The Student Room Group

What Weights should i get ???

I am a 17 Year Old Boy.I want to start gaining more muscle mass on my arms and get fitter overall.What is the best way to achieve this ? I have never done weights before, what type should i buy and what KG should i start off with ? I dont want something too easy, maybe more medium-mid range as i like getting thrown in the deep end

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm the same age as you and have been going to the gym for around 3 months. I say start off with 8kg dumbbells, and then once you get comfortable with it you can increase the rep range. I'm currently lifting 12.5kg dumbbells right now, and it took me time just to get up to that weight range. And since you want to get bigger arms, I say dumbells are the way to go mate.
Reply 2
Original post by YngSage
I'm the same age as you and have been going to the gym for around 3 months. I say start off with 8kg dumbbells, and then once you get comfortable with it you can increase the rep range. I'm currently lifting 12.5kg dumbbells right now, and it took me time just to get up to that weight range. And since you want to get bigger arms, I say dumbells are the way to go mate.

8 KG ? What is the normal weight you'd expect a 17/18 year old to do ? In terms of reps etc i aint a expert on that.How many times would i have to lift in a day ? How much time would i have to put on it, for example 3 days a week or maybe 4 ? When will i start to see small improvements on my muscle mass
Original post by Ty457
8 KG ? What is the normal weight you'd expect a 17/18 year old to do ? In terms of reps etc i aint a expert on that.How many times would i have to lift in a day ? How much time would i have to put on it, for example 3 days a week or maybe 4 ? When will i start to see small improvements on my muscle mass

normal would be about 8kg, slow but steady increase, then like the other user said, when your comfortable with it, either bump up the reps or increase the weight and reduce the reps by 3 (thats what my trainer made me do, idk why 3- thats just what i was told)
Just go to a gym? There’s only so far you’re going to go with a couple of dumbbells in your room.
Do bicep curls, pull ups, push ups, skull crushers etc. I'm gonna run a lot over summer holidays, but I do at least 2 hours of running per week now. That's what I am doing. I weighed 60 kg when I started and now I am 75 kg over the course of 1 and a half years. I want to be 90 kg though (through muscle but not fat duh:biggrin:)
Reply 6
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Just go to a gym? There’s only so far you’re going to go with a couple of dumbbells in your room.

I would be a little boy in a Gym compared to all the fully grown men their with their outstanding six packs.Tbh i dont even know the correct way to lift Weights properly, Treadmill is the only Gym Equipment which i dont need any assistance on
If you're absolutely serious about this then spend £2,000 on Olympic weights, a cage, mats and a nice 7 foot bar. If you're not then just buy a gym membership.
Original post by Ty457
I would be a little boy in a Gym compared to all the fully grown men their with their outstanding six packs.Tbh i dont even know the correct way to lift Weights properly, Treadmill is the only Gym Equipment which i dont need any assistance on

Fair enough, I understand it’s a bit intimidating! Is there a gym in your school you could use (or college)?

If you want a half decent workout at home get a bench, a set of 8kg and a set of 10kg dumbbells, and a pull up bar. Research proper form first so you don’t injure yourself!
Reply 9
Fair enough, I understand it’s a bit intimidating! Is there a gym in your school you could use (or college)?

If you want a half decent workout at home get a bench, a set of 8kg and a set of 10kg dumbbells, and a pull up bar. Research proper form first so you don’t injure yourself!

8 or 10 KG which one ?
Reply 10
Original post by Ty457

Normal weight for your age would 8kg - 14kg (I've seen people my age lift more tho, like 30kg dumbells). For reps it depends on what goals you want to achieve, this is what you want to do;

. 1 - 5 for STRENGTH
. 6 - 12 for MUSCLE GROWTH
. 12+ for ENDURANCE

As far as how many days a week you should work out, I'd say start off with 2 because it seems that you're a beginner, then bump it up to 4 times. Make sure each time you workout is intense so that you'll be able to reach your goals faster. Rest days are equally as important too, so remember to REST. I'd say lift once or twice a day, I lift once though because of time constraints. Seeing improvements largely is different to everyone, but in general I'd say in 2 - 4 months time with consistent and high intensity workouts you'll see improvements within that time period. Keep lifting!
Original post by Ty457
8 or 10 KG which one ?

Get a set where you can add more weight - with little plates.
Reply 12
Original post by Ty457

Those guys didn't walk in looking like that and knowing how to lift and probably didn't get to look lie that with a couple of DBs in their bedroom. Nobody really cares what random strangers are doing or what they look like. The things that are stopping you going are all in your head.

I get that it is intimidating but you'd be doing yourself a favour if you work on getting over it. You can get a programme, look online at how to do the lifts and take it slow if you want, just go in and do one new thing each time until you are doing the full programme.
Reply 13
Get a set where you can add more weight - with little plates.

Original post by BKS
Those guys didn't walk in looking like that and knowing how to lift and probably didn't get to look lie that with a couple of DBs in their bedroom. Nobody really cares what random strangers are doing or what they look like. The things that are stopping you going are all in your head.

I get that it is intimidating but you'd be doing yourself a favour if you work on getting over it. You can get a programme, look online at how to do the lifts and take it slow if you want, just go in and do one new thing each time until you are doing the full programme.

In terms of diet, my diet is very fast foodish.What kind of food should i have to benefit the Gym Work.I dont have particular access to all these Special Protein based Meals or Balanced diet meals.I am only a Teen.Also i want to lose a lot of belly fat, chin fat as well as gain muscle mass.What is the best way to Implement this ? One day Cardio,One day Weights then Rest etc Is this the best pattern to do.Is treadmill the best equipment for losing fat
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ty457
In terms of diet, my diet is very fast foodish.What kind of food should i have to benefit the Gym Work.I dont have particular access to all these Special Protein based Meals or Balanced diet meals.I am only a Teen.Also i want to lose a lot of belly fat, chin fat as well as gain muscle mass.What is the best way to Implement this ? One day Cardio,One day Weights then Rest etc Is this the best pattern to do.Is treadmill the best equipment for losing fat

read the FAQ at the top of the fitness pager. It covers the basics then ask if you need to know something more specific
Reply 15
Original post by BKS
read the FAQ at the top of the fitness pager. It covers the basics then ask if you need to know something more specific

What is the best effective way to lose belly fat is what i want to know ? I have a lot of stretch marks which i dont know if is a bad sign or not
Reply 16
Original post by YngSage
Normal weight for your age would 8kg - 14kg (I've seen people my age lift more tho, like 30kg dumbells). For reps it depends on what goals you want to achieve, this is what you want to do;

. 1 - 5 for STRENGTH
. 6 - 12 for MUSCLE GROWTH
. 12+ for ENDURANCE

As far as how many days a week you should work out, I'd say start off with 2 because it seems that you're a beginner, then bump it up to 4 times. Make sure each time you workout is intense so that you'll be able to reach your goals faster. Rest days are equally as important too, so remember to REST. I'd say lift once or twice a day, I lift once though because of time constraints. Seeing improvements largely is different to everyone, but in general I'd say in 2 - 4 months time with consistent and high intensity workouts you'll see improvements within that time period. Keep lifting!

Their is one more thing i would like to know.Will my Growth in Height be affected in anyway by starting weights now ? I do not want my height to be stalled/affected because of weights ???
goodness you can get adjustable weigh dumbells then you wont have to buy any more weights as you progress. They cost about the same as well as well and if you look second hand there a pittance. for reference im 16 and curl 17.5 kg
If u wanna save money in the long term get dumbells with plates on them so you can change the weight easily and don’t have to buy new ones
Reply 19
Original post by jamesz173
goodness you can get adjustable weigh dumbells then you wont have to buy any more weights as you progress. They cost about the same as well as well and if you look second hand there a pittance. for reference im 16 and curl 17.5 kg

Height Growth and Weights, Will my Growth be affected by starting weights at 17

Quick Reply

Latest