The Student Room Group

Why do blokeish guys always laugh at me?

Hello.
When I am in high school and am around blokeish guys, even a 1 word response, such as "Hello" makes them start giggling with each other. I am gay and act a bit feminine, although not a flaming homosexual either. Do they have a problem or is it me?

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have an idea? It keeps happening every time I interact with them. Some of them are a year older, but even a few who are younger. I just can't see how it is funny, or how my presence is humorous.
...and people wonder why I don't want to be friends with straight guys...
Reply 2
Original post by Joe2001
I am gay and act a bit feminine, although not a flaming homosexual either. Do they have a problem or is it me?

you've answered your own question
Original post by ANM775
you've answered your own question

I don't get it though. What's so amusing about being gay or having some feminine traits? They don't even know my sexuality, and although I am different to them, I don't get why that should be funny, or even saying "hello" is all of a sudden hilarious. Plus, I do know a few guys who are more feminine than me, and they seem to never be bothered by the lads.

Are straight guys capable of accepting other people who don't conform to gender stereotypes?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Joe2001
I don't get it though. What's so amusing about being gay or having some feminine traits? They don't even know my sexuality, and although I am different to them, I don't get why that should be funny, or even saying "hello" is all of a sudden hilarious. Plus, I do know a few guys who are more feminine than me, and they seem to never be bothered by the lads.

Are straight guys capable of accepting other people who don't conform to gender stereotypes?

your voice is abnormal for a males voice and they find amusement in that.

Personally I wouldn't start giggling each time an effeminate gay man talks ...but there are definitely some types who would.....
Original post by Joe2001

maybe you just did something cringey or something and its just standard bullying and nothing to do if ur effeminate or anything
The same folks have done it for 4 years. Since I started high school, so nothing cringey has influenced it. I feel pity for them if they are still laughing about it, TBH.

Maybe I should act even gayer and see how they find that. :biggrin:

BTW - my voice is a bit high.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
The same folks have done it for 4 years. Since I started high school, so nothing cringey has influenced it. I feel pity for them if they are still laughing about it, TBH.

Maybe I should act even gayer and see how they find that. :biggrin:

probably not a good idea if it bothers you that much
Original post by mydasnmaghaberry
probably not a good idea if it bothers you that much

It's just persistent and comes from more than one group of people. I have been told by other people to not act gay around lads though. They are the worst, and are the reason why I don't like to mix with straight guys.

The giggling isn't the only bad thing. There is one guy who keeps asking "Do you love me?". Another gave me tips for anal. Nice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Hello.
When I am in high school and am around blokeish guys, even a 1 word response, such as "Hello" makes them start giggling with each other. I am gay and act a bit feminine, although not a flaming homosexual either. Do they have a problem or is it me?

Used to be in the same position as you but it changed when I punched a guy 3 years old (I was year 8) because he told me he was going to teach me how to act and speak and that if I didn't listen, he'd beat me up😐. Kind of hard to punch a 6 foot 1 guy in year 8 but managed to do it as a 5 foot 5 kid back then...still not sure how. Wouldn't advise anyone to ever do that and it doesn't seem that you'd need to- I just went to a really homophobic school.

I would personally act "interested" in one of the guys that laughs at you because you may get a blush out of him.
Original post by Joe2001
It's just persistent and comes from more than one group of people. I have been told by other people to not act gay around lads though. They are the worst, and are the reason why I don't like to mix with straight guys.

The giggling isn't the only bad thing. There is one guy who keeps asking "Do you love me?". Another gave me tips for anal. Nice.

they think your as straight as a roundabout. Get a girlfriend and they'll back off. The thing with this stuff is, as long as they can provoke a reaction out of you, even a little sigh, they'll keep going. that is 100% fact.
Original post by ChallengeLover
Used to be in the same position as you but it changed when I punched a guy 3 years old (I was year 8) because he told me he was going to teach me how to act and speak and that if I didn't listen, he'd beat me up😐. Kind of hard to punch a 6 foot 1 guy in year 8 but managed to do it as a 5 foot 5 kid back then...still not sure how. Wouldn't advise anyone to ever do that and it doesn't seem that you'd need to- I just went to a really homophobic school.

I would personally act "interested" in one of the guys that laughs at you because you may get a blush out of him.

Nice job standing up to them!

As for the BIB - that sounds fun. None of them are my type anyway (at all), but how could I do that? Maybe that will shut them up.
Original post by ChallengeLover

sorry but that is terrible advice, you dont want to isolate yourself even more
they think your as straight as a roundabout. Get a girlfriend and they'll back off.

At least that means that I act reasonably gay, if straight guys can tell.

I certainly won't get a girlfriend though. It's like cheating. There would be 0 point at the end of the day, since there would be no chance of it lasting, nor would there be any love whatsoever. If I am going to make the effort to find a partner, I would at least want it to be the gender which I am attracted to.
Original post by Joe2001
At least that means that I act reasonably gay, if straight guys can tell.

I certainly won't get a girlfriend though. It's like cheating. There would be 0 point at the end of the day, since there would be no chance of it lasting, nor would there be any love whatsoever. If I am going to make the effort to find a partner, I would at least want it to be the gender which I am attracted to.

no im saying legit look for a girlfriend. you know, two birds with one stone. like actually have an invested relationship thats not for the sole purpose of making these guys thing ur not gay
Original post by Joe2001
Nice job standing up to them!

As for the BIB - that sounds fun. None of them are my type anyway (at all), but how could I do that? Maybe that will shut them up.

It worked with me because all the guys were very "straight"... I was just scanning one of the guys in the playground when he was looking and gave him a wink. A nut job could've figured out it was fake but he didn't. Had to ask one of my female friends who was in a relationship how to let a guy know you're interested... She wasn't too good at it sadly but just look at them the way you would around your crush.

But I don't know if it's the best of ideas because they may start some trouble or it could force you into a corner socially. Just something to bear in mind.
no im saying legit look for a girlfriend. you know, two birds with one stone. like actually have an invested relationship thats not for the sole purpose of making these guys thing ur not gay

Why look for a girlfriend? Surely we have established that I am gay, so getting a girlfriend wouldn't work out. I'm not changing my dating life to suit them.
Please explain, as you are confusing me with that advice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Why look for a girlfriend? Surely we have established that I am gay, so getting a girlfriend wouldn't work out. I'm not changing my dating life to suit them.

i thought the whole point was to prove you weren't gay just effeminate. Just embrace it then. get a boyfriend, if they judge you tell them they are homophobic pricks, literally everyone else will back you up
i thought the whole point was to prove you weren't gay just effeminate. Just embrace it then. get a boyfriend, if they judge you tell them they are homophobic pricks, literally everyone else will back you up

Hopefully the others will back me up. Maybe if I tried to be friends with more girls, then they would quit it, as they wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them. Some of these folks will be gone after this year, although some will still be there. I am going to try to make an effort to find a boyfriend next year (although it may be difficult), but let's see...
Certainly got nothing to prove to these guys. If they judge me then they can go away.
Original post by Joe2001
Hopefully the others will back me up. Maybe if I tried to be friends with more girls, then they would quit it, as they wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them. Some of these folks will be gone after this year, although some will still be there. I am going to try to make an effort to find a boyfriend next year (although it may be difficult), but let's see...
Certainly got nothing to prove to these guys. If they judge me then they can go away.

that's the spirit. There are two openly gay guys at my school, one of them sends other guy's nudes out of the blue, puts pictures of himself in the bath on his snapchat story and the other is a normal human who im mates with, me and him talked about what attracts us in a human of our respective preferred genders. it was a normal conversation. as long as your not 'that guy', people generally wont give a ****
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending