The Student Room Group

applying for two courses for UCAS application

Is it bad two apply for two different courses at the same time. In my circumstance, I want to apply for dentistry but my grades do not meet it. However I really want to do it. Another option I have is applying for optometry ,which i do not mind and I meet the entry requirements, but i have my eyes set on dentistry. Will i still have the same chance as everyone else applying or would they see it as you are not dedicated?

Scroll to see replies

For a vocational and competitive course like dentistry, unis will want to see a focused PS.

When you talk about your grades, do you mean your predicted grades? If so, I'd suggest applying to optometry in September- then, if you exceed your predicted grades next August, you can take a year out and apply for dentistry. If you don't, obviously you can go for your optometry course instead.
Do you mean applying for dentistry at 4 universities and then 1 for optometry?

The maximum amount of applications you can make for dentistry is 4 so you have to choose a different 'back-up' option anyway. Most people opt for biomedicine or biochemistry etc. but you can choose optometry if you want.
I applied for dentistry and my back-up was optometry and I faced no obstacles. My main personal statement was focused entirely on dentistry (it has to be otherwise you stand no chance) so I emailed my optometry university a separate personal statement (with their permission of course) - you could do something similar.
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Do you mean applying for dentistry at 4 universities and then 1 for optometry?

The maximum amount of applications you can make for dentistry is 4 so you have to choose a different 'back-up' option anyway. Most people opt for biomedicine or biochemistry etc. but you can choose optometry if you want.
I applied for dentistry and my back-up was optometry and I faced no obstacles. My main personal statement was focused entirely on dentistry (it has to be otherwise you stand no chance) so I emailed my optometry university a separate personal statement (with their permission of course) - you could do something similar.

Oh okay i might do something similar. What unis did u appply to for
optometry and dentistry if you dont mind me asking? Also i was thinking of applying to two unis for dentistry and 2 for optometry
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
For a vocational and competitive course like dentistry, unis will want to see a focused PS.

When you talk about your grades, do you mean your predicted grades? If so, I'd suggest applying to optometry in September- then, if you exceed your predicted grades next August, you can take a year out and apply for dentistry. If you don't, obviously you can go for your optometry course instead.

I would do this however, i am really against doing a gap year.
Original post by BMNS3242
I would do this however, i am really against doing a gap year.

Why is this? It would probably be your best chance of getting on the course, and it's not uncommon for people applying for competitive courses to do this.
Reply 6
Why is this? It would probably be your best chance of getting on the course, and it's not uncommon for people applying for competitive courses to do this.

its because i would like to finish my studies as quickly as i can. Im sorry if i sound rude but i dont see the point in taking a gap year unless you want to do somehting in it. For me personally, i wouldnt do anything inside of it. My predicit grades are fine for A-levels but my GCSE are not meeting the entry requirements and i would need to revise the new spec to resit
(edited 5 years ago)
its because i would like to finish my studies as quickly as i can. Im sorry if i sound rude but i dont see the point in taking a gap year unless you want to do somehting in it. For me personally, i wouldnt do anything inside of it. My predicit grades are fine for A-levels but my GCSE are not meeting the entry requirements and i would need to revise the new spec to resit

Ah, I see. If you'd explained that in the first post, I wouldn't have suggested a gap year. I agree, in that case taking a gap year won't help.

Is it a maths/English GCSE that's causing the problem? In that case you would need to resit, and you can arrange this for next summer and apply with a GCSE pending grade. Yes, it's extra work, but there's usually very little flexibility on these.

Otherwise, if it's just that your GCSEs don't meet the ideal profile, I think it's worth applying and seeing what happens- do some research and find out which universities care less about GCSEs and more about other factors in your application. You can always use your fifth choice for optometry.
Reply 8

I don't know about Dentistry offer rates but most (60%) Medicine applicants don't get any offers first time around. Many reapply successfully in a gap year.

However, if you are currently not meeting their minimum GCSE requirements it's extremely unlikely a university will progress your application. They tend to be strict on GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
My partner couldn't decide between 2 courses at the same uni so they went through UCAS and applied for the first one (I think History?) with UCAS along with their other uni choices, then went directly to the uni and applied for the second course (I think that one was Ancient History) through them, bypassing UCAS that time around (could have been the other way around I don't remember) and they got accepted for the first but not the second because the second had higher minimum grades than they were predicted. I think that's how it worked, at least...
Reply 10
Ah, I see. If you'd explained that in the first post, I wouldn't have suggested a gap year. I agree, in that case taking a gap year won't help.

Is it a maths/English GCSE that's causing the problem? In that case you would need to resit, and you can arrange this for next summer and apply with a GCSE pending grade. Yes, it's extra work, but there's usually very little flexibility on these.

Otherwise, if it's just that your GCSEs don't meet the ideal profile, I think it's worth applying and seeing what happens- do some research and find out which universities care less about GCSEs and more about other factors in your application. You can always use your fifth choice for optometry.

Its GCSE science for one of the universities. I am trying to apply for dentistry at Bristol and they have a foundation year. I meet every thing except GCSE sience. My perdicited grades are ABB. Thanks for the help btw i find it extremely helpful.
Reply 11
Original post by MKBH
My partner couldn't decide between 2 courses at the same uni so they went through UCAS and applied for the first one (I think History?) with UCAS along with their other uni choices, then went directly to the uni and applied for the second course (I think that one was Ancient History) through them, bypassing UCAS that time around (could have been the other way around I don't remember) and they got accepted for the first but not the second because the second had higher minimum grades than they were predicted. I think that's how it worked, at least...

ah okay thanks for the help. I was thinking of doing this but i just need to make sure the Universities will allow me to do it. Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by Doonesbury
I don't know about Dentistry offer rates but most (60%) Medicine applicants don't get any offers first time around. Many reapply successfully in a gap year.

However, if you are currently not meeting their minimum GCSE requirements it's extremely unlikely a university will progress your application. They tend to be strict on GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

some universities take GCSE grades/A-levels at 20% UKCAT at 30% and PS(personal statment) at 50%. An example would be bristol. Dont quote me as i might be incorrect (percentages) but the UKCAT and PS are much more valued than Grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
some universities take GCSE grades/A-levels at 20% UKCAT at 30% and PS(personal statment) at 50%. An example would be bristol. Dont quote me as i might be incorrect (percentages) but the UKCAT and PS are much more valued than Grades.

Yes but they still won't progress your application at all if you don't meet their *minimum* GCSE requirements. i.e. for Bristol, an A in Maths and a C in English.

Then their weighting is 15% GCSE, 15% A-levels, 20% UKCAT, 50% PS.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2018/dentistry.pdf
Its GCSE science for one of the universities. I am trying to apply for dentistry at Bristol and they have a foundation year. I meet every thing except GCSE sience. My perdicited grades are ABB. Thanks for the help btw i find it extremely helpful.

Glad you're finding the advice helpful :smile:

If they've specifically asked for science GCSE they're going to want it and there probably won't be the flexibility you get with A-level grades, either.

Could you arrange a retake next summer through your school?
Oh okay i might do something similar. What unis did u appply to for
optometry and dentistry if you dont mind me asking? Also i was thinking of applying to two unis for dentistry and 2 for optometry

The 2:2 combination is fine, it just decreases your chances of getting into dentistry.

You should apply to dental schools that don't put as much weight on grades (I applied to Cardiff, KCL and QMUL which do) - I think Bristol may be good to consider. For optometry, I applied to City.

Edit: I've just read the above posts and @Doonsbury is correct regarding the minimum requirements unfortunately. If you don't meet them, they won't take your application further. You need to apply to schools where you meet *all* minimum requirements.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes but they still won't progress your application at all if you don't meet their *minimum* GCSE requirements. i.e. for Bristol, an A in Maths and a C in English.

Then their weighting is 15% GCSE, 15% A-levels, 20% UKCAT, 50% PS.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2018/dentistry.pdf

ah okay. I get what you mean thanks. I thought that there might be some leeway but as the course is competative, i guess they want all of them emt. Thanks for the infomation/help.
Reply 17
Glad you're finding the advice helpful :smile:

If they've specifically asked for science GCSE they're going to want it and there probably won't be the flexibility you get with A-level grades, either.

Could you arrange a retake next summer through your school?

unfourtunaly no. I would need to find an exam centre which i can sit at.
Reply 18
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The 2:2 combination is fine, it just decreases your chances of getting into dentistry.

You should apply to dental schools that don't put as much weight on grades (I applied to Cardiff, KCL and QMUL which do) - I think Bristol may be good to consider. For optometry, I applied to City.

Edit: I've just read the above posts and @Doonsbury is correct regarding the minimum requirements unfortunately. If you don't meet them, they won't take your application further. You need to apply to schools where you meet *all* minimum requirements.

I thought that QMUL looks at UCAS points more than actual grades?
I thought that QMUL looks at UCAS points more than actual grades?

Well grades translate into UCAS points. The better the grade, the higher the UCAS points. They have a 50:50 weighting on UCAS and UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending