The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by todeon
Well, completely out of the blue, today I got offered two scholarships from my College! And that means I'll be going to Cambridge for my PhD! Over the moon! Wasn't expecting this *at all*. Yay!!!!

Holy **** congratulations! I am SO happy for you! Can I ask which college/scholarships?

I'm guessing this is meaningless to ask, but any other Trust news from my people still holding out?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 401
Just now, I have received an offer for Cambridge Trust Scholarship. I am PhD in Chemistry. This combining with another scholarship from Trinity college, I am going to Cambridge! I guess the offers from trust are still rolling out. Best wishes everyone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by todeon
Well, completely out of the blue, today I got offered two scholarships from my College! And that means I'll be going to Cambridge for my PhD! Over the moon! Wasn't expecting this *at all*. Yay!!!!

Congratulations! Must be a wonderful feeling. I am excited for you!

I received news today that I won't be getting college funding but thankfully I have other alternatives. I honestly did not know that several attainable government scholarships existed until a few weeks ago so I know how you're feeling.
Reply 403
Original post by Gradgrrrrl
Holy **** congratulations! I am SO happy for you! Can I ask which college/scholarships?

I'm guessing this is meaningless to ask, but any other Trust news from my people still holding out?

THANK YOU! I am bowled over! And now a little drunk!

My college is Newnham, and the funding comes from the Onora O'Neill scholarship in Philosophy, and the Ferguson studentship.
Reply 404
Hi all,

I heard rumors that MPhil students are allowed to attend any first year modules. Is this true? Or is this only for certain courses?
Does anybody know anything about this?
Hi guys.

I emailed the Trust and asked if I'm being considered for funding and when they'll let me know. This is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email.

Your applications are are currently under consideration on our system for any scholarship you may be eligible from the Trust"

And they said applicants will hear by July.

Is this a generic email they send everyone, or does it mean they're actually considering me for funding?
Original post by todeon
THANK YOU! I am bowled over! And now a little drunk!

My college is Newnham, and the funding comes from the Onora O'Neill scholarship in Philosophy, and the Ferguson studentship.

Congratulations!
Original post by Phoenix04
Hi guys.

I emailed the Trust and asked if I'm being considered for funding and when they'll let me know. This is the response I got:

"Thank you for your email.

Your applications are are currently under consideration on our system for any scholarship you may be eligible from the Trust"

And they said applicants will hear by July.

Is this a generic email they send everyone, or does it mean they're actually considering me for funding?

Hi! I got the same email when I reached out to them, but I know some people are notified they are not being considered. I think that if your department nominated you, the trust has you on their "under consideration" list and you receive this email. So it is generic for those being considered but indicative that you are in fact in the running!
Original post by Gradgrrrrl
Hi! I got the same email when I reached out to them, but I know some people are notified they are not being considered. I think that if your department nominated you, the trust has you on their "under consideration" list and you receive this email. So it is generic for those being considered but indicative that you are in fact in the running!

Thank you for the info! That's great
Original post by Bongus
Hi all,

I heard rumors that MPhil students are allowed to attend any first year modules. Is this true? Or is this only for certain courses?
Does anybody know anything about this?

Any student can attend any lectures, except lab work and some medicine courses. You can only sit and listen, you can't participate in the essays/supervision elements, but the lectures are open. As a PhD student I did about 6 undergrad courses per term, nearly all the philosophy tripos, lots of history, some law, lots of international law, etc
Original post by threeportdrift
Any student can attend any lectures, except lab work and some medicine courses. You can only sit and listen, you can't participate in the essays/supervision elements, but the lectures are open. As a PhD student I did about 6 undergrad courses per term, nearly all the philosophy tripos, lots of history, some law, lots of international law, etc

Is it easy enough to get access to timetables etc so you can see what is on when?
Original post by bleepbloopbleep
Is it easy enough to get access to timetables etc so you can see what is on when?

Yes, there's a special edition of The Reporter that comes out at the beginning of term that gives details. There's a bit of a trick to reading it, but everything is there. Actually, iirc it comes out sometime in September, but you may need your CRSid to login in and find it. I think it might have stopped being printed a could of years ago - I haven't looked for it for a few years now. I'll have a hunt.

Scrub all that, it's been put online! https://2017-18.timetable.cam.ac.uk/

You just pick a course, look at the modules and can drop them into your own personal timetable. Still need a CRSid and to login though. It doesn't seem as much fun as browsing the Reporter was, but I guess it keeps up with changes, which the Reporter didn't at all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 412
Original post by threeportdrift

Thank you!
Reply 413
Got an offer for the masters in entrepreneurship. Anyone else? I’d love to chat with other offer holders!
Anyone else in Corpus Christi? :smile:
Any PhD in Politics and International Studies students here? Heard anything about funding? This wait from the trust is killing :banghead:
Original post by 2018gradapp

I am! For a PhD in Physiology, Development and Neuroscience :smile:
Original post by 2018gradapp

Me:wavey: Have you heard from them? I got accepted through the portal back in February but still nothing from them directly...
Original post by 236975879
Me:wavey: Have you heard from them? I got accepted through the portal back in February but still nothing from them directly...

I emailed them;
"Many thanks for your email it’s good to hear from you and don’t worry, you haven’t missed anything.
We will be writing to you by email later this month with an offer of single accommodation at or near Leckhampton, our postgraduate site. There is nothing you need to do yet to apply for accommodation. Once you’ve received the letter you just need to let us know your general preferences (i.e. rent range, ensuite/non-ensuite/a particular building). We will then write to you again in late August to let you know which room you have been allocated and to inform you of our induction events.
If you have any further questions please feel free to email or call me."
Original post by aleatorio
I am! For a PhD in Physiology, Development and Neuroscience :smile:

Original post by 236975879

Hello guys!! I’m in for my MPhil in Social Anthropology - and yep I haven’t heard from them yet either but thanks for the accom info I was beginning to worry!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending