The Student Room Group

UK requirements

If i choose to apply to UK, what would be more preferable choosing academics over an inter-school debate or vice versa?
Original post by mariamalik260801
If i choose to apply to UK, what would be more preferable choosing academics over an inter-school debate or vice versa?

I literally have no clue what you're talking about.
Original post by Greatleysteg
I literally have no clue what you're talking about.

What i mean is, if you had an option to prepare for an inter school debate which is just 15 days before your AS levels. What would be more preferable when applying to UK? A super strong academic oriented student or a student who is average at academics but also has extracurricular at hand.
Original post by mariamalik260801
What i mean is, if you had an option to prepare for an inter school debate which is just 15 days before your AS levels. What would be more preferable when applying to UK? A super strong academic oriented student or a student who is average at academics but also has extracurricular at hand.

I see. Generally speaking, there's no question: academics are far more important than extracurriculars, if it's a toss-up between the two. Even in the US, where more weight is placed on ECs, you still need the bread-and-butter of strong academics.

You should consider whether it is really the case that you have no extracurriculars, and so you feel you need to get involved with this debate, even though it's only 15 days before your exams begin, in order to have something to talk about in your applications?

Also, when and where will you be applying to study in the UK? And what course? Will debating be looked particularly favourably upon by assessors?

Do you feel as though your grades will be heavily impacted by participating in this debate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending