The Student Room Group

Confessions are such a good idea

I’m not Christian (I’m a not very religious Muslim)
But I really think that confessions are such a good idea.
The fact that you can go to a box and confess all the things that have been pulling you down for free is such a good idea.
I mean it’s like free therapy. Only problem is the religious solutions they give to your problems (which are most of the time nonsense)

I’ve always wanted to go to confessions. Since I was little. I feel like religion really can be negative with all the sins. But just talking to someone about it is amazing.

Who else agrees.

Forgive me father for I have sinned so so many times.
I get what you mean and in that sense they’re a good idea but it depends what sort of person you are.

I was brought up as a Christian and went to confession throughout my childhood. I would never actually admit the things I felt sorry for or things that were really bothering me - I’d just say generic stuff like arguing with my sister, not listening to my parents, etc.

Also it depends which Priest you go to. I found talking to one I didn’t know was so much easier than talking to my Parish Priest who I was friends with.

I suppose if you’re comfortable enough to be open, it can be really great. My dad is very religious and not awkward/shy at all so it helps him a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by Rhodesian
The fact that you can go to a box and confess all the things that have been pulling you down for free is such a good idea.
I mean it’s like free therapy. Only problem is the religious solutions they give to your problems (which are most of the time nonsense)

I’ve always wanted to go to confessions. Since I was little. I feel like religion really can be negative with all the sins. But just talking to someone about it is amazing.

Who else agrees.

You think confessing your personal sins to a stranger (usually alone together) is a good idea ?
I think it's a total nonsense and a very core part of a rather wicked system of control. Psychological, repressive, awful.

If you believe in God then you can confess your sins to him yourself. No need for a fake human intermediary.
I think it was a nice idea for its time, but it's very outdated now.
It's so much easier and more anonymous to use the internet, whether it's a fully anonymous website like 4chan, or a semi-anonymous site like here, you can talk to anyone who's interested in what you have to say, rather than some random person without much of a genuine interest, who you might also see around town later. Also, if you use the internet, you're more likely to get helpful (or at least more practical) advice, rather than a religious answer with blatant "god is the answer" overtones.
Nah just confess directly to God if you truly believe in him

As for me, I regret not my actions because regretting wastes time. Do good deeds to make up for your sins instead bro and your guilt will fly off :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by Rhodesian

Who else agrees.

Catholics go to confession, Christians don't confess to man, only to God. There is a distinction here.

The bible teaches no person here on earth has the authority to forgive us our sins. Only God forgives sin, only God judges and only God saves.

The moment Jesus died for us the curtain in the temple that was dividing us from going to God personally ripped open, that means we can go straight to God, who is our heavenly Father, and if we confess our sins to Him the bible says He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.

Matthew 27 v 51 When Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, He yielded up His spirit. At that moment the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth quaked and the rocks were split. The tombs broke open, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised.…

Matthew 27:54 When the centurion and those with him guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified and said, "Truly this was the Son of God."

I agree its good to get things of your chest. But you can just go direct to God and talk to Him. :smile:
Reply 7
making a confession can light up your heart from the burden it posses from perticular sin
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
I think it's a total nonsense and a very core part of a rather wicked system of control. Psychological, repressive, awful.

If you believe in God then you can confess your sins to him yourself. No need for a fake human intermediary.

I know we don't see eye to eye Pilgrim. And I know you don't believe in God, but this is a fair post for a non-believer and is true. I agree that religions are here to control the masses. I agree with what you say about the Eu. But regarding the existence of God and His character, we disagree.
Original post by Drummond
And I know you don't believe in God,

I never said this. I simply don't believe for one second the notion of "God" that is presented and maintained by the various churches nor that which is portrayed in a literal interpretation of the Bible. All of that is a lie imho, a deception which serves as the foundation of the system of control which religion uses to enslave people.

There is clearly, to my mind, a universal "oneness", a pure energy of which we are all made, of which everything is made. Immortal, indestructible, an energy which purifies all that it touches and brings to perfection.

Everything is in a state of flux, change is the only constant. Eventually all will return to that oneness. We will all return to that source. It is in us and we are in it. One and the same.

I am God, and God is me. One and the same. All part of the universal source.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending