The Student Room Group

UGSAS Questions

Hi there, I have a few questions about joining the UGSAS.

Firstly, does anyone have any idea of how competitive this particular one is? I spent my entire school career focusing on exams and school and so I don't have any sports accomplishments tbh, nothing but basic hobbies like horse riding which I've only ever done for fun.

Secondly, do they look for people studying particular degrees? You know, aeronautical engineering and the likes that would relate to being a pilot? Or would I have the same chance even though I'm studying Spanish and English Literature?

Thirdly, I know it's not mandatory to join the RAF but that is my goal for when I finish uni. Are they looking for people that are going for officer/pilot roles, or would I be justified in saying that I'm aiming for the role of WSOp Linguist?
Reply 1
Original post by Shannonw151198

Firstly, does anyone have any idea of how competitive this particular one is? I spent my entire school career focusing on exams and school and so I don't have any sports accomplishments tbh, nothing but basic hobbies like horse riding which I've only ever done for fun.

Secondly, do they look for people studying particular degrees? You know, aeronautical engineering and the likes that would relate to being a pilot? Or would I have the same chance even though I'm studying Spanish and English Literature?

Thirdly, I know it's not mandatory to join the RAF but that is my goal for when I finish uni. Are they looking for people that are going for officer/pilot roles, or would I be justified in saying that I'm aiming for the role of WSOp Linguist?

They're all competitive. Figure at least 4 or 5 applicants per vacancy.

No specific degree required. On my UAS we had people going for Engineering, for Physics, for Geography, for Architecture, for Theology, for Portuguese...

RAF entry is more important these days, they are looking for people to join afterwards. Don't be surprised if, when looking at WSOp L, that they maybe suggest you look at IntO, but any trade is better than none.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I'm also wondering is there anything stopping people from applying to the UAS, URNU, and UTOC at the same time?

With competition being so high for the UAS I'm worried about not getting in, and whilst the UAS would be my clear first choice I figure it's better to be in one of them rather than waiting another whole year to apply again and perhaps being unsuccessful again.

Would this look bad to the UAS and make them question my commitment and motivation or is it fairly common practice?
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I'm also wondering is there anything stopping people from applying to the UAS, URNU, and UTOC at the same time?

With competition being so high for the UAS I'm worried about not getting in, and whilst the UAS would be my clear first choice I figure it's better to be in one of them rather than waiting another whole year to apply again and perhaps being unsuccessful again.

Would this look bad to the UAS and make them question my commitment and motivation or is it fairly common practice?

Nothing to stop you, but it would be a little unusual and would possibly / likely be conflicting. Each units application / joining process is different and takes different amounts of time.
Reply 4
Hey, I should be able to help you out here as I’m a current member. The squadron is reasonably competitive to join with less than 1 in 3 being accepted. This shouldn’t put you off applying though as long as you assert yourself, meet the fitness criteria etc. In the interview it is good to have a few things that you can talk about such as charity work, times you have demonstrated leadership, etc.They are not looking for particular degrees however there is a greater number of engineers. This is simply because there’s a greater proportion of eng roles in the RAF and so there is a larger pool of applicants to the squadron bc it’s a route to those jobs. With wanting to be a WSop Linguist you should be able to back yourself up and in any case there are students of many disciplines in the squadron outside of STEM. As for roles the function of the UAS is to attract young people primarily to officer roles and those that require further education however there are WSOs that are officers and intelligence also needs those who can speak foreign languages so I’d look into that. The main thing that people fail on though is fitness. The RAF pre joining fitness test should not be difficult to a physically active and capable person however it is the greatest barrier to many people’s application as you will not be interviewed without first passing or only narrowly missing the cutoff and if you are inducted to the squadron you will have to sit it again to confirm your standards and get it registered with the RAF. Hope this answers your questions.
Reply 5

You can apply for a Bursary for WSOp Linguist if you so wish; they are available. Just make sure that you pass the MLAT and WSOp Linguist Aptitude test before going to OASC to compete for a Bursary.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest