The Student Room Group

Mum asking if I’m studying makes me really angry

I’m not quite sure why, but every time my mum says to me “don’t forget to study” or “remember your GCSEs are in two months” it makes me really, really angry to the point I’m nearly in tears.

Like I just want to scream at her “how the **** can I just forget about my GCSEs??????” (obviously I would never shout at her like that)

It makes me really angry and I have no idea why.
I think it’s because I’m so stressed about them that when she “reminds” (as if I can just forget about important exams??????????) me it almost feels like she doesn’t know how I feel and it’s quite mocking.
Then when she asks me if I’m studying that makes me SO mad because I am - just last night she came in my room while I was revising maths yet today she asked me if I have been studying.

Does anybody else feel like this or is it just me? Do you have an explanation?
Wish my parents were like that.
They aren't supportive at all.
Count yourself lucky - you have someone who cares about how you do in your exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not quite sure why, but every time my mum says to me “don’t forget to study” or “remember your GCSEs are in two months” it makes me really, really angry to the point I’m nearly in tears.

Like I just want to scream at her “how the **** can I just forget about my GCSEs??????” (obviously I would never shout at her like that)

I think it’s because I’m so stressed about them that when she “reminds” (as if I can just forget about important exams??????????) me it almost feels like she doesn’t know how I feel and it’s quite mocking.
Then when she asks me if I’m studying that makes me SO mad because I am - just last night she came in my room while I was revising maths yet today she asked me if I have been studying.

Ahhh to be that age again 😂 yep, when I did my GCSEs (and during my A Levels too annoyingly) I would get that look off my mum/dad if I was ever doing anything other than revising, like I should be doing it every minute of every day.
Now I’m at university (and if I’m doing work at home) they leave me to it. It’s an age thing don’t worry. If anything they think I’m in my room studying too much but this counts more I guess haha. It’ll pass.
Yh always get that sarcastic phrase from my mum 'Good lad, don't revise- We'll find out in June' ahahaha I'm just fml I just came down to grab some food shiiiiish haha but they mean good tho! :smile:

I used to feel the same way, but you need to understand she has your best interests at heart, she simply wants you to do well, she has made a commitment and leaving you to your own decisions can be difficult for a mother. Perhaps tolerate it a bit more and convince her that you are comfortable with your studies. At university, this will go so just deal with it for another 2 years or so.
Original post by irrelevant kid
Count yourself lucky - you have someone who cares about how you do in your exams.

I'm sorry to hear that, you are seriously worrying me, with the anxiety and unsupportive parents, fight through it.
It was the opposite for me, I used to revise so much my mum would shout at me to stop and do something else (like the housework 🙂)
Reply 7
Original post by irrelevant kid

My parents are over supportive....

If I get less than 95% on a test... Do more revision, not good enough, should be aiming for 100%(especially in my best subjects), and it doesn't help that I am an extreme perfectionist(39/42 signs of extreme perfectionism, and the 39/42 annoys me so much for more than one reason).... Supportive doesn't always mean helpful.
Original post by TastyChicken
I'm sorry to hear that, you are seriously worrying me, with the anxiety and unsupportive parents, fight through it.

Don't worry about me, dude - I'm getting through it.

Original post by Zoqua
My parents are over supportive....

If I get less than 95% on a test... Do more revision, not good enough, should be aiming for 100%(especially in my best subjects), and it doesn't help that I am an extreme perfectionist(39/42 signs of extreme perfectionism, and the 39/42 annoys me so much for more than one reason).... Supportive doesn't always mean helpful.

Didn't say it did. But your anecdote isn't what the OP is saying. I was just saying not to take it for granted that somebody truly cares. Sorry about your situation.

I totally agree, annoys me when they always ask how studying is going as well and when they say I do a lot.
Ngl probably bc I feel guilty for not doing enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending