The Student Room Group

Why choose an apprenticeship in engineering? By Science and Technologies Facilities C

Got a question about doing an apprenticeship in engineering? Our experts are here to help.

Harry is an Electronic Engineering Technician for the Science and Technology Facilities Council. He maintains and develops state-of-the-art machines to aid development and research into science, which are used around the world in different research facilities.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Wednesday 14 February.
What can I expect of a Level 4 Networking Engineer Apprenticeship
Hi, I've got an interview with a company on Wednesday about an apprenticeship where i I'll be doing both a L3 and L4 qualification (L3 IT Infrastructure and L4 Networking Engineer).
Does anyone have any experience in doing an apprenticeship in this field. What was it like?
I'm looking for some advice on a career in mechanical engineering. I'm currently in my 6th year of high school. I'd like to enter the field through an apprenticeship (ideally one through which I could achieve a HND). Thing is I'm currently struggling to find such schemes most seem like they're difficult to get into (I'm not surprised). Alternatively I'll go down the route of going to college and then entering the workplace. Do apprenticeship schemes take on college students that are currently studying a course and have say already achieved a HNC? My other question is, is it common for employers to give you the opportunity to further your qualifications at university?

Thanks in advance for any input
Hi , So I'm currently 18 and an apprentice electrical maintenance engineer. Im working and studying a BTEC level 3 in electrical and electronic engineering. Before my apprenticeship I did As levels in: Applied IT, Business, Physics , and Computer science, with grades ABCD. Basically I'm looking to apply for computer science/software engineering at university with my BTEC (predicted distinctions)
however I'm wondering weather or not to mention AS levels as I got a D in computer science. At the time I was immature , however since then i've developed a massive interest in it and have been learning coding at home with books and courses. I've matured a lot over the last year or two and feel passionate about it even though I wasn't interested then but don't want to put it on my application and have it come across as though I was no good at the subject I'm applying for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 4
Apprenticeship holidays and hours.

I have been applying for AAT level 3 accounting apprenticeships starting around January 2018. I've also applied for university. I left mechanical engineering degree course in November, to pursue accountancy instead.

Apprenticeships are my first choice. But what puts me off is the fact that I will have to be working and studying throughout the summer. Unlike having the long summer off to relax as a uni student. on top of that, there's full daily work hours (9 hours).

Can anyone advise me how it goes? and if it's worth stressing about? I feel like I won't have much time free for my favourite hobbies, unlike many of my friends, who will have completed exams and can relax. (AAT has exams every 1 or 2 months)
Reply 5
I have done apprenticeship in car mechanics engineering level 1 and 2 so I have a couple years experience in the field of car mechanics and I'm now completing my level 3 mechanic qualification. I have failed my GCSEs with a D in maths ,C in btec ict, level 2 in English and also a C in btec science. Will I be able to apply for university or will I have to study and get higher grades? I am 21 years of age
Original post by ARRadiation
What can I expect of a Level 4 Networking Engineer Apprenticeship
Hi, I've got an interview with a company on Wednesday about an apprenticeship where i I'll be doing both a L3 and L4 qualification (L3 IT Infrastructure and L4 Networking Engineer).
Does anyone have any experience in doing an apprenticeship in this field. What was it like?

Afternoon,

First of all best of luck with your interview! Unfortunately, I do not have much experience in the field of neworking. I did an electronic engineering apprenticeship. I'm sure you are aware of what the job entails however from the apprenticeship point of view, they all carry parallels. You will need to do your jobs then evidence a few of them in log books, which is where you will get the L3 & L4 apprenticeship qualifications.

Thanks

Harry
Original post by send duck pics
I'm looking for some advice on a career in mechanical engineering. I'm currently in my 6th year of high school. I'd like to enter the field through an apprenticeship (ideally one through which I could achieve a HND). Thing is I'm currently struggling to find such schemes most seem like they're difficult to get into (I'm not surprised). Alternatively I'll go down the route of going to college and then entering the workplace. Do apprenticeship schemes take on college students that are currently studying a course and have say already achieved a HNC? My other question is, is it common for employers to give you the opportunity to further your qualifications at university?

Thanks in advance for any input

Afternoon!

The short answer is absolutely they will take you on having already achieved a HNC, and it will only help you in terms of your employability.
When it comes to funding, some companies will fund you and some won't. It's very hard to tell who will and who won't when you're viewing it from the outside- it's very good to ask at your job interview about potential career progression.
Organisations that are funded through a government body, such as where I work, will be far more likely to pay for courses and further qualifications.
Try speaking to people who work in the specific company you're looking at joining, and see if you can gauge how keen they are on investing in their employees career progression.

Thanks

Harry
Original post by zacqwerty
Hi , So I'm currently 18 and an apprentice electrical maintenance engineer. Im working and studying a BTEC level 3 in electrical and electronic engineering. Before my apprenticeship I did As levels in: Applied IT, Business, Physics , and Computer science, with grades ABCD. Basically I'm looking to apply for computer science/software engineering at university with my BTEC (predicted distinctions)
however I'm wondering weather or not to mention AS levels as I got a D in computer science. At the time I was immature , however since then i've developed a massive interest in it and have been learning coding at home with books and courses. I've matured a lot over the last year or two and feel passionate about it even though I wasn't interested then but don't want to put it on my application and have it come across as though I was no good at the subject I'm applying for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Good afternoon,

I definitely recommend putting it on your CV. When it comes to your personal statement, you can make sure you get across everything you have just relayed to me. That seems the best way of getting across your interest and your application in the subject.

Good luck!

Harry
Original post by jav747
Apprenticeship holidays and hours.

I have been applying for AAT level 3 accounting apprenticeships starting around January 2018. I've also applied for university. I left mechanical engineering degree course in November, to pursue accountancy instead.

Apprenticeships are my first choice. But what puts me off is the fact that I will have to be working and studying throughout the summer. Unlike having the long summer off to relax as a uni student. on top of that, there's full daily work hours (9 hours).

Can anyone advise me how it goes? and if it's worth stressing about? I feel like I won't have much time free for my favourite hobbies, unlike many of my friends, who will have completed exams and can relax. (AAT has exams every 1 or 2 months)

Afternoon!

It does take a bit of getting used to, going from being a student to a full time employee is something everyone has to do at some point in their life. There have been times when I was jealous of being having long summers, and i'm at work, however that soon wore off. I've been full time where I am since I was 17, and I never feel like stressing out about holidays, and there's plenty of free time. Remember that most University students when they 'have summer off' they spend a lot of it working, so it isn't as bad as what it seems.
Thanks a lot,

Harry
Original post by Remiv12
I have done apprenticeship in car mechanics engineering level 1 and 2 so I have a couple years experience in the field of car mechanics and I'm now completing my level 3 mechanic qualification. I have failed my GCSEs with a D in maths ,C in btec ict, level 2 in English and also a C in btec science. Will I be able to apply for university or will I have to study and get higher grades? I am 21 years of age

Afternoon,

It depends on the university course you're applying for. It should say on the website when you come to write your application whether you need a C or above in Maths & English.
If you do need to have the GCSE's, there's plenty of routes you can take to do so. Night classes, college, self study are all potential ways for you to learn the Maths & English syllabuses before taking the exam, which, if i remember correctly, costs around £50.

Hope this helps,

Harry
That's the end of the webchat thanks very much to Harry!

Latest

Trending

Trending