The Student Room Group

How Many Times Will SFE Cover A PGCE?

Hey guys.

So I was wondering, how many times are people eligible to receive PGCE funding for Primary from SFE?

My husband was accepted onto a schools led training course last year. He got through until January and then his mental health pushed him to defer. He started again this year but a god awful personal circumstance has meant he has had to leave :frown:

The decision absolutely crushed him!!

I was just curious as to how many times SFE will fund a PGCE seen as it is an exception course.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by CharlieB-Doyle
Hey guys.

So I was wondering, how many times are people eligible to receive PGCE funding for Primary from SFE?

My husband was accepted onto a schools led training course last year. He got through until January and then his mental health pushed him to defer. He started again this year but a god awful personal circumstance has meant he has had to leave :frown:

The decision absolutely crushed him!!

I was just curious as to how many times SFE will fund a PGCE seen as it is an exception course.

Thank you :smile:

Hi CharlieB-Doyle

Students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 additional year, for example, if it was a 3 year course they would get

3+1 = 4 years of funding

We would also offer extra years of funding if the student had Compelling Personal Reasons why he had to leave the course.

We would request evidence of this -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Katie
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi CharlieB-Doyle

Students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 additional year, for example, if it was a 3 year course they would get

3+1 = 4 years of funding

We would also offer extra years of funding if the student had Compelling Personal Reasons why he had to leave the course.

We would request evidence of this -

is signed and dated;

confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

when this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

Medical evidence from a GP

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Thanks Katie

Thank you so much for this Katie!
That’s quite promising to hear!
He is going to try to reclaim his place back on the course today but of course if that doesn’t come good then it’s nice to know that he may have the option to try again.

Thank you for your time!
Reply 3
Hello Katie from SFE!I have a PGCE to teach in Further/Post-Compulsory Education (14 ) but have firmly realised that this particular sector is not for me. I have two questions:1. Is Primary PGCE an exception course?2. If so, would funding be provided to a student who has already completed a PGCE in a different setting?Thanks in advance.Nicky B
Original post by nsb2018
Hello Katie from SFE!I have a PGCE to teach in Further/Post-Compulsory Education (14 ) but have firmly realised that this particular sector is not for me. I have two questions:1. Is Primary PGCE an exception course?2. If so, would funding be provided to a student who has already completed a PGCE in a different setting?Thanks in advance.Nicky B

Hi nsb2018,

These are exempt from ELQ and previous study rules if it is an ITT course which last 2 years or less and you do not already have Qualified Teacher Status.

Students with QTS are not eligible for Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant support, however they are eligible for Maintenance Loan support and Grants for Dependents and DSA (if applicable).

Thanks Rona
Hi can any sfe rep advise me? I'm seriously considering dropping out or deferring my school led course. I started in September but because of serious family issues I can't fully commit to the workload. Both my parents are in hospital with serious health issues and there's more family trouble in court proceedings etc. It's came out of the blue but I need to consider alternative options such as dropping out/deferral. How would this affect my finance? I have full loan and grants and am financially dependent on these. If I dropped out because I wouldn't have enough days to be compliant to standards, how would this impact my finances?
Original post by UnicornSparkles
Hi can any sfe rep advise me? I'm seriously considering dropping out or deferring my school led course. I started in September but because of serious family issues I can't fully commit to the workload. Both my parents are in hospital with serious health issues and there's more family trouble in court proceedings etc. It's came out of the blue but I need to consider alternative options such as dropping out/deferral. How would this affect my finance? I have full loan and grants and am financially dependent on these. If I dropped out because I wouldn't have enough days to be compliant to standards, how would this impact my finances?

Hi UnicornSparkles,

If you withdraw or suspend your study you sill be entitled to funding up till the day you withdraw or suspend, you will need to get the College/University to confirm they will normally send this electronically.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending