The Student Room Group

Driving test

I was Thinking about appealing my driving test but dont know if it is compulsory to apply the handbrake at a stop sign if i only stopped for a couple seconds then moved away??
I don't think you need the handbrake, as long as it isn't a hill or something.... Just as long as you actually stop and look before you move, i don't believe the handbrake is needed.
Original post by Callumm2922
I was Thinking about appealing my driving test but dont know if it is compulsory to apply the handbrake at a stop sign if i only stopped for a couple seconds then moved away??

You do if it’s on a hill (especially if another car is behind you).

If it’s not on a hill then you can just stop for a few seconds by holding it at the bite (assuming you’re taking the manual driving test and not automatic).

Hi Callum
Sadly, the old style test requires you to apply the handbrake. Save your breath, have another go. Learn from your mistakes. Same happened to me. I learned to pay attention to details, no matter how small and insignificant they might seem. You'll nail it next time around!
Original post by OldMan17
Hi Callum
Sadly, the old style test requires you to apply the handbrake. Save your breath, have another go. Learn from your mistakes. Same happened to me. I learned to pay attention to details, no matter how small and insignificant they might seem. You'll nail it next time around!

Old style? It’s the new one he’s taking isn’t it?

Although I don’t think any rulings about that have changed so fair enough.
Original post by accountant-future
Old style? It’s the new one he’s taking isn’t it?

Although I don’t think any rulings about that have changed so fair enough.

Hope you're right :smile:

If you appeal, at best you would get a free retest and you could have the same examiner for the next test.

I'm guessing you didn't come to a full and complete stop at a STOP sign which would be a serious fault in a test and is a traffic offence.

To correct those who have said otherwise: you do NOT need to apply the handbrake at all at a STOP sign, or even for a hill start. The important thing is you remain in control of the car, so for a hill start it would be highly advisable - but not essential or required - to use the handbrake. If the only time you use the handbrake is to release it at the start of the test and apply it at the end and you do not lose control then that's perfectly acceptable.

Some instructors will guide people to use the handbrake at a STOP to show you've come to a stop, but this is not a test requirement. All that matters is you come to a complete stop and don't just roll over the line very very slowly. I personally don't insist on handbrake as I drill it into my learners that they must come to that complete stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending