The Student Room Group

UCAS - going into adjustment after accepting an unconditional?

I have an unconditional offer from keele for biochemistry that says that if I chose them as their firm, it'll be unconditional. If not the offer is BBC.
I want to go to that uni, so I'm sure I'll be chosing that as my firm amd therefore I'll get the place and won't need to chose an insurance.
The problem is, I don't want to do biochemistry anymore because I don't think I'll get any jobs after graduation + I prefer vocational courses.

My question is can I go into adjustment after accepting my unconditional offer?

I'm thinking of switching to either pharmacy at keele or optometry at Manchester because keel doesn't do it. Which onw do you think is better? I heard pharmacy isn't good anymore, but is it the same with optometry?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LunaCat
I have an unconditional offer from keele for biochemistry that says that if I chose them as their firm, it'll be unconditional. If not the offer is BBC.
I want to go to that uni, so I'm sure I'll be chosing that as my firm amd therefore I'll get the place and won't need to chose an insurance.
The problem is, I don't want to do biochemistry anymore because I don't think I'll get any jobs after graduation + I prefer vocational courses.

My question is can I go into adjustment after accepting my unconditional offer?

I'm thinking of switching to either pharmacy at keele or optometry at Manchester because keel doesn't do it. Which onw do you think is better? I heard pharmacy isn't good anymore, but is it the same with optometry?

Thanks

You can’t use adjustment with an unconditional offer. Accepting an unconditional offer locks you into that course at that university unless they agree in August to place you into clearing. Clearing is the only way to apply elsewhere.

If you want to swap to pharmacy at keele then talk to them now about switching your application to that course before you accept the offer.
Reply 2
Hey, thought I'll put some input as I know that Keele Pharmacy course gets booked up quiet quickly. If you were to choose the Pharmacy course I don't know how it would go by changing but an interview for pharmacy would be needed, as a guess as the questions are not general science based questions in the pharmacy interview.

About the Unconditional offer I'm unsure if you were going to drop the offer they gave you how you could apply for other courses. Clearing is an option I know of however it's quite early to be thinking about that. Call Ucas, they are always helpful.
Nope once you accept an unconditional you have to go there
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You can’t use adjustment with an unconditional offer. Accepting an unconditional offer locks you into that course at that university unless they agree in August to place you into clearing. Clearing is the only way to apply elsewhere.

If you want to swap to pharmacy at keele then talk to them now about switching your application to that course before you accept the offer.

Oh no :frown: what if I put my firm as manchester University for example, and keele as my insurance (so then it won't be unconditional anymore), can I go into adjustment if I exceed the offer for Manchester?
But if I don't get the course in adjustment , will I be able to chose between Manchester (firm) and keele (insurance) as i want to go keele if I don't get the adjustment course?

Or do you think i should call keele to ask if they could take back the 'unconditional if firm'?
Reply 5
Original post by MissMaz1
Hey, thought I'll put some input as I know that Keele Pharmacy course gets booked up quiet quickly. If you were to choose the Pharmacy course I don't know how it would go by changing but an interview for pharmacy would be needed, as a guess as the questions are not general science based questions in the pharmacy interview.

About the Unconditional offer I'm unsure if you were going to drop the offer they gave you how you could apply for other courses. Clearing is an option I know of however it's quite early to be thinking about that. Call Ucas, they are always helpful.

Thanks for that.
Can we also email UCAS as I get anxious over the phone...?
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
Nope once you accept an unconditional you have to go there

It's so annoying :frown: can the university take back the unconditional offer if I request so?
Original post by LunaCat
Oh no :frown: what if I put my firm as manchester University for example, and keele as my insurance (so then it won't be unconditional anymore), can I go into adjustment if I exceed the offer for Manchester?
But if I don't get the course in adjustment , will I be able to chose between Manchester (firm) and keele (insurance) as i want to go keele if I don't get the adjustment course?

Or do you think i should call keele to ask if they could take back the 'unconditional if firm'?

If you want to swap to Pharmacy at Keele then you need to talk to them now to arrange that - adjustment isn't the best route.

You don't get to choose between your firm and insurance - if your firm accepts you (even if you missed the offer conditions) then your insurance choice is notified and will not be obliged to hold you a place.
Original post by LunaCat

If Manchester is your firm, and you exceed the offer grades, your place at Keele will be automatically rejected, so you wouldn't automatically be able to go to Keele.

I doubt Keele will take back the "unconditional if firm" as it works to the uni's favour to have more accurate ideas of student numbers for September.

It would be better to try and find a place on a course you want now, rather than trying to sort it out on results day.
Reply 9
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If Manchester is your firm, and you exceed the offer grades, your place at Keele will be automatically rejected, so you wouldn't automatically be able to go to Keele.

I doubt Keele will take back the "unconditional if firm" as it works to the uni's favour to have more accurate ideas of student numbers for September.

It would be better to try and find a place on a course you want now, rather than trying to sort it out on results day.

How do i find a place om the course now?

Thanks btw
Original post by LunaCat

Thanks btw

Ring keele and ask them whether you can be considered for it.
Original post by LunaCat

Thanks btw

You can firstly contact the unis who have given you offers to see if they will consider you for another course. If the answer is no, you can then see if there are any courses available via UCAS Extra that would suit you.

If you can't find anything using these routes, you might have to wait for clearing/adjustment.
Original post by PQ
Ring keele and ask them whether you can be considered for it.

I wanna do optometry at Manchester though, i did apply for biochemistry at Manchester as well, but got rejected because I couldn't attend the interview. Would they consider swapping my biochemistry (rejection) with optometry? Or is it only if I had an offer?
Sorry im making this so complicated for you :frown:
You can firstly contact the unis who have given you offers to see if they will consider you for another course. If the answer is no, you can then see if there are any courses available via UCAS Extra that would suit you.

If you can't find anything using these routes, you might have to wait for clearing/adjustment.

Thank you!
Original post by LunaCat
I wanna do optometry at Manchester though, i did apply for biochemistry at Manchester as well, but got rejected because I couldn't attend the interview. Would they consider swapping my biochemistry (rejection) with optometry? Or is it only if I had an offer?

You have to ask them. I don’t know what they will say but if you don’t ask then they have no idea that you’re interested in a different course.
Original post by PQ
You have to ask them. I don’t know what they will say but if you don’t ask then they have no idea that you’re interested in a different course.

Ah okay, I'll email both optometry and biochemistry department about it and see what they say then
Original post by LunaCat

Is optometry at Manchester in extra at all? If it is, it's worth an email. Otherwise, if it's full already, they probably won't consider you at this stage.
Is optometry at Manchester in extra at all? If it is, it's worth an email. Otherwise, if it's full already, they probably won't consider you at this stage.

Omg yes!! It's in extra

wait does ucas have a tool that searches for courses that are available through extra? because I think I just searched for the normal courses here https://digital.ucas.com/search
Reply 19
Original post by LunaCat
wait does ucas have a tool that searches for courses that are available through extra? because I think I just searched for the normal courses here https://digital.ucas.com/search
There is no search facility for "normal" courses as the deadline has passed. You can only search Extra at the moment. Your course is there so get in touch with them asap to see if they will give you an offer.

I assume that you realise you have to decline all other offers to use Extra.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending