The Student Room Group

Is my new housemate HIV positive? how do i approach him about it?

Scroll to see replies

You’re completely over-reacting. First of all, medical information is subject to legal privilege. He is not required to tell anyone he doesn’t need to, that includes the police, they do not get access to medical records. Secondly you’re fine, I work with HIV positive samples in a Haematology laboratory and if I haven’t gotten it then you certainly won’t!
Original post by CookieButter
if you had a basic level of medical knowledge which clearly you don't you would know that HIV patients are immunosuppressed.

If you had a basic level of medical knowledge, which clearly you don't, you would know that HIV positive patients are not immunosuppressed but immunocompromised. If you are going to insult other people about their level of knowledge, at least make your own arguments credible.

That's because you probably work around invasive procedures and I stated that clearly in the comments above. People with infectious diseases undergoing all examinations require control procedures to be carried out to reduce their risk of conducting a disease or spreading their disease to others...including examinations that are none invasive. This is part of standard protocol for patients with HIV. These procedures are not carried out for patients that do not have HIV.

This is rubbish. No extra precautions are needed to listen to somebody's chest or examine their abdomen if they have HIV. If they are immunocompromised - yes, you would wear personal protective equipment to protect them, just as you would for somebody who is immunocompromised for another reason. It would not be to stop them spreading HIV.

Assuming you really work in a hospital I worry for the people that you work with. In this country hospital born infections are a major cause of mortality and the government has over the past twenty years been involved educating people on all levels and spreading awareness about infectious diseases in hospitals. Informing people about risks allows people to take precautions for these risks and to limit them. This is what has helped slash infection rates for MRSA, pneumonia etc inside hospitals in the UK...

How can you compare a blood-borne virus to MRSA and pneumonia? They have very different modes of transmission and very different risks of being transmitted in a hospital environment!
DO NOT tell the other housemates. It's absolutely none of your business. You don't even know if he has it. Leave the poor guy alone. You aren't going to catch HIV from him.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It's impossible to get infected with HIV with a kiss.

You may catch a cold, however.

If he has a cut and person he kisses has a cut in mouth, blood can seep in transferring the hiv virus. So saying it it can never happen is untrue
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Would you kiss a + person while you both have bleeding gums?

Yes.
Original post by SMEGGGY
If he has a cut and person he kisses has a cut in mouth, blood can seep in transferring the hiv virus. So saying it it can never happen is untrue

Considering the fact that there has never even been a confirmed case of oral sex transmission HIV, only people and agencies who are in danger of getting sued would say it's possible.
So how many drops of blood do you need? You don’t know. I really only said that if the blood of an infected person gets in your body then you could get infected. I don’t know what I’ve said that is so wrong in your books

You're encouraging irrational fear.

A "drop of blood" is an expression, there's no definition on how much a "drop" is, and thus you can't tell "how many drops" exactly you will "need".

There's also the situation of a 1 in a trillion chance and a 1 in 10 chance. Both you would say you could get infected, but we both know it'd be irrational to worry about the former.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
You're encouraging irrational fear.

A "drop of blood" is an expression, there's no definition on how much a "drop" is, and thus you can't tell "how many drops" exactly you will "need".

There's also the situation of a 1 in a trillion chance and a 1 in 10 chance. Both you would say you could get infected, but we both know it'd be irrational to worry about the former.

I don’t see how it’s irrational. If they were not on any medication then wouldn’t that make them highly infectious ?
Reply 108
Assuming you really work in a hospital I worry for the people that you work with. In this country hospital born infections are a major cause of mortality and the government has over the past twenty years been involved educating people on all levels and spreading awareness about infectious diseases in hospitals. Informing people about risks allows people to take precautions for these risks and to limit them. This is what has helped slash infection rates for MRSA, pneumonia etc inside hospitals in the UK...

Sounds more like you have low standards for healthcare. Wearing gloves should always be commonplace within a healthcare setting.
I don’t see how it’s irrational. If they were not on any medication then wouldn’t that make them highly infectious ?

So OP found medication, yet their flatmate isn't on medication...?

Anyway, it depends. If they were not on any medication, they may or may not be highly infectious.

First 3 months = yes
After first 3 months = depends on viral load
Original post by lowtestbeta
just don't kiss him

HIV is not transmitted by kisses... But with unprotected sex
Okay I am HIV Neg and i am on Tenofovir as a Pre Exposure Profolatic Med aka PrEP.

This med has 3 uses:

taken all the time on its own to reduce the risk of HIV Neg people getiing HIV

Taken along with another med for 28 days if you beliave you have been exposed to HIV - its an equivalent to a Gay morning after pill

Taken possibly with other meds to traet HIV.

sex with some one with HIV but on meds and their count is under control is safer then sex with some one the does not know their HIV status - for a start they are tested all the time and not just for HIV.

As with any advise do not exposue your self to bodly fluids of any sort in order to avoid infections.
if some one / any one is cut and bleeding hen its best to put on med gloves before helping them.

If you do get exposed any any time by accident or through sex go to your local hospital A&E and they will give you Post Exposure Meds - but it MUST be as soon as poss
Reply 112
I sure this has already been said, but I’d follow these three steps

1) Educate yourself on the subject (this is important regardless of his status). Not saying that you’re not already, but it’s always good to try and learn as much as possible.
2) Do not confront them on the matter or discuss this with other people, particularly those they are connected with.
3 Demonstrate that you are not prejudice against the those living with HIV and AIDS. At least then they know they know you are an ally, even if they never discuss it with you. An effective and natural way of doing this would be criticising the way that governments are defunding education and prevention programmes. Much easier to work into a conversation than you would think, especially if you’re into politics.
It's not really any of your business and how often do you come in contact with a housemate's bodily fluids anyway?
Even if for some reason he decided to stab you with a needle he'd previously be shooting up with, there's anti-HIV medication you can take before 72 hours of exposure.
Either way, none of your business and he probably doesn't want to talk to you about it
I sincerely hope you aren't studying medicine.I mean come on, if you can't handle a simple google search to find out that it isn't that easy to catch HIV (unless unprotected sex, sharing needles or plan on becoming blood brothers) then harvard referencing will blow your mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
if he is on tenofovir then he is being treated, medication for HIV and AIDs have become so advanced that its impossible for you to contract it from him

actually, you are more likely to catch HIV from someone untreated with a condom than someone being medicated without a condom

Just be careful about blood and other fluids, since he knows his status he will be extremely careful if he spills blood

there is a huge stigma about HIV, its gotten to the point where its not as dangerous as it used to be anymore (even doctors have said they would rather have HIV than diabetes!)
Original post by Lucas1Wright
Is Tenofovir used for HIV treatment? Is my new housemate HIV positive?
He recently moved in with us, I suspected he wasn't quite right, health wise and after discovering his medication, i am worried that he may have HIV and didn't inform us all, I have not mention anything to the other housemates as of yet, am just worried of sharing things with him, am i overreacting? how do i approach him about it?

In a bio-suit with a long sink plunger.
I assume! My flatmate is gay and I just found this medicine in public bin in a kitchen! I am freaking out!
If he's on tenofovir he may be on it to prevent becoming infected with HIV.
Alternatively if he is HIV positive and is being treated with tenofovir he is likely unable to transmit HIV because the treatment reduces HIV levels in the blood to such low levels they are literally undetectable.
He probably hasn't told you about it because people are still so prejudiced about it he would find it hard to find somewhere to live without judgement.
Having someone aware of their HIV status is actually very safe because they will be extremely aware of all the ways it can be transmitted, unlike OP who seems not to fully understand how low the risks are. If you want to talk to him about it at least educate yourself so you don't come across cruel. If this person is HIV+ they don't deserve to be treated cruelly just because of social stigma when they are acting sensibly and treating it.
fyi: (this is from an HIV website not me)
HIV cannot be passed on by:
kissing
hugging
shaking hands
sharing space with someone
sharing a toilet
sharing household items such as cups, plates, cutlery, or bed linen
any other general social contact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending