The Student Room Group

fee status query

Hi I recently got an offer from King College but was given overseas fee status despite being a British Citizen maybe because I have been living outside the UK for the last few years due to my fathers business.
In the UKCISA website it is mentioned students aged 16-18 years old in the funding year has no residence requirement if they are a citizen of EEA.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6083
I turn 19 this October but my course starts from September when I will still be 18 so am I eligible for this ?
Original post by samiu12
Hi I recently got an offer from King College but was given overseas fee status despite being a British Citizen maybe because I have been living outside the UK for the last few years due to my fathers business.
In the UKCISA website it is mentioned students aged 16-18 years old in the funding year has no residence requirement if they are a citizen of EEA.
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6083
I turn 19 this October but my course starts from September when I will still be 18 so am I eligible for this ?

KCL don’t offer FE courses. You need to look at the HE rules
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6082

Have you completed a fee assessment for KCL? If you can prove ordinary residence in the uk (because the stay abroad is temporary) then they may revise your fee status.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
KCL don’t offer FE courses. You need to look at the HE rules
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6082

Have you completed a fee assessment for KCL? If you can prove ordinary residence in the uk (because the stay abroad is temporary) then they may revise your fee status.

yes I did but does the 3 year residence period requires you to stay there just before the course starts or at any point of your life?
Original post by samiu12
yes I did but does the 3 year residence period requires you to stay there just before the course starts or at any point of your life?

Is it an undergraduate course?

I forgot about this thread.
The bit you quote is to do with FE education and I assume you are applying to KCL for a degree level course, which is HE. It wont apply to your application.

You need to be resident for the three whole years prior to 1 Sept in the year the course starts. Temporary absences are allowed if you can show an intention to return.
Original post by samiu12

3 years before the course.
Original post by samiu12

You can be living on the moon for over a decade ad still be classed as ordinarily resident in the uk if you can prove that the absence was temporary and you maintained close links with the uk. Ordinary residence does not require you to be physically living in the uk.
Reply 6
Sorry guys I didn't see the FE part. Anyways I lived more than 6 years in UK but came back here 4-5 years ago for my dad's business and I'll be going back right after I finish my A Levels. I'm not sure whether the requirement is to reside there the immediate 3 years before I join the course ( in my case my course starts this September but last 3 years I was out of UK). So am I still eligible ?
Reply 7
I did I showed them my fathers tax payments in the UK for the last 5 years, bank statements in Uk etc. but in my offer letter they mentioned that according to their assessment I am not eligible.

Original post by PQ
You can be living on the moon for over a decade ad still be classed as ordinarily resident in the uk if you can prove that the absence was temporary and you maintained close links with the uk. Ordinary residence does not require you to be physically living in the uk.
Original post by samiu12
Sorry guys I didn't see the FE part. Anyways I lived more than 6 years in UK but came back here 4-5 years ago for my dad's business and I'll be going back right after I finish my A Levels. I'm not sure whether the requirement is to reside there the immediate 3 years before I join the course ( in my case my course starts this September but last 3 years I was out of UK). So am I still eligible ?

Read what I posted.

What do you mean by going right back? To live with your dad or to live in the UK?

I dont think you are. I would say KCL have it correct unless you prodcue evidence to change their opinion of your relationship with the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Read what I posted.

What do you mean by going right back? To live with your dad or to live in the UK?

I dont think you are. I would say KCL have it correct unless you prodcue evidence to change their opinion of your relationship with the UK.

No my dad lives here in Bangladesh and as I was a minor until now I had to obviously stay with my parents but since I became 18 I don't have to anymore so I'm shifting back to the UK. Could you also please elaborate on what I need to show for my relationship with the UK.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending