The Student Room Group

manu's stressful journey through gcses

1520623914426.jpg

hello! my name's manu and i'm currently doing my gcses this year. i'm sixteen years old, and have no family that speak english as their first language- my mom's indonesian and my dad's french so that's pretty cool.

what i'm doing for my gcses and target grades:
maths [aqa] 8- | 7/8
english [aqa] 8- | 8 (at least a 7)
religious education [edexcel] 8- | 6/7
geography [wjec] 8- | 7
chemistry [ocr] 8- | 7
biology [ocr] 8- | 7/8
physics [ocr] 8- | 6
french [aqa] 8- | 6/7
computer science [ocr] 8- | 5
business studies [edexcel] A*- | B/A

targets set by the school are in bold, my personal ones are in green- yes, they are lower.

chose english lit, psychology and maths for a-levels though i'm having a think as to whether i should change one of my options. i'll see when results day comes, i guess? i want to work in something to do with mental health when i'm older- maybe developmental psychology.

i personally don't think you should expect too much from me: semi-decent grades and rants about my dislike for physics and all the goddamn formulae we have to remember.

important dates:
(there's a lot okay i'm really sorry)

27th november - french speaking and listening assessment [x]
29th november - mock results day [x]
30th november - parents evening [x]
29th december - birthday!! [x]
10th january - biology exam [x]
11th january - physics and french writing exam [x]
12th january - chemistry exam, english language exam and geography exam [x]
1st march - french listening mock [x]
w/c 5th march - mock week [x]
5th march non-calc maths, physics + higher french reading mock [x]
6th march - english lit + computer science mock [x]
7th march - biology + chemistry mock [x]
8th march - business + maths mock [x]
9th march - re + geography mock [x]
27th april - avengers infinity war comes out [x]
30th april - gcse french speaking exam [x]
14th may - gcse examination series begins :frown: [x]
14th may - gcse computer science + religious studies: christianity [x]
15th may - gcse french higher reading and listening + biology [x]
16th may - gcse religious studies: sikhism [x]
17th may - gcse computer science + chemistry [x]
18th may - gcse higher french writing [x]
22nd may - gcse english lit paper 1 + geography: landscapes [x]
23rd may - gcse business studies + physics [x]
24th may - gcse maths paper 1 [x]
25th may - year 11 leavers eucharist + gcse english lit paper 2 [x]
5th june - gcse english lang paper 1 + geography [x]
6th june - gcse business studies [x]
7th june - gcse maths paper 2 [x]
8th june - gcse english lang paper 2 [x]
11th june - gcse biology + geography [x]
12th june - gcse maths paper 3 [x]
13th june - gcse chemistry [x]
15th june - gcse physics (final exam!!) [x]
30th june - prom (ughhh) [x]
23rd august - gcse results day

mock and other exam results:

Spoiler

revision guides/resources i use:
(someone pm'd me about this uh so here they are- try counting them lmao)

Spoiler

actual gcse results

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello there! :biggrin: good luck with your blog and the upcoming year. Fingers crossed you achieve all that you're hoping for! :smile: and best of luck for your mock grades in a few weeks.

It's also great to see you have an idea of the kind of career you want, hopefully that will motivate you even more :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Changing Skies
Hello there! :biggrin: good luck with your blog and the upcoming year. Fingers crossed you achieve all that you're hoping for! :smile: and best of luck for your mock grades in a few weeks.

It's also great to see you have an idea of the kind of career you want, hopefully that will motivate you even more :smile:

thank you!
hey! good luck with y11 and im sure you'll smash your gcses!

Spoiler

Original post by mez_merising
hey! good luck with y11 and im sure you'll smash your gcses!

Spoiler

thank you, and you too! x

monday 20th november

school schedule
maths
maths
break
french
lunch
english
geography
biology

constantly annoyed that my text is getting deleted, apologies.

tuesday 21st november

school schedule
re
re
break
business studies
lunch
maths
computer science
computer science

i bloody hate tuesday mornings because it just drags and i yawn about 500 times when i've sat on my chair for like 5 minutes. i just struggle to engage with re anyway.

business studies wasn't particularly great because the class wouldn't shut up then our teacher makes a fifteen minute speech about how we're wasting time, the speech he's making also simultaneously wasting time. we did quality control and quality assurance.
maths was alright, it's a little difficult rn because we're doing inequalities and it's taking me a while to process all the notes and information.

computer science wasn't great, we've started doing our programming and our teacher is literally no help at all. i hugely regret picking the subject.

what i'm planning to do tonight:
do a quick workout
have dinner
work on my french speaking

and that'll take me the whole night. [yay(!)]

Attachment not found

(edited 6 years ago)

thursday 23rd november 2017

still trying to revise french speaking notes and some vocab structures, i'm absolutely dreading the assessment next week as there's so much to learn and be fluent in.i'm getting my mock results next wednesday, and thursday i have parents evening :frown: i've done little revision apart from french, so i'm going to be very busy the next few days.

friday 24th november 2017
song of the day: fall out boy - a little less sixteen candles, a little more "touch me"

hello! i came back home late today as i was busy buying some christmas and birthday presents- still have two more to get [sigh] and i've spent over £17 already but it's all good. i'm currently in my pyjamas, about to heat up my dinner so i'm pretty comfy. sue me.

i woke up at 5:15am today to work on my biology revision notes, and i think i'll start getting up at this time on schooldays because there's so much to do and so little time. i was planning to relax a little but i've got chores to do and french notes to revise :frown: the joys of gcses. and i need to watch this week's episode of peaky blinders dammit.

my school timetable:
english
english
break
biology
lunch
maths
geography
geography

what i'm planning to do today:
my priorities:
revise french speaking and listening notes
make a start on any homework that's been given this week
eat dinner... eventually.

what i'd like to do:
watch peaky blinders
continue playing this animal crossing game that i've downloaded

Spoiler

Reply 8
How do you stay so organised
Original post by Muzeah
How do you stay so organised

what do you mean, work wise?
Reply 10
Yeah and how do you still find time to do stuff u want
Original post by Muzeah
Yeah and how do you still find time to do stuff u want

i have to do two or three chores everyday, so i get changed and do them as soon as i can- if i can i'll start studying before dinner but that doesn't often happen as i usually want to workout beforehand also. the key is to not procrastinate. make a list of things you want to do if that helps, prioritising academics if needed. i do most of the things i want after studying, or during the weekend :smile:

monday 27th november 2017

what i'm listening to right now: jeremy zucker - idk love

QOTD: what's your favourite food?

important things today: french aural mock and careers advisor meeting

tag(s?): @mez_merising

schedule:
maths
maths
break
french
lunch
geography
english
biology

general overview:
hello! feels like a while since i've banged out a post, simply because i've been so busy revising and practicing for my french aural mock. it was the first proper gcse-style one i've done, so i had the roleplay, the photo and the general conversation; i did a general conversation practice last year and that didn't go to well because i panicked and forgot some of my answers. i got up at 5:15 today, which will probably become something of normal because there's too much to do. so yeah, i got up early this morning, and practiced my french till 6:00.

in comparison to previous french speaking assessments, i think this is one of my better ones :smile: i'm pleased with how it went well today though it was very nervewracking in the room despite the fact that i was doing the exam with my teacher. thank god for the prep time and the fact that i revised structures, because a good theme came up and was able to say some decent things about the photo. i'll likely not get my results till next week, at the earliest, so it's a wait till then. my teacher said i did well, i just need to practice my past tense a little because i didn't use it very much.

anyway, enough about french. i missed peaky blinders and blue planet ii because i was revising :frown: hopefully watching peaky blinders tomorrow, and i need to sort out my sixth form application soon ughh.
i also had a careers meeting today, and she seemed pleased with what i said so just need to get those grades now [i want to study sociology, psychology and either english lit or maths at the moment for a-level, though i'm leaning more to english lit]
the rest of the day wasn't eventful, the pictures attached are french structures i wrote down, some presents i got on friday and some physics notes i made with my tutor on the weekend.

what i'm planning to do tonight:
re homework- research the 5k's
computer science homework- complete sheet and revise

if i have time i'd like to:
revise inequalities [maths]
watch peaky blinders
play animal crossing [not a necessity lmao]

- manu x

Spoiler

Woah, your Mum's Indonesian and your Dad's French- are you really good at French then? Je suis vraiment mauvais à Français:s-smilie:
I'm loving your blog so far, there's just so many great blogs this year and I'm deffo watching yours:smile:
Good luck with this year!! You seem really motivated and determined so I'm sure you'll get the grades you want:biggrin:

Also, your username... is that a twenty one pilots reference??|-/:wink:
You have great taste in music btw:tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by troubletracking
Woah, your Mum's Indonesian and your Dad's French- are you really good at French then? Je suis vraiment mauvais à Français:s-smilie:
I'm loving your blog so far, there's just so many great blogs this year and I'm deffo watching yours:smile:
Good luck with this year!! You seem really motivated and determined so I'm sure you'll get the grades you want:biggrin:

Also, your username... is that a twenty one pilots reference??|-/:wink:
You have great taste in music btw:tongue:

moi, je suis assez bien a francais mais pas tres bien :s-smilie: so i'm not the greatest at french though i wish i took more interest in learning it when i was younger ugh [i missed a few accents shush]
thank you for being so encouraging! i'd love 8's but i know it's gonna be so difficult mejwjhd
and yes that's a twenty one pilots reference :wink: i bloody love holding on to you
have you got a gyg blog?
Hey, I'm pretty chuffed I could read that, to be honest. Tu es tres bien!
Yeah, I'm predicted similar grades and 8s are definitely going to be easy. But that doesn't mean they're impossible:smile: Think of how great it'll feel when you open your envelope and find 8s in the subjects you worked hardest for:h: Keep going, you've got this!
Hell yeah, holding on to you is a bop, though I always think he's singing 'annotate my face'..?:biggrin: My personal favs have got to be trees, taxi cab and goner, though.:tongue:
As a matter of fact, I do, though I'm currently knee deep in mocks so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update it this week. It's my first GYG blog I've ever run on here, and I'm loving it so far!
Original post by troubletracking
Hey, I'm pretty chuffed I could read that, to be honest. Tu es tres bien!
Yeah, I'm predicted similar grades and 8s are definitely going to be easy. But that doesn't mean they're impossible:smile: Think of how great it'll feel when you open your envelope and find 8s in the subjects you worked hardest for:h: Keep going, you've got this!
Hell yeah, holding on to you is a bop, though I always think he's singing 'annotate my face'..?:biggrin: My personal favs have got to be trees, taxi cab and goner, though.:tongue:
As a matter of fact, I do, though I'm currently knee deep in mocks so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to update it this week. It's my first GYG blog I've ever run on here, and I'm loving it so far!

i love trees ahhh my faves are holding onto you, ruby, goner and forest. oh, good luck with your mocks; i'm getting my results tomorrow ugh.
have you got a link to your blog? i'd love to read it :smile:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i love trees ahhh my faves are holding onto you, ruby, goner and forest. oh, good luck with your mocks; i'm getting my results tomorrow ugh.
have you got a link to your blog? i'd love to read it :smile:

Arghh good luck, i'm nervous for you:s-smilie: Bet you've done great, though, and if you haven't at least they're only mocks and you can work on your weaknesses!

Saying that, you might need more luck reading this train wreck lmao

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5023362

Enjoy:redface:
I love this blog.:h:

(also, I watch Peaky Blinders too:ninja:)
Original post by 04MR17
I love this blog.:h:

(also, I watch Peaky Blinders too:ninja:)

ah, thank you :smile: i haven't watched all of this week's episode yet yeet

Latest

Trending

Trending