The Student Room Group

my girlfriend wants to leave me because my GPA is a 2.7

Scroll to see replies

her GPA ( Girlfriend Point Average ) is 0.04
you may love her dearly buddy, but take into consideration how its making you feel, remember love is kind

you need support not ultimatums, I'm sorry to say this coz i know you love her.

but you may need to look for love elsewhere, and know that what ever you get, you did your best and thats nothing to feel embarrassed about !
"now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do"

Drop out of Uni and become a CORGI registered plumber. Or even better, stay in Uni whilst also becoming a CORGI registered plumber. Or become a plasterer or electrician or joiner or roofer - whatever trade you fancy.

Go self-employed in the South East of England for a few years. Pop by her place in your Bentley Bentayga in 2025 to see how she's doing.
Yeah dude, it's time to let her the **** go! You don't need a girlfriend who puts those kinds of requirements. It is one thing when a partner wants to encourage you to do better and get your life together but another thing is putting requirements like those on someone and pushing them down. That is not support to tough love, that is just her having her knickers in a twist. Let her go.
Original post by S.G.
I didn’t know girlfriends had entry requirements.

Bro ,you are on fire with these lines.
The girl sounds like a typical tsr pretentious snob.
Dump that bish
2.7 just isn't big enough for some girls...
Original post by Anonymous
my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.

Leave her and do your own thing, or else you spend the rest of your life trying to please her and never being happy and content with yourself. Or, maybe she says she will leave you because she loves you and wants to motivate you to work harder and do well because she doesn't want a dead beat bf to introduce her family to and grow old with. So you could takke it either way, it's up to you. However, if shes stayed with you after all this, i reckon she loves you as well and only wants the best but gets frustrated sometimes when you let yourself and her down, therefore saying all this. It's best if you talk to her about the pressure she is putting on you and how it affects you mentally and emotionally!
Get rid, now. That kind of attitude towards university is ridiculous - I know so many people who plodded through mediocre courses at mediocre universities just because university is the done thing, and it achieved absolutely NOTHING for their life goals. If she's so short-sighted as to throw you down a path that clearly isn't meant for you, she is not as intelligent as she's pretending to be.
It correlates with how g-loaded the tests in question are, as g and earnings do correlate well. American SATs, for instance, are apparently pretty good proxies for more g-loaded IQ tests. Regardless, you raise good points, in the end it represents potential and if you don't use it, you won't benefit from it.
Original post by anonymous
my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. Good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when i did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. Now i am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. Saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when i was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that i ended up failing two classes, because i tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and i lied about it and she found out , so i understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that i got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but i think i am not good enough for her.

for how long you have been dating?
……..
Show her that you are trying alot and with all this trying you are getting pressurised too. Everyone needs a partner who is smart, caring and loving. But at the same time motivating and supporting too.

I firmly believe that her intention is not to dump you or hurt you or pressurise you, instead she wants you to work hard cause maybe she has seen that potential in you however, its not the intention its the way she is doing it which is wrong.

Firstly, you need to make her understand that she needs to be supportive. Like she saying that you need to get in or i will dump you, for some it might be a boost to wrok hard and get succeeded but not for all. But please dont say it directly, it can make the situation worse. Make it indirectly , gentle and from heart.Make sure you make her understand maturely and gently.

Secondly, i think she wants to help you to grow but calmly and probably, a face to face conversation would be much better than video call or call or on chat, tell her how much you love her and that you are trying your best.

Thirdly, have faith and be kind. One cannot succed if he/she dont beilve in their own self. We all have flaws but that doesnt make you less than others, so dont think you arent good enough for her.

#I hope you stay happy together.
#thank you for reading and hope it helps you.
#let me know what you felt about the above suggestion.
my girlfriend is very smart in law school and she has always been a great student. good grades. I on the other hand have just come come back to school after 10 years, when I did not do so well in high school, i dropped out. now I am in a university with a 2.7 and she is making it hard for me. saying a bunch of things. She gave me a ultimatum when I was in community college that if i didnt get into a university she would dump me, cause she didnt wanna date someone who couldn't get in, when she said that I ended up failing two classes, because I tried to push myself harder and was so worried i wouldnt get in, and I lied about it and she found out , so I understand her wanting to leave me for that, but she's decided to stay and now that I got into a university im trying very hard but its hard to bring a gpa after a few fails, what should i do. I love her dearly, but I think i am not good enough for her.

either you are a troll, or your girlfriend is Asian.
Original post by nonotyoutoo
either you are a troll, or your girlfriend is Asian.

what makes you think she's definitely Asian?
A bit rude...
You can have all those things with a poor academic record though. So the grade shouldn't be an important factor only the things that come with it.
Original post by frwfood
what makes you think she's definitely Asian?
A bit rude...

Asian women are materialistic
Original post by nonotyoutoo
Asian women are materialistic

And Western women definitely never aren't, or Western men either. That's a whole new stupid stereotype I've never heard of, kudos.
Regardless of the reason, if someone makes you feel horrible, you shouldn't be with them. I understand if she cares about YOU improving YOUR life, but it seems like she's more embarassed of being with someome who isn't at university. In which case, she's pushing you for all the wrong reasons. Don't be with someone whose life plans don't add up with yours but at the same time, don't be with someone who can't make you better. It's a fine line.
Reply 37

Boy, just let her go cuz (why I think you should)
1- she is not loving you for who you are,
2- cares more about showing off not feeloings
3- you wont be comfortable with her in your relationship, therefore lie after lies
4- she is not there when you need her most- the sad and anxious times (basically, bad times n stuff) I mean, she could've helped you with her "intelligent" brain like help make notes, give tips or at least let you have rest between your studies by giving you a snack or talking to you.
I get it that it's hard to just let someone go just like when because you have deep feelings for her; but do you think this relationship will last long like this? don't you think it will come to an end one day? (WHY I THINK YOU SHOULD NOT LET HER GO -->)OR do you think she is someone who is trying to bring out your best in you but you might not like how she is gettin it across you: so you need the divine strength of COMMUNICATION- so that you guys can understand each other better like, do ask questions- are you gonna leave me just cuz of my grades? what counts more to you- feelings or grades? then clear it out whatever misunderstanding you are having, because I dont think you developed the deep feelings for her just like that. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THE TRUTH about one thing that is you both are kinda equal: because she has great grades meaning she can have a good and enjoyable career with someone more successful BUT you are someone who gives her the emotional thingy and actually care about her because of herself not her grades. so it'd be 50-50. so use both of of your and your girlfriend's strong points to get out of this obstacle- let her help you with your studies(study timetable, making notes etc. etc. which will help deepen ur reationship like "killing 2 birds with one stone") and show your actual love to her and she will know it's worth being with you, cuz I think she will understand because she didnt leave you even though before she said she would.
Get em', bag em', burn em'
Reply 39
Dump her. People like that are normally ridiculously hypocritical anyway, I bet if she ends up with someone smarter than her she'll put in zero effort to try and close the gap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending