The Student Room Group

University and having children

. Hello,

I'm starting university in September to be Bsc (Hons) Social Work, I am coming up to being 27 in November and want to know how people coped while having children at university or getting pregnant, myself and my husband have both considered the options and think that the best route is to do my first year and try to conceive in my second year, defer a year and go back to do my final year, by the time I graduate and finish my ASYE and become an NQSW we will both be coming onto mid 30's and with no children at the moment we would like two children and think mid 30's is getting on the older side for us.

could anyone let me know how you managed with the same situation? social work students would really help :smile:

xx
Original post by RJD91
. Hello,

I'm starting university in September to be Bsc (Hons) Social Work, I am coming up to being 27 in November and want to know how people coped while having children at university or getting pregnant, myself and my husband have both considered the options and think that the best route is to do my first year and try to conceive in my second year, defer a year and go back to do my final year, by the time I graduate and finish my ASYE and become an NQSW we will both be coming onto mid 30's and with no children at the moment we would like two children and think mid 30's is getting on the older side for us.

could anyone let me know how you managed with the same situation? social work students would really help :smile:

xx

Not a Social Work student, but I have custody of a special needs grandson which can be hard at times. I am 70 and just completed my Criminology degree this summer.
One of my daughters has 5 children and doing her Law degree. Her youngest is just 5 months old. Doable and stressful at times. Two girls in my class had babies just before the start of 2nd year and they coped just fine.
Reply 2
My mum was a mature student and didn't go to university until she was 28. But she finished her degree first and then had me when she was 33. Maybe you should consider finishing university first before you have children instead of disrupting your studies intentionally? I don't understand why the rush to have children so quickly when you have something else to focus on first. What happens if you have your child and then need to defer for more than a year? Situations like this are how people end up leaving their degrees early and not going back to finish them until much later in life, if at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending