The Student Room Group

God is another word for happiness

I believe in God but God means different things to different people. My God is literal happiness. Whatever happiness means is what God means. No other God exists as far as I'm concerned.

Please provide any questions or arguments that you can think of. I have tried to live an open-minded life and will continue to do so, and it makes me happy to hear other people all reflecting on the same topic!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please elaborate
Reply 2
What is your argument? I already acknowledge that God means different things for different people. That's not to say that everyone is correct though...
Reply 3
Thank you
It's like in primary school when people would call you gay but you would respond with. "gay means happy, so yh I'm happy"
It's nice and all, and not a new theory either like I often hear people say "God is love" and "God is forgiveness"

The only kind of gripe I have with it is that, I think it's a lil silly to try and define what God is, God is a concept, of a higher being or power sure, but a concept nonetheless. Yeah, you may perceive him to be the embodiment of happiness (which is lovely don't get me wrong) but I personally think it's a bit too simple and doesn't really answer the whole "how has humanity come to be/what is our purpose" debate lol

Also, if God is another word for happiness then doesn't that mean you worship happiness? Worshiping an emotion is a bit weird imo
(edited 5 years ago)
Posting to subscribe, as the opening post is interesting to me. Can't say I entirely agree with it, but tiz food for thought :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by basicallyshrek
It's nice and all, and not a new theory either like I often hear people say "God is love" and "God is forgiveness"

The only kind of gripe I have with it is that, I think it's a lil silly to try and define what God is, God is a concept, of a higher being or power sure, but a concept nonetheless. Yeah, you may perceive him to be the embodiment of happiness (which is lovely don't get me wrong) but I personally think it's a bit too simple and doesn't really answer the whole "how has humanity come to be/what is our purpose" debate lol

Also, if God is another word for happiness then doesn't that mean you worship happiness? Worshiping an emotion is a bit weird imo

There are many theories that explain how humanity came to be. I can't see how that's an argument against God being happiness.

You say happiness is an emotion, that is contradictory to my belief. Happiness is God. Pleasure and elation are the positive emotions some people mistake for happiness.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Posting to subscribe, as the opening post is interesting to me. Can't say I entirely agree with it, but tiz food for thought :smile:

Penny for your thoughts?
Reply 9
God is another word for silly, ancient, outdated nonsense.

It’s not real. However much you want to believe that it is real, it’s simply not real.
Original post by xylas
I believe in God but God means different things to different people. My God is literal happiness. Whatever happiness means is what God means. No other God exists as far as I'm concerned.

Please provide any questions or arguments that you can think of. I have tried to live an open-minded life and will continue to do so, and it makes me happy to hear other people all reflecting on the same topic!

Well personally I think god is just a made up fairytale for weak people to cling on to
Reply 11
Out of all the mythical characters, I prefer the Easter Bunny.
Reply 12
Original post by Thomazo
God is another word for silly, ancient, outdated nonsense.

It’s not real. However much you want to believe that it is real, it’s simply not real.

Original post by Anonymous
Well personally I think god is just a made up fairytale for weak people to cling on to

Original post by IWMTom
Out of all the mythical characters, I prefer the Easter Bunny.

Happiness isn't real? I suppose what you mean by God is nothing I am describing.
Original post by xylas
There are many theories that explain how humanity came to be. I can't see how that's an argument against God being happiness.

You say happiness is an emotion, that is contradictory to my belief. Happiness is God. Pleasure and elation are the positive emotions some people mistake for happiness.

But... The whole idea of God is that there may be a higher being/power who created everything we know for a purpose. It's one of the many theories that people believe along with the big bang and other stuff.

To say God is then happiness is a bit too simplistic. Instead you could say you worship happiness, or God is the embodiment of happiness to you. But to say God is another word for happiness doesn't really make sense to me tbh.

And of course happiness is an emotion that's how we know what it is, because we experience it. We feel, and then we called those feelings happiness, excitement, anger, jealousy etc etc

Am I just taking things too literally or something? 😂
another religious nut
Reply 15
Original post by xylas
Happiness isn't real? I suppose what you mean by God is nothing I am describing.

God isn't real.
Original post by xylas

Why would you just redefine a word? God, as in a supernatural being, like everyone else defines the word, is nonsense. Something that people with a weak mind who can’t escape their core beliefs cling on to.

Of course happiness is real. But it’s pointless to just redefine words to mean what you want them to.

I could redefine the word ”table” as meaning ”waffles” and live my life as if the word table means waffles. But where’s the point? It would certainly be easier to live my life as if the word table means table because it would lead to less unnecessary confusion.

You can’t change reality by arbitrarily redifining words. Words are just tools for communication, they only serve their purpose as long as we all agree what each word means.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xylas

dear i do really understant you and your difinition of happiness which is linked to God .firstly to be sincere with you i don't believe in God ,i was in the past years of my life for over then 18 years but now i don't believe at all.
hapiness is something that is relative its definition can be changed from one to another .hapiness can be created but by the person him slelf .there are 7 areas in every people's life you look on them and you try to be in balance in these areas in order to be happy in your life . if you have read what karle Max said about religion and its affects on people . people who have money they don't give a **** to religion they want to win to have money because be the winner bring them happiness anf fufill them so you should look for something that brings you hapiness instead of linking your life to the metaphisical creature that being imagined by nobles in order to controle you .
i hope my opinion was helpful to you and i wish all the best .remember you are great you need to find this greatness within you then everything will transformed in roses in your life
Original post by xylas
Penny for your thoughts?

Well the way I'm understanding you, anything that makes someone happy means they are encountering/experiencing God. My issue with that is that happiness is very subjective. So what if someone (for whatever reason) finds that killing someone makes them happy? I personally can't see how that is compatible with God as I personally understand Him... :dontknow:

Other than that it's a nice sentiment though :tongue:
Which religion are you, may I ask? I am JW

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending