The Student Room Group

Why is Life so Difficult?

Maybe someone can shed light on why life is so difficult?

Between the gym, working, meditating, maintaining friendships and relationships, revision and maintaining a household...there is virtually ZERO time for recreation.

I honestly feel like "leisure time" doesn't even exist. Even things that are "fun" seem to require a TON of effort before you can even enjoy them.

Meh.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And then you die btw.
Reply 2
Original post by Dekuyper
And then you die btw.

That's the positive aspect.

Between the gym, working, meditating, maintaining friendships and relationships, revision and maintaining a household...there is virtually ZERO time for recreation.

I honestly feel like "leisure time" doesn't even exist. Even things that are "fun" seem to require a TON of effort before you can even enjoy them.

Meh.

The gym is a waste of time, use it to "recreate". Abolish social media and you'll have plenty of free time.
i feel you honey, i dunno why it's so bloody hard being expected to juggle EVERYTHING and just be fine
i dont have an answer for you, all i can say is it's tricky but theres others going through it too which might be somewhat comforting i guess ???

+ ITS CHRISTMAS SOON (idk if that helps either)
Reply 4
Because the corrupt government and bankers have made everyone poor.
Life is a test. You gotta work for everything. If it was easy and every was given to you then it would be pretty boring. Imagine being handed a big mansion. You wouldn’t have to work for it so it would be pretty boring. Saying that, you can make your life easier and more fun. You can make going to gym fun. You can make maintaining friendships and fun. You can make meditating fun.
Reply 6
gym, meditating, maintaining friendships and relationships aren't part of leisure time??????
Reply 7
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Life is a test. You gotta work for everything. If it was easy and every was given to you then it would be pretty boring. Imagine being handed a big mansion. You wouldn’t have to work for it so it would be pretty boring. Saying that, you can make your life easier and more fun. You can make going to gym fun. You can make maintaining friendships and fun. You can make meditating fun.

Clean advice mayne :smile:

This is the kind of stuff I want to see you post. Not that other irrational, delusional defeatist ********.
Whenever I think this, I try and remember that life used to be much harder. I think sometimes as young people we forget that we have a very good life compared to our ancestors, and even compared to some people in other countries today.
Many of them would've loved the opportunity to be where we are. So cherish your life - the chances of you being alive today, right now, in the grand scheme of things - are minuscule. Have a good one :smile:
Reply 9
Life is dissatisfaction.

Meh.

Because you are imposing extra arbitrary goals in life. Life's main function is to keep you, a highly complex interaction of a few octillion atoms, in proper working order. But modern society suggests that people should have friends, relationships, households, jobs and all the rest. Theoretically, you don't need any of these things to survive, but for the vast majority of people, having these things makes them happier, and that's why they pursue them.

Maybe you should think about what you really want right now. Do you need to hit the gym that often or work so many hours? Are there things in your life that you could do more efficiently to free up some time for leisure. Leisure time is important, so make sure you get some!
Original post by usualsuspects

The gym is a waste of time

It's really not. If someone doesn't go to the gym then they ought to be doing physical activity/exercise in some other way either by playing sports, walking more, doing a home exercise program or through activities like cycling/swimming. Exercise is the most important thing - along side diet - especially for some one such as the OP who seems quite down in life as it adds structure and boosts mood. Exercise is life's best medicine - most people neglect it and then get to 60 wondering why they need bypass grafts and hip replacements etc.
(edited 6 years ago)

Meh.

Well, the meditation isn't working or you wouldn't be so stressed, so I would knock that on the head. It's all about time management and prioritising.
I have 7 kids, 16 grandchildren, a grandchild who lives with me, I am nearly 70 and in my 3rd year at uni and so busy with assignments/lectures/dissertation and I do voluntary work at the local foodbank as well as writing a book. I don't go to the gym as I can't afford it, so that's not an issue, but I have hobbies/interests.
Just try and go through all the things you do and prioritise them. See if you can combine anything. Look after yourself or you will end up with burn out. X
same lol
Reply 14
Original post by gonelifting
It's really not. If someone doesn't go to the gym then they ought to be doing physical activity/exercise in some other way either by playing sports, walking more, doing a home exercise program or through activities like cycling/swimming. Exercise is the most important thing - along side diet - especially for some one such as the OP who seems quite down in life as it adds structure and boosts mood. Exercise is life's best medicine - most people neglect it and then get to 60 wondering why they need bypass grafts and hip replacements etc.

I don't think it's the most important thing in life and if OP finds it so stressful and time-consuming she can replace it with some other less intense form of activity. I haven't been exercising in any way (apart from swimming in summer) for 2 years and it's not the end of the world. It's better to do some physical activity, but a year off won't make much difference.
Original post by usualsuspects
I don't think it's the most important thing in life and if OP finds it so stressful and time-consuming she can replace it with some other less intense form of activity. I haven't been exercising in any way (apart from swimming in summer) for 2 years and it's not the end of the world. It's better to do some physical activity, but a year off won't make much difference.

Lack of exercise increases your risk of stroke, CAD, peripheral arterial disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, high BP etc. Bone density is maintained through exercise, muscle mass is maintained through exercise, cardiovascular fitness is maintained through exercise - your lung capacity and stroke volumes increase with more exercise which means more oxygen and nutrients around your body. You begin to lose muscle mass over as little as 72hrs of inactivity. You may not see any differences or think that it really affects you, but it does, and the longer you don't exercise the more you increase your risk of chronic illnesses.

This isn't an opinion - it's factual, and if you bother to educate yourself there are thousands of studies available online. I'm all for offering personal opinions to people who ask for advice but don't paint your personal opinion as fact. ''A year off won't make much difference'' - yes it will and it very much depends on the person - if you gave a long term emphysema sufferer that advice they'd likely be dead by xmas.
Reply 16
Original post by gonelifting
Lack of exercise increases your risk of stroke, CAD, peripheral arterial disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, high BP etc. Bone density is maintained through exercise, muscle mass is maintained through exercise, cardiovascular fitness is maintained through exercise - your lung capacity and stroke volumes increase with more exercise which means more oxygen and nutrients around your body. You begin to lose muscle mass over as little as 72hrs of inactivity. You may not see any differences or think that it really affects you, but it does, and the longer you don't exercise the more you increase your risk of chronic illnesses.

This isn't an opinion - it's factual, and if you bother to educate yourself there are thousands of studies available online. I'm all for offering personal opinions to people who ask for advice but don't paint your personal opinion as fact. ''A year off won't make much difference'' - yes it will and it very much depends on the person - if you gave a long term emphysema sufferer that advice they'd likely be dead by xmas.

You seem obsessed.
I suppose "losing muscle" is the worst thing that could happen to you?

Accept that some people don't devote their existence to their body.
Reply 17
Life is what you make it.

Meh.

I would consider those highlighted things to be recreation, depending on how you look at it. I consider that if I have time to do those things in my life that my life is going well. Maybe you could reconsider the meditating and gym for something you better enjoy, or maybe consider making changes in other areas of your life? It's always worth trying to keep motivated to improve the situation for yourself even though it's hard when you're feeling low :h:
Life itself is not difficult,it is us who make it difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest