The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Im so surprised so many other girls get this :lol: but I feel like I'll be single forever at this rate :'(

Original post by Anonymous
Yes! That happens to me too. I start to like a guy a lot but say after a few weeks, I just don't see anything and feel no chemistry towards them.

Original post by Fizzy98
HAHAA this is literally me I don’t know how to fix it. It’s sometimes things as stupid as what jeans they wear and I KNOW that’s dumb and ridiculously shallow. It’s like... it’s not u, it’s ur jeans :/

Original post by boatybells
YES omg someone put it into words

Original post by Supernova36
This is amazing ! Yeah I get this too xox

Original post by Bham369
:lol: know what you mean!

Original post by saharan_skies
this is like..... me. i start having good vibes about a guy and then as soon as i start going out with them, i start feeling slightly disgusted of things that they do. (idk if its because im actually not that into guys at all or because i get grossed out easily )

Original post by The SQA Hates Us
OH MY THIS IS ME AS HECK

There's this boy I've been kind of crushing on for a little while, and now he's shown signs of liking me (idk how to describe it's just the same stuff that I do when I like someone) I've completely been put off by him!
Girls are weird. A lot are like this, and then when you cotton on and start to contact them a lot less they whinge that you only contact them when you're after a booty call. Can't win sometimes :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Most guys know this about girls. The less attention you give girls the more they become attracted to you and the more attention you give them the less attracted to you they become. This applies to all girls. I think its a biological thing. I'm sure of it. It kind of makes sense. The more attention you give girls the more dependent you appear to the girl and therefore less masculine and so less attractive. The more distant you become the more independent you appear to the girl and the more masculine so the more attractive you become to her. I think its one of those evolution things....that help women choose a partner that can protect them.

Most guys that are successful with girls, know this trait about girls and use it to their advantage in relationships.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by winterscoming
It sounds to me like you've just never managed to find the kind of deeper connection which grows over time as you really get to know someone. If you haven't had the chance to experience a real meaningful connection with anyone yet, don't worry, it'll happen eventually, but it's not going to appear out of nowhere. Obviously you can't force something out of nothing, but both sides do actually need to make an effort, be patient with the other, and actually really want it to work.

Don't try to over-think it or see it as a problem. It might be because they're not that into you, or maybe it's because you're just not that into them, or perhaps you think you want a relationship but actually you're still having fun just meeting people and dating, and you just don't want to settle for somebody just yet given that there are so many other people out there who might be better for you. It doesn't matter the reason why, all that matters is that you know it's not working out, and there's no point beating yourself up about it, or wondering if there's something wrong with you - you've got your own life to live, so live it and don't dwell on the relationships which didn't work out.

If you're worried that you're being too picky, or searching for the impossible, just remember that there's a huge difference between wanting a relationship and really wanting to be with someone so much that you'll both put in the effort needed to make it work - this doesn't happen often because it takes a lot of time and patience; you need to want that person enough that you can deal with the highs and lows, the personality quirks, the annoying habits, etc.

Just think how many years you've known your best friend, all the stuff you've done together, and how hard you'd find it to replace him/her in your life - until you've got that kind of connection with a partner, then you probably haven't met "the right one" yet.

When it does happen, you'll really know about it because that person will be a potential life-long partner who you'd actually seriously be considering spending the rest of your days with, All the things about them which annoy you will just stop bothering you, and you'll most likely even start to find those quirks attractive because it's their 'true' personality shining through - i.e. the flaws and faults in your partner which nobody else really notices, and nobody else appreciates or understands about them quite the way that you do.

Until then, just accept that it's going to happen with nearly all of your future dates (if you're lucky, it will happen with all but one). By the way, guys go through exactly the same thing after dating a few months, we're just as likely to lose interest, or decide that she's not really worth the effort, or end up more interested in somebody else, or just figure that life is easier without being joined at the hip with somebody.

So do you think it's a case of finding someone I actually click with on a sustained level and who I'm really really into enough to put in the effort?

I really hope what you're saying is true because I dont fancy being alone forever :lol:
Reply 24
Original post by Tootles
This happens to guys too.

Also, nice try at stealing my name :colonhash:

hahah sorry mate!
Reply 25
Original post by Fizzy98
it’s not u, it’s ur jeans :/

this made me laugh :lol:
Original post by tootles44
So do you think it's a case of finding someone I actually click with on a sustained level and who I'm really really into enough to put in the effort?

I really hope what you're saying is true because I dont fancy being alone forever :lol:

Yeah :smile: But in case I'm wrong and you do end up alone forever, you can always become crazy cat lady :wink:

Seriously though, just look at the other replies if you ever needed proof that everybody you'll ever meet is going to have all kinds of slight personality quirks, strange habits and other niggles which have the potential to annoy you.

People often hide this stuff at the start of a relationship so you don't always see it straight away, normally you'll find out about them as you get more comfortable with each other, so I guess it's whether you reach a point where you've lost interest, or whether you're enamoured enough with them that you think it's worth trying.

Eventually most people meet somebody who they feel a real connection with, which makes you just want to be around them. When that happens you'll start to recognise those flaws as being like tiny fragments of the things which make up their personality and who they really are, so you might still notice these things, but wanting to be with somebody kind of changes the way you feel about the things which would otherwise be a turn-off.

To be honest, I think all relationships start out much the same, it takes a long time to really know whether it's going to work or not (Disney movies are nonsense! sorry :P ). You'll never really be able to notice the one which is going to work out, but if you've lost interest after a few months, then you know it's definitely not going to work.

Just remember that it's not hopeless - you don't need to force it; you're going to keep meeting wrong'uns along the way who aren't worth the effort - you've just gotta learn to spot those ones, and move on :smile:
I've never heard of "the ick" but after researching - things are starting to make a whole lot more sense now....
...It's called...getting to know someone and realising you don't like them after all.

It's also called, not being shallow.
hahah sorry mate!
It's alright :colonhash: :lol:
Yes it's happened to me before, but I put it down to just not having a connection with them. If you really fancied/had feelings for them, you'd overlook them and be excited about the developing relationship so I'd assume you've just not found the right guy.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Girls are weird. A lot are like this

Original post by CookieButter
Most guys know this about girls. The less attention you give girls the more they become attracted to you and the more attention you give them the less attracted to you they become.

Pretty much.
With some guys, I find them attractive but then they start to repulse me.
What you're experiencing is mother nature/evolution. That's how women are.

You crave the guys who don't give you constant attention because you like the chase (it's hard wired in your DNA). The more guys start to give you all the attention in the world the more you get bored of them very quickly.

I just feel sorry for the men who still don't understand this.
@ me next time
Reply 35
I get 'the ick' almost instantaneously with all of humanity.
Yeah I've experienced that. Have you ever heard of the term "lithromantic"? Basically its on the aromantic spectrum and it's when you fancy people but don't like it when people fancy you. Kinda like the ick. I think I might be lithromantic.
This has happened literally all my life, I might start fancying someone and feel we have good chemistry but inevitably with the increasing attention I get from them I start getting 'the ick' as its known as :lol: basically small things about them start to annoy me and feel a bit put off by them and receiving messages from them etc even when they are doing nothing wrong and not acting clingy or anything like that. Then when they stop giving me attention the ick stops but it will start up again if they do :s-smilie:

Feel like theres something wrong with me bc it's happening yet again when this time I thought it would be different :lol:

Any other girls had this experience?

im a boy and curious what a 'ick' is
i always get the “ick” whenever i’m in a relationship or talking to someone and it’s happened for so long and i don’t know how to stop it because i could be liking someone then get with them,then start getting the “ick” so i think the right thing to do is end it with them,then when i do ill start liking them again but then it’s too late and so now i don’t know if my feelings are real or not and i don’t know what to do to solve this problem
You are what's commonly known as uptight, intolerant and high maintenance. Not very attractive qualities in my opinion. This coming from a guy.

Latest

Trending

Trending