth it. But I now have a big decision to make... I'll keep you guys updated! Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
liking the blog so far, gotta love the cheesy puns :lol:. Good luck hun x
Reply 14

1st December 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topic: Sociology, crime and deviance
Revision Plan: Create cards for theorist and theories
Video/song of choice: https://youtu.be/lkN5M-nJx6A
Snacks: Mars bar fun sized and Rockstar energy
Anything to add? First of all... :holly:ITS CHRISTMAS:holly:(or holidays if you don't celebrate). Okay, maybe it's only December 1st, but Christmas is all through December in my mind. I loooove christmas and winter. Second of all... I've made my choice!!! I've decided to go with Edge Hill and go with my heart. Id rather go somewhere I know I'll love and worked hard for it, than go somewhere with no effort and not enjoy it as much. I got asked a question: if Solent was conditional, would I even bother checking it out... And I said no (btw Solent is a great university, I just prefer Edge Hill). So my firm choice is Edge Hill and insurance is Worcester!! I'm so excited and just want to do my exams and do them well, and get in and be happy! Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
Reply 15

8th December 2017

seporater.png

Revision Topic: IT, Coursework
Revision Plan: Finish off some more pages of the website
Video/Song of Choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKUYVu2qZuk (Buzzfeed Unsolved - Viaduct Tavern)
Snacks: Doritos and Lucozade!
Anything to add? Sorry it's been a while, been busy with Christmas things and general school work. I have a hamlet mock next week so... aaah. Over the weekend I'm going to be planning a bunch of essays to try and do well. Also, my English teacher STILL hasn't given us our coursework back which she's had since September so I'm not very happy as the other classes have completely finished there English critical appreciation for coursework. Sociology is done for this year (2017) with 30 Markers, which will be the death of me, I prefer 20 markers... or 10... We have a last Unit to do I think and we're done with the course. And in psychology, we're on our last few booklets and we're due to finish in February, Yay!
In happier news, IT SNOWED TODAY. It was only for like an hour, and it's pretty much stopped now, but it was nice whilst it lasted. Have any of you had snow? I loooove snow. It's pretty and cold and nice. It's very rare to get any snow at all in my town, so this little burst was amazing! Hope you all have a great evening/day/night!
Reply 16

13th December 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topic: IT, Coursework
Revision Plan: Moooore website stuff
Video/song of choice: (I'll add it when I get home because I'm at school at the moment)
Snacks: Some water
Anything to add? Hello! Sorry I've been really bad with keeping up with this whole blog, I've been getting really stressed out lately. I've been worrying over not feeling good enough in classes. A lot of people - especially on here- are at a really high grade, most being A/A* grades, and I feel happy for them, but then again, kind of jealous because I'm just average with my range of B-D. I don't know, it's like a feeling of inadequacy compared to others but I know if someone said to me "hey I'm predicted CCD and that's what I need" I'd be over the moon. So I've been a bit down due to that.
But I'm back! I'm going to schedule myself to update this blog every other day to try and keep me motivated. I need to learn to get out of this head space and as much as it sucks, the only way is to just get on with it. So yeah, Sorry for being a damper today (I match the weather - it's been raining all day). Here's to trying to keep this positive attitude. Also I'm starting on own personal website tonight so that going to be fun. I'll update you soon. Hope you all have a good evening/day/night!
Reply 17

15th December 2017
seporater.png

Revision Topics: Sociology - Family Units
Revision Plan: Mind Maps of the first few booklets
Video/Song of Choice: I'm rewatching Shadow Hunters on Netflix so I can't link it, But if you haven't watched it and can... DO IT (I've rewatched it about 10 times)
Snacks: Lucozaaade
Anything to add? So, I'm in a pretty okay mode. I'm ready to do some sociology work. I need to revise last years topics or god knows how stressed I'll be in a couple months. I'm stressed already and I haven't even begun. University is such a big thing and I really want to prove to myself and them that I can do it. So I will work on my persepctives today and get those thoerist DOWN. I know my basics - Pasons, Durkiem, Marx and some others, but its the little ones that only say a small but but could really boost my essays, I forget easily - despite how easy they are... I know what theorist say, I just dont know which goes with which.. so thats fun.
I'm rewatching Shadow Hunters... Again... I love this show, it's actually really good once you get past Clary's whining (sorry if you like her as a character, I just find her annoying). Hope you all have a good evening/day/night!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18

21st December
Attachment not found

Revision Topics: IT Coursework
Revision Plan: Finish test plan because I forgot to do it :/
Video/song of choice:
Snacks: I'm having some waffles when I get home
Anything to add? Okay, so maybe I'm bad at this keeping on top of this blog, but I'm still here! It's finally the last day/I break up for Christmas today! I'm so happy, as I love Christmas and it's so nice (I'm very fortunate and grateful that I can enjoy Christmas). I'm introducing my boyfriend into the world of the German Market in Birmingham on Friday which is going to be fun. So I'm going to set myself some targets to do over the holidays so I don't get lazy:

Finish off the whole section of IT Coursework

Make revision notes for Unit 1 and 2 in Sociology AND prepare for 30 marker when we go back

Make revision notes for Approaches and Research methods in Psychology AND revise Approaches for end of topic test when we go back

Read sense and sensibility for English

Make a start on the code for my app

Hoping I can get this stuff done and not be preoccupied. I'm getting a switch for Christmas which I'm so excited about, Gonna get my Zelda on! Hope you allhave a good evening/day/night!
(edited 6 years ago)
what are you applying to study at university?
will definitely be following this! :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending