The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RogerOxon
Read what I wrote.

Unfortunately, I did.

If you feel the adverts are misrepresenting the forces, feel free to report them to ofcom. Let's see how far you get with that.
you may be required to kill fellow Muslims in battle. that is something to consider.
No. Crashing a car and dying is not the expected outcome of owning a car. Being a soldier, you should expect to shoot and be shot at - it's the basic purpose of the job. You obviously hope that you won't be needed to kill others, or be killed, but you do know that it's your role.

Lol, you have clearly got absolutely no idea about roles in the Armed Forces! It's only the direct role of a few trades and a few positions. I spent 17 years flying military aircraft and I'd have faced much more risk if I'd been an HGV driver. I also saved many more lives on the way.
Standards issue of people getting the infantry mixed up with the rest of the British army and its trades.
Original post by moonkatt
Standards issue of people getting the infantry mixed up with the rest of the British army and its trades.

If anything it highlights a need for more army ads to show a variety of roles, and not just the soldier in war understanding that the general public stereotypes!
Original post by cat_mac
If anything it highlights a need for more army ads to show a variety of roles, and not just the soldier in war understanding that the general public stereotypes!

They do, but the amount of money it would cost to produce 60+ adverts is insane...
Original post by Drewski
They do, but the amount of money it would cost to produce 60+ adverts is insane...

Don't all roles in the army have to do exercise training as basic training even if they are training to be a chef or something in the logistics or something similar? so a soldier on a training exercise on an ad would be applicable to most roles? sorry if that's wrong i dont have military experience am just fascinated by military history etc
Original post by CoolCavy
Don't all roles in the army have to do exercise training as basic training even if they are training to be a chef or something in the logistics or something similar? so a soldier on a training exercise on an ad would be applicable to most roles? sorry if that's wrong i dont have military experience am just fascinated by military history etc

Yep, everyone knows and gets taught the basics, but the overwhelming majority won't really do anything more than their refresher training once a year.
Original post by threeportdrift
Lol, you have clearly got absolutely no idea about roles in the Armed Forces!

Nice.

I was referring to one advert, that was for infantry (a guy trying to get into a vehicle that was driven forward so that he couldn't).

I spent 17 years flying military aircraft and I'd have faced much more risk if I'd been an HGV driver.

Do you have any evidence for that claim? It sounds surprising to me, but I don't have the statistics.

I also saved many more lives on the way.

Don't get me wrong - the armed forces fill a vital role. It's not all laughing and joking though, unlike the advert that I saw.
Original post by moonkatt

Standard issue of people assuming that others don't know that ..
I don't agree with it , but yes you can...there's a TV advert which campaigns this.
Do you have any evidence for that claim? It sounds surprising to me, but I don't have the statistics.

Can't find specific aircrew stats, but the general Armed Forces mortality rates are available here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/603600/20170330_UK_Deaths_National_Statistic_2017_O.pdf

Deaths for HGV drivers here

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/ras20-drivers-riders-and-vehicles-in-reported-road-accidents#excel-data-tables-for-ras20

Broadly declining from about 458 pa in 2006 to 273 in 2016.

I'd take my chances in a Hercules anyday!
Islamically speaking there's no problem with it. The only people who would have a problem are salafi/wahhabi cranks e.g. Anjem Choudhary types.

If you look at the roles on the Army website there is such a wide variety of roles that would appeal to different peoples liking e.g. from a Tank Crewman to Biomedical Scientist to a Legal Officer. There are literally hundreds of different roles out there. People mistakenly think that all there is to the army is being a infantryman.

I'm also Muslim (Male) and of Pakistani origin. I've been thinking of joining the Army Reserve but have been hesitating and worried that i'd get the p*ss taken out of me once the recruiters and/or fellow soldiers lay eyes on me.
Original post by JJAkotcha
I've been thinking of joining the Army Reserve but have been hesitating and worried that i'd get the p*ss taken out of me once the recruiters and/or fellow soldiers lay eyes on me.

Can guarantee that wouldn't be the case.

As is likely with any group of guys, there will be 'banter' among equals, but the Army is a lot hotter on the bullying side than they used to be. There's a line that people don't cross. Don't let that fear hold you back from at least investigating the possibility.
Reply 54
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
I think you've misunderstood my post. Soldiers in the army have to follow a strict dress code and under certain circumstances the hijab will have to be removed as a matter of policy, same for the turban or any other religious head dress.

I hope that clears it up :smile:
The hijab only has to be removed where it would interfere with some essential operational headwear, like a helmet - so the issue of covering the hair is not compromised.
Original post by Sani882
I’m 15 years old, nearly 16, and I am a practising Muslim. Both my parents follow Islam and I have always been brought up to follow the religion. I do love my religion and I am a strong believer of equality and helping others. I’ve been interested in the army for a long time but always been told that either I couldn’t because I’m a girl, or because of my religion. I’m school we have been talking about going to war in r.s and it says that in Islam if that if we are told by our government to fight in a just war then we can. I’m just confused on whether I should or shouldn’t. I’ve only read about men who have joined the army and that it’s fine, so Is it the same for women?

If someone could answer this I’d be extremely great full.

P.s if I have stated anything that’s wrong or anything then I apologise it’s just what I’ve been taught.

Of course you can join the army. Hundreds of Muslims fought in the World Wars for Britain. Also, there are lots of roles you can do in the army. My friend works in HR for the army.
Reply 56
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Within reason... If you're getting shot at or you complete undivided attention is needed then no, you won't be allowed to pray.
Every Islamic obligation can be foregone in case of necessity, so it's not a matter of "missing" prayer if you are in a combat situation.
Reply 57
Original post by ANM775
What does the Quran say about joining the army, i'm curious...?.
It doesn't say anything specifically, as there was no standing army in 7th century Arabia. However, it does say that Muslims are required to fight when called upon - so this would probably apply to any Muslim who has joined the armed forces.
Reply 58
Original post by QE2
It doesn't say anything specifically, as there was no standing army in 7th century Arabia. However, it does say that Muslims are required to fight when called upon - so this would probably apply to any Muslim who has joined the armed forces.

Almostly instantly after I made that post it was temporarily removed, then a long long time later it was put back EDITED

had my original post been left in-tact your answer would be quite a bit different

tbh, I don't see why they removed stuff from my original post. They'd of been better off deleting it tbh than butchering it.....
Reply 59
Original post by ANM775
Almostly instantly after I made that post it was temporarily removed, then a long long time later it was put back EDITED

had my original post been left in-tact your answer would be quite a bit different

tbh, I don't see why they removed stuff from my original post. They'd of been better off deleting it tbh than butchering it.....
What was your original question?

Latest